Man Loses Job, Kills Family

Meet the latest victims of the nation's economic crisis.

45-year-old financial manager Karthik Rajaram lost his job and watched as his portfolio was wiped out by the stock market collapse. Police say the stress apparently led him to kill his wife, mother-in-law and three sons (age 19, 12, and 7) and then take his own life.

"This is a perfect American family behind me that has absolutely been destroyed, apparently because of a man who just got stuck in a rabbit hole, if you will, of absolute despair, somehow working his way into believing this to be an acceptable exit," said LAPD Deputy Chief Michel Moore. "It is critical to step up and recognize we are in some pretty troubled times."

Momlogic contributor Rabbi Sherre Hirsch, author of "We Plan, God Laughs: Ten Steps to Finding Your Divine Path When Life is Not Turning Out Like You Wanted," says that sort of financial pressure and strain can sometimes feel like too much to bear.

"This is a wakeup call to how important it is to have those difficult conversations about finances," she says. "A lot of people have come to me for counseling who are greatly stressed by money. After all, money problems are the leading cause of divorce in this country. In an economic strain, people often lose perspective. They think something like foreclosure or losing a job is a life-or-death situation, when it doesn't have to be. That's why talking to someone else is crucial, to help you regain perspective."

If you can't bring yourself to talk to your spouse, Hirsch recommends starting out by talking to a counselor or clergy member, friend, or financial advisor. "This will help remind you that you're not alone," she says. "Millions of Americans are in the same boat you are. Even if you lose your house, you still have your family. Your husband and your kids -- that's home. In the end, that's all that really matters."

next: Your Brat Makes Me Feel Like a Bad Mom
Megan October 8, 2008, 9:10 AM

Is this about marriage problems or a man who obviously had problems with his own sanity?!? REGARDLESS the REAL underlying issue, KILLING YOUR FAMILY IS WAY WAY WRONG!!!!
Blaming the crash of the stock market is low, and I mean LOW, not to mention disrespectful to those who this man killed. He should’ve just killed himself. But killing 5 members PLUS himself is just plain SICK!!!
All this article is trying to do is justifying what this “man” has done!
Stress is one thing but stress doesn’t lead people to kill someone. Its their insanity and sickness that does it!

Rao October 9, 2008, 4:28 AM

What ever the problems are, no one in this world has any right to kill anyone. Afterall your own blood and meat. How can anyone kill his own children.Sympathy is on the family for trusting this kind of man. After killing, he wrote 3 letters. Really something sick in his mind. Poor children, wife and mother-in-law.

Chandra October 9, 2008, 4:37 AM

So sick this person is. He can go back to India and pull rickshaw to feed his family. Then he would have called a hero. As Mr. Rao said, absolutely he has no right to kill his family members. Imagine the whole scene, leaves a lot of heaviness in the heart. Why should he take such a drastic step. He would have worked in any mall or gas station to make his monthly show. He has forgotten that he is residing in a country where there is a dignity of labor.

Anonymous October 9, 2008, 6:24 AM

I feel he should have just took his on life, not his whole family, he had problems deeper than his financial crisis

Anonymous October 9, 2008, 6:24 AM

Jonny January 28, 2009, 11:40 AM

This here is the same situation with these kids and video games. If you kill yourself or other people over something that can be easily overcome, you have a couple of slices missing from your loaf to begin with! Simple as that. I’ve been married for almost 9yrs. and my wife is three months pregnant and if I lost my job tomorrow oh well, I still have them and that is all that matters to me. I came here looking for a job, I will leave here looking for one…We should not even be having this talk!

Anonymous March 1, 2009, 4:54 PM

I think he did the good.cause if he can’t take care of them then no one eals will.Other then just use them sexuly and still not worth of any thing.

Anonymous March 21, 2009, 10:17 AM

he has problems

Rab  January 18, 2010, 10:40 AM

He did the rite thing and I wish alot of us have the same corugh to do so.And get out of this mess.