Kindergartener Gets Political

Guest blogger Dawn: Today in my kindergartener's class, a child began passing out political bumper stickers ... because her daddy told her to!

Young Girl holding sign

I volunteer in my child's classroom one day a week. Today, I saw a little girl putting bumper stickers in every kid's cubby. The teacher approached her and asked her what she was doing. She said she was passing out bumper stickers to all her friends in kindergarten because her daddy told her to.

The bumper stickers said "Yes on 8" which is a hot button issue in California right now. Yes on 8 means you don't want gay marriage to stay legal in California. I couldn't believe my eyes! The teacher told her that she couldn't pass the bumper stickers out and put them back in her backpack.

I was outraged a parent would send a child to school with bumper stickers like this. We all have the right to believe the way we want to, but we shouldn't use our kids as our political pawns in my opinion.

What do you think? Comment in the momlogic community.

next: No Excuse Not to Vote
Steph October 31, 2008, 12:13 PM

I just feel this is wrong of that parent imposing his political views on others..much less little ones. It almost seems sneaky because the little ones may just think it is a pretty post card or something and carry it around..and as a result it gets to the adult parent. This is an adult topic that should remain among the adults. And that father will have his chance to express his opinion in the voting booth…no need to put his opinion in the hands of little ones as his mail carriers. Just wrong.

Kelly October 31, 2008, 3:21 PM

what a butthead! i can’t believe he would do that!!!! to me, politics are personal. i will talk to my family and CLOSE friends, but i’ll be damned if i would do something like that, much less have my child do it, especially on an issue as Prop8.

Anonymous October 31, 2008, 3:31 PM

Oh get over it. I would like to commend that dad. He obiviously has morals and cares about his nation. Why should politics be a private issue…only if you are embarrased of who you are voting for or have no idea what the canidates stand for. Our bills still say in God we Trust. Our nation was founded on the principles of the Bible and each person should have the right to voice their opinion. God gives us children to train up in His way, not to be their friend but to show them right from wrong. This man was being a good parent and showing his child what is right and good in the sight of the Lord. If a muslim came into school and brought his koran with him and tried to make other kids believe what it said it wouldn’t be an issue. Because we can’t offend the muslims but the christians must keep their mouths shut. NO!! Just wait and see……it won’t be long and muslims will be running our great country, America bc their are not enough christians that are willing to take a stand.

Patrick October 31, 2008, 3:58 PM

Anonymous,
I’m pretty sure that if a Muslim came into school and tried to make other people believe what the Koran said, it would be a huge issue. Proselytizing has no place in public schools. Also, why do people supporting Prop. 8 keep trying to teach about gay marriage in schools? Those of us voting against Prop. 8 know that it’s not appropriate to teach about gay marriage in schools, especially not to kindergarteners.

kelly October 31, 2008, 4:46 PM

anonymous - i just don’t believe who i vote for is any of your business….notice i said i will talk with my family and close friends…NOT WITH YOU or any other person i don’t know that well, not because i am embarrased by who i am voting for.

lolz October 31, 2008, 5:56 PM

this is ridiculous. and anonymous, i’m christian, but am not self righteous or narrow minded. this country was also founded on murder, theft, rape, and all sorts of goodies that our forefathers did to take it away from those who were already here. don’t forget that our forefathers were also slave owners. i like how self righteous christians forget those things.

CLM October 31, 2008, 6:30 PM

Anonymous - we have a secret ballot in this country for a reason.

Christy October 31, 2008, 6:42 PM

I have purposely shared the meaning of Prop 8 with my kindergartener. It’s important to me that he understands that people have different opinions, that they have the right to vote opposing what our family believes. He knows that although we teach him to be respectful and that all people deserve equality, there are mean-spirited people who try to take away rights.

I certainly wouldn’t allow him to pass out “No on 8” stickers at school, no matter how strongly we all feel about this.

Andy October 31, 2008, 8:23 PM

This country was not founded on the principles of the Bible. It was founded on the principle that people didn’t want to pay taxes.

There is no God and if there was he/she wouldn’t care where any one put there ding dong or hooha.

jane November 1, 2008, 12:09 AM

Unreal. I am outraged that this parent would put their child in such an awkward and criticized position. Shame on them.

Jenny November 1, 2008, 2:01 AM

Perhaps this child’s father did this, because he didn’t like his child being forced to sign a card, agreeing to support something they aren’t even yet old enough to understand?

Face it, you don’t believe parents have the right to object to anything you personally decide to force down their children’s throats. You lack the intelligence to understand that you are rationalizing violating the seperation between church and state, and believe that you have the right to intimidate and persecute others who don’t agree with you.. that’s the definition of a fascist.

ROGO November 3, 2008, 9:10 AM

What’s wrong with this parent using their innocent child to promote their own beliefs? Politics is a personal touchy subject that you should NOT push your opinions on to others who may disagree…ESPECIALLY through the eyes of a child! What the heck’s wrong with this parent??!!!!

CAROL November 3, 2008, 10:24 AM

THIS IS NOTHING NEW AND YES THIS IS HOW CHILDREN LEARN HOW TO HATE AND IT STAYS WITH THEM THE REST OF THEIR LIVES. HATRED IS NOT A DISEASE BUT A LEARNED BEHAVIOR PROBLEM.

Chris November 3, 2008, 12:11 PM

Sorry, anonymous (10/31), your comment about our country being founded on the Bible is totally wrong! George Washington said “in no way is the constitution of the United States based on christianity”. Ever heard of “separation of church and state”? Politics is in no way a religious endeavor…do you think God or Jesus would ever choose a political party? As a matter of fact, Jesus never even commented on the government of his day…check it out. According to the Bible, Jesus hung out with many people who were looked down upon when he was here and he always preached tolerance and love! If you want to refer to the Bible, why don’t you do the same?

Janell November 3, 2008, 2:01 PM

This is a very touchy subject for a lot of people. But it is an opinion. Whether we believe in this or not, it is your opinion. I understand that the father was trying get this out there and have your vote in what you feel is right, but again it it totally up to the individual to vote on how they feel is right. You should not do this through a small child who doesnt understand what it is all about anyway. At that age all is very innocent. My daughter has asked about seeing two women together or vice a versa and all I say is that they chose to be with that person and leave it at that, she doesnt ask anymore and she is 4 1/2. I dont think that she needs to know anymore. Please leave your own opinion to yourself. That is the great thing about being an American you are allowed to make your own decisions whether somebody else agrees with you or not.

Jessica November 3, 2008, 2:36 PM

I think that is absolutely rediculous. For one thing, it should be the right of an individual to choose who they love and want to be with the rest of their life. What if they had a law against mixed race marraiges? Or if you were so many years apart, that is illegal. If you dont support gay marriage than so be it, but I don’t think that it should be the majority to chose. In any case. Whether the sticker said vote “yes” or “no”, that’s not right what her “daddy” asked her to do. Kids minds are impressionable enough. Don’t you think we should try and use that for good? Like teaching them they have a right to choose? And not follow along because of what someone else thinks or believes? And as for the bible and jesus comments? If the country’s foundation was about the bible…why are they teaching evolution in school, and not creationism? I’m not saying either is correct. And the bible also tells stories about god telling his “people” to murder other ppl, including babies…so if you want to preach about how he spoke about loving, preach about how he spoke of the bad things too.

Amanda November 3, 2008, 5:01 PM

Prop 8 states that we do not want to change the definition of marriage. NOT that 2 gay people can’t spend their lives together. No proposition can MAKE people not live with who they want. Get the facts straight!

Anon November 4, 2008, 6:44 PM

I had a young boy pass an Obama sticker out to me when he came trick or treating to my house. I thought I was supposed to give out stuff, not him.