Bristol Palin's Baby Daddy Speaks

Hear what this dad-to-be has to say.

Levi Johnston

The Palin kids might be off-limits for the press, but that isn't stopping their boyfriends from talking to the media. Levi Johnston, the soon-to-be-son-in-law of the Sarah Palin sideshow, sat down with the Associated Press to set the record straight.

First order of business: there's no shotgun wedding in the works. He's happy he's getting hitched to his 17-year-old pregnant girlfriend, Bristol. As for that infamous MySpace page where he described himself as a "redneck" and pledged "I don't want kids" -- he says it was a joke his friends hashed up.

"I'm looking forward to having him [the baby]," he said. "I'm going to take him hunting and fishing. He'll be everywhere with me." Him? Now we know!

It's true, Bristol's pregnancy was a surprise, but it didn't phase the Wasilla hockey star. "We were planning on getting married a long time ago with or without the kid," he said. Last July, he went hunting and lost a promise ring Bristol gave him. Rather than replace it, he tattooed her name on his finger so he wouldn't have to bother with rings anymore. The details of their summer wedding are still sketchy, but some of his hockey teammates will be in the wedding party.

While his future mother-in-law is feverishly working the campaign trail in an attempt to keep John McCain's failing election bid from imploding entirely, Johnston has dropped out of school to take a job in the North Slope oil fields. "I'm still the same old boy," he said. "I'm just a workin' man."

next: Think Your Kid is Healthy? Ha!
Janice October 14, 2008, 9:43 PM

Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder.

If one talks the talk they should walk the walk.

Pam October 14, 2008, 11:35 PM

For all of you fools out there who think teenagers don’t know jack about getting married, I have you know that I was 19 when I got married, was with my husband 3 years before that and we have now been married for 32 years. Age has no bounderies when it comes to love and marriage. Just because your a teen doesn’t mean you don’t know what your doing. Look at all the “adults” who get married and divorced over and over and can’t get it right. Give the kids a break, they are doing what they think is right and it’s their business anyway

Pam October 14, 2008, 11:38 PM

Hey Clara, you can’t rape a willing soul! In other words, let me break it down for ya,…..HE asked, SHE consented, THEY did it, and IT wasn’t rape,….get over it!

Janice October 15, 2008, 12:09 AM

Geez Pam!

She is 17 years old. She should be shopping for prom dresses. Stop glorifying it.

I got married at 19 too and have been married 31 years. It was different times then. I communicated abstinance to my kids, also for the disease factor as well. We talked about self respect and the importance of college and making the right decision.

Sounds like he is going off to work in the oil fields. That means 17 year old raising baby without Daddy around too. I certainly hope the best for those two, but these kids still need guidance.

Pam October 15, 2008, 12:26 AM

Hey Janice, How do you know they don’t have guidance? You can’t always believe what you read or hear on the news or paper. Those kids are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. People would be giving them crap if he didn’t marry her, or if she had an abortion. THEY are not running for President, or VP, they are just 2 teenagers who happen to be related to someone who is, and it only goes to show you they are human and it can happen to anyone at any time. They are doing what they think best, it’s their business. Just because I along with some others are ok with it doesn’t mean we don’t have good morals and judgment, we think its ok they didn’t finish school and hey, it’s great they made a baby. It all boils down to IT HAPPENED and now THEY have to do what they think best, not what the American people feel they should. I’m sure if they would have been thinking clearly when they got caught in the heat of the moment they would have done things different but there is no use crying over spilled milk, they have to live with it, we don’t!

Janice October 15, 2008, 1:41 AM

I say it shows a lack of parenting on both sides. Parents who are preaching “family values and morals” and the I am better than you attitude. If this was a non-celebrity status, say a lower class family, I think all you people who support Palin would be in different judgement. It totally bothers me with people like Sarah Palin. They wear there Christianity on their sleeve, going around spreading hate and not walking the walk. Supporters tout her abilities as she raised 5 children and been governor. Well it looks like she sure wasnt at home supervising her childs whereabouts. “Caught in the heat of the moment”. Betcha it was more than once, along with alcohol which was in pictures posted. My kids knew I was at the door when they came in to get real close and give them a hug. They also knew if I ever smelt alcohol…cars gone. They are both thriving in college…doing things in the right order.

Pam October 15, 2008, 9:34 AM

Ya, and I bet if you look at your kids facebook or myspace you’ll see pics of them partying and drinking it up right along with the rest of the kids! NEVER think your above the same thing happening to one of your kids. I have 3 daughters but they never got in trouble with drugs, drinking, or pregnant, but I would have accepted it and delt with it if it did. Kids are kids and they all do things behind parents backs, I bet you did too!

Are you Kidding Me? October 15, 2008, 10:20 AM

I love how everyone seems to think that “encouraging” or “managing” or “parenting” done by the parents is going to influence the decision of age 16+ kids. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I knew about three kids in high school that actually did what their parents asked of them, I was not included with that number, and I bet a number of you weren’t either. Stop being delusional and expecting a parent to all of a sudden know exactly how to STOP their child from having sex, dropping out of school, or throwing their life away. Let’s also remember that they are very young, the mistakes they make now can always be remedied. Give everyone a break - stop putting Sarah Palin on a pedestal of a better mom than the rest of us. If you think your teenager listens to you and obeys you, they (and I) are laughing at you behind your back…

Lori M October 15, 2008, 10:50 AM

Levi is doing the right thing…that’s all we need to know. The rest is up to them and nobody else.

Chris October 15, 2008, 11:00 AM

Why is it ok for Bristol but the country bashed Jamie Lynn Spears. I think we have double standards depending if you believe in organized religion. As far as I’m concerned the whole Palin family appears to be have standards straight out of the trailer park.

Pam October 15, 2008, 11:42 AM

There are good people who live in trailers! I get so sick of hearing and blaming things on people who live in trailers. Until you walk in other peoples shoes you should not judge people by where they live. In today’s economy most people are 1 paycheck away from wishing they had a trailer to live in so don’t knock it! AND have you every heard it doesn’t matter how religious you are, what color your skin is, how much money you have, or how good of a parent you think you are,….KIDS WILL BE KIDS and no matter what, they do things that parents don’t like.

Pam October 15, 2008, 11:47 AM

No one said it was “ok” for Bristol and not Jamie Lynn, everyone needs to keep their nasty comments to themselves and take care of their own because you never know when it will happen to one of your kids! I said it’s already happened so why dwell on it and let the family deal with it because it’s their business

Janice October 15, 2008, 12:03 PM

Hey Pam… What makes you think that every
teenager has sex and does drugs and alcohol??? I know plenty who kept on track and didnt make stupid decisions and are in college.

I’ve had a girl and a boy go through high school. The kids that got into trouble were usually:

A) From parents that seemed to like them to be “popular” and allowed them to run wild.

B) From parents who were so busy with their own lives, the kids were unsupervised with too much time on their hands and not much to answer too.

Again, I wish for the best, but I get tired of the oh well attitude. Especially when Palin fans list one of her credentials as a mom of 5. I think both her teenagers ran wild and both of them ended up in trouble because she is selfish. Anyone can have a baby. Its the teenage years especially now that parents really need to pay attention!! Shes governing and now campaigning…he was off fishing and snowmobiling and now campaigning. No wonder.

Lori M October 16, 2008, 9:26 AM

Justine You are very judgmental and your assumptions are very wrong. Apparently, you are prejudice against Christian moral values. Let me guess, you are not a Christian. You are a liberal and anything goes in your world. It’s so easy to judge when you have no moral values, isn’t it? I feel sorry for you.

Janice October 16, 2008, 11:45 AM

Well Lori, what makes you any better because YOU just judged me and made assumptions about me!

I get tired of people like you who hide behind the “Christian moral values”. You cant just say you are Christian. Anyone can do that. You have to lead the life. I am a Christian, but I am not your kind of extreme Christian.

My moral values are just fine and I have passed them on to my kids who have managed to stay out of trouble and not been pregnant!

I kind of have a problem with you too. You spread some hateful things about Obama on these boards and they arent true. Where are YOUR moral values?

??? October 16, 2008, 4:22 PM

I tried to post a comment about my opinion on this issue along with some information on the type of job that Levi Johnston supposedly has and what he could possibly earn. And it has not shown up? I hope it shows up soon… but if not I’ll try again.

Basically people in the a career that Johnston has chosen make on average $50,000k annually … That’s pretty darn good. They work 84 hour work weeks for SIX weeks, then get two weeks off. It’s not as if this young man took a job that requires minimal amount of work and pays minimum wage. He took a job where in tough climate, where hard work is expected , and in which he can get training to move up in a respectable career.
He’s a young man in tough situation who is making good decisions.

Pam October 17, 2008, 10:51 AM

I have you to know JANICE, I don’t think EVERY kid is doing drugs, having sex and drinking, I DIDN’T SAY THAT! I said, NEVER think your above it, or your kids will never do it. It happens in the best of families. Thank God it didn’t happen to any of my girls because I think I raised them well, If it had I would have delt with it and not blame myself, EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN MIND!, BUT KIDS DON’T ALWAYS LISTEN TO PARENTS! YOU think you have perfect kids, CHECK THEIR MYSPACE OR FACEBOOK, maybe you’ll see different. At least I don’t have my head in the sand thinking everything is perfect in my perfect world, because I did the BEST of the rest job!

Lori M October 18, 2008, 11:17 AM

Pam It is hard to get through a tough shell like Janice’s. I am guessing she lives in a glass house…perhaps she shouldn’t be throwing stones. I raised my children in a loving, Christian based home, too. My daughter was sexually assaulted at the age of 15 and became pregnant. She was judged harshly by people like Janice who just ASSUME things. They didn’t know what had happened to my daughter and frankly it was none of their business. My daughter was tormented and teased by her peers, other parents, and her teachers. She was stared at and CALLED UGLY NAMES. Despite the horror she managed to live through she is now a strong, independent woman who is raising her beautiful son. She lives on her own and works in the Intensive Care Unit at a hospital. She hopes to work in labor and delivery one day. She wants to be able to help young girls just like her through a difficult time in their lives. I am proud of my daughter. She is an inspiration to me. Her peers, who once judged her, now look to her for advice. Amazing how things can turn around.
I am sure Levi and Bristol will do just fine. They are fortunate to have such a great support system. They are blessed because they have each other. And soon they will be blessed with a beautiful young son.

Always a mom October 18, 2008, 1:47 PM

Pretty intense emotions out there, reality is teenagers will be teenagers. They follow the same bell curve we as adults do, some will very good, some not so good and the vast majority will fall in the middle. I have 3 adult children, they all knew they could come to me with any question, or problem. Sometimes they did, somethings not, I couldn’t make them talk to me, just needed to available to them, and I was. 2 things I really pushed hard on; I wasn’t born at 40, meaning I remember what it was like,although it was a long time ago some things never change; 2nd, if your are going to engage in adult behavior be prepared to accept the responsibility of the consequence. I had more trouble with my son than my daughters, and it took lots of conversions. I made it very clear that he was in control of the choices he made and that I would not give him any free ride or bail him out. He didn’t take me serious, until he crossed a line and it hurt me to watch him deal, but I let it happen. The situation was not major, but the lesson learned was huge. He was not a saint, just a ‘normal’ kid, as are his sisters. Being a parent is the hardest job I have every held, and there is a lot I could do to help them along, but the bottom line is, children are not an extension of who we are, but independent persons with their own mind and will make their own choices, just like we did as children and continue to do as adults. There is not right or wrong there are only choices.

e October 18, 2008, 2:06 PM

the responses on this website continue to make me sad.. so much hatred and judgment towards others.. not to mention, the obsession with knocking Sarah Palin in general is just disturbing, making it about her children is not fair.. The thing I admire about Bristol Palin and JamieLynn Spears is HOW they’ve handled it. I can’t begin to imagine being their age and pregnant, then add the media attention, and everything else and it’s got to be terrifying. I am impressed with their ability to take responsibility for their actions, when it would have been alot easier to go another route.. I am not going to bash Bristol, or her family because my family has our own issues.. I encourage everyone else to do the same because in today’s culture it could very well be YOUR child.