Bristol Palin's Baby Daddy Speaks

Hear what this dad-to-be has to say.

Levi Johnston

The Palin kids might be off-limits for the press, but that isn't stopping their boyfriends from talking to the media. Levi Johnston, the soon-to-be-son-in-law of the Sarah Palin sideshow, sat down with the Associated Press to set the record straight.

First order of business: there's no shotgun wedding in the works. He's happy he's getting hitched to his 17-year-old pregnant girlfriend, Bristol. As for that infamous MySpace page where he described himself as a "redneck" and pledged "I don't want kids" -- he says it was a joke his friends hashed up.

"I'm looking forward to having him [the baby]," he said. "I'm going to take him hunting and fishing. He'll be everywhere with me." Him? Now we know!

It's true, Bristol's pregnancy was a surprise, but it didn't phase the Wasilla hockey star. "We were planning on getting married a long time ago with or without the kid," he said. Last July, he went hunting and lost a promise ring Bristol gave him. Rather than replace it, he tattooed her name on his finger so he wouldn't have to bother with rings anymore. The details of their summer wedding are still sketchy, but some of his hockey teammates will be in the wedding party.

While his future mother-in-law is feverishly working the campaign trail in an attempt to keep John McCain's failing election bid from imploding entirely, Johnston has dropped out of school to take a job in the North Slope oil fields. "I'm still the same old boy," he said. "I'm just a workin' man."

next: Think Your Kid is Healthy? Ha!
abby's mom October 13, 2008, 2:13 PM

sounds like an upstanding guy.

The Kid? October 13, 2008, 2:14 PM

“We were planning on getting married a long time ago with or without the kid.”

Wow, Levi. Too. Much. Enthusiasm.

Then again, can’t expect too much from this teen dad!

Charles October 13, 2008, 2:14 PM

More bashing from the moonbat left, the kid is doing the right thing and all you journalists can add is: “…John McCain’s failing election bid…” You wish.

halen October 13, 2008, 2:53 PM

dropping out of school? good job!
and I’m wary of ANY teenagers who say they’ve been planning to get married for “a long time” — they’re teenagers! the majority of high school relationships don’t last!

and Charles, Obama is up 10 points now. when McCain has to resort to attacking Obama and he continues to fall behind in the polls… I think that can be considered “failing.”

Steff October 13, 2008, 3:20 PM

FWIW, my husband [of 12 years] and I were “high school sweethearts” too, so don’t judge him too harshly!!!
I think he’s doing the right thing by supporting the baby and bristol, I do think he should get his GED tho….
Best of luck to the young couple!!!

Urgh October 13, 2008, 3:29 PM

Why do people think getting married is the honorable thing? Men, especially 19 year-old ones, tend to be crap husbands (not ALL of them, just MOST of them) but can turn out as OK dads. They are both young. Why get married? Because its socially conservative? At this point, isn’t that like putting a bandaid on an amputation wound? I don’t think its cute. I think its transparently insincere.

Xcott October 13, 2008, 3:32 PM

He also turned 18 this year but didn’t register to vote… so he has no say in whether his future mom-in-law gets Alaska’s electoral votes.

pcd October 13, 2008, 4:07 PM

“As for that infamous MySpace page where he described himself as a ‘redneck’ and pledged “I don’t want kids” — he says it was a joke his friends hashed up.”

And I have a bridge to nowhere I’d like to sell you.

Adele October 13, 2008, 4:10 PM

So is education not a priority in this family?? This is one of the reasons why I have such a huge problem with Palin. She is NOT managing her family very well. Why wouldn’t they still guide this KIDS and get them to finish high school and encourage a college education!!!!

nicole October 13, 2008, 6:12 PM

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a Palin fan and I think there’s too much controversy for these two to be getting married. However, Adele - Levi quitting school really should have nothing to do with the Palin crew. He’s not their child and therefore it’s not their decision; maybe that is something he or him and HIS parents thought would be best (for the record: FINISH SCHOOL!!!!! It will only be harder once you have a child, do it while you can).

Adele October 13, 2008, 7:34 PM

Nicole- We can assume there is a whole lot going on behind the scenes in that whole scenario and of course time will tell. Remember, these kids made a bad choice in the first place which showed their lack of maturity. I would really hope both parents would actually parent both kids for once. Palins could certainly encourage both kids to make better choices for the grandchilds sake. He just still sounds so immature in the interview. Basically he is just a high school dropout who got a 17 year old dropout pregnant. They make it sound so glorifying and its not!

Clara The Psychic October 13, 2008, 8:20 PM

This is all well and good except for the fact that he is guilty of statutory rape. His girlfriend is under age and Alaska is part of the USA and they must abide by our laws. More importantly, why did it take Sarah’s VP nomination to force them to get married? Any devout Christian mother would have made sure the baby was not born out of wedlock. It was not until after Palin’s VP nomination that their marriage plans surfaced and all is well in Hockey-mom-ville. This is totally absurd! How can anyone beleive this BS? Five months of pregancy until the same week when Palin is nominated, they announce their wedding vows? Cummon folks, you are bein’ duped!

Becca October 13, 2008, 8:53 PM

I feel sorry for the kids. I believe that what he had to say was cute, yet immature and nieve. I think her campaign managers are behind this wedding and that’s sad.

Jas October 13, 2008, 11:10 PM

He is not guilty of statutory rape, because the age of consensual sex on Alaska is 16.

Seems he was already planing a future with Bristol, and her pregnancy just accelerated those plans. And if it works out for them, good. He’s taking steps to support his family; doesn’t sound immature to me.

I am glad to hear their parents aren’t forcing them to wed.

Adele October 14, 2008, 2:09 AM

That is hilarious Jas!!

Sheli October 14, 2008, 6:37 AM

It looks like Bristol has been playing Mommy to her younger siblings while Sarah is out doing her thing anyway. At least if she gets married and moves out she will only have one baby to care for!
I agree with him finishing school. Although a college diploma doesn’t go as far these days, a high school diploma is in most cases a necessity!

Jen October 14, 2008, 11:20 AM

yeah, good luck with that marriage… let’s hope the democratic friends and family that palin referenced will have some influence on them in life

gina October 14, 2008, 1:26 PM

it is hard enough for adults to make these kinds of decisions. why isnt anyone encouraging them to finish there education and then if they are still together then they can think of marriage. getting married is not going to make it anymore right, the child is already conceived. only the future can tell. Let them grow into the persons they will be.how could they possibly know what they want.parents wake up and give them better advice then what is being done.

Jas October 14, 2008, 2:04 PM

What’s hilarious Adele?

I do think that Levi should at least get his GED, and they both can take college courses online. If they put in the effort, they can make it work.

Lori M October 14, 2008, 8:58 PM

Good for Levi! He is doing exactly what any good man would do. He is excepting responsibility for his actions. Some people look down on that these days. I guess times have changed. Unfortunetly, they have changed in a bad way. America’s moral values have fallen to the liberal side and unfortunetly that leaves Christian’s out. It’s time we took back what has been taken from us. If you are wondering exactly what that is let me fill you in: Christians are denied the right to even mention God in schools. Christians are denied the right to have the ten commandments in Government installations such as a court room. Christians are made out to be ANTI-abortionists rather than FOR LIFE because we believe life begins at conception. Christians are made out to be bad people because we want babies from botched abortions to be given medical care. Christians are made out to be bad because we respect the passage in the Bible that refers to marriage as one man and one woman. AND NOW, Barack Obama wants to take the rest of our rights away. He will take money from those who work hard and give to those who don’t. He calls this spreading the wealth around. I call this STEALING!!!! How much more will we allow to be stolen from us?!!!