McCain Calls Obama "That One"

In the debate last night, John McCain referred to Barack Obama as "That One." Check out the video.

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe referenced the remark in his post-debate statement. "John McCain was all over the map on the issues, and he is so angry about the state of his campaign that he referred to Barack Obama as 'that one' -- last time he couldn't look at Senator Obama, this time he couldn't say his name," Plouffe said, referencing the first presidential debate at the University of Mississippi.

What do you think?

Related Galleries

next: Man Says He Had Sex Against His Will
valerie October 8, 2008, 3:25 PM

i think it was a little rude to refer to Senator Obama as “that one,” but at the same time, my mom use to refer to me as that, quite often so, I don’t see the real harm in it, either.

mary October 8, 2008, 3:53 PM

Yes, I posted on this on another article here… I don’t see any racism in it. The overall context of the statements had to do with america is tired of the back-and-forth between the candidates and partisans, and so “that one” was referring to “that candidate”. That one, that candidate [over there].

It showed that McCain doesn’t think much of Barack’s smears and he was being dismissive of him, but it was not a derogatory statement. That one, that candidate.

Anonymous October 8, 2008, 4:37 PM

It’s ridiculous that McCain says this. You don’t see Barack Obama saying trash like that. He refers to the Senator by his name. That’s just simple respect & common courtesy. This just reinforces McCain’s age. He sounds like he’s trying to be Senator Obama’s grandfather.

Marci October 8, 2008, 5:30 PM

Mary,

I’m not sure that anyone is implying it is racist. I did think it was awkward, weird, and disrespectful, but not racist.

Anonymous October 8, 2008, 5:35 PM

wasn’t he in lord of the rings?

mary October 8, 2008, 5:39 PM

Hi Marci— well apparently on some of the other threads people are wondering if it came across as a racist comment, and I also saw some of the pundits on the news asking the same thing. To me, that’s making more of it than it really is. Way more.

Anonymous October 8, 2008, 5:47 PM

Oh lord everything has to be about race doesn’t it?!?!?! I don’t think it was anything racist. I don’t even find it that rude! Oh and he refers to McCain as JOHN —by his first name. Some have argued that that shows a lack of respect!

Marci October 8, 2008, 7:57 PM

Mary,

Ok, I was wondering where the racist came from because no one had mentioned it here. I didn’t know you were referring to other boards. I will add..I am a black American, and I did not consider it racist. It did put me off though, because it just seemed…hostile. McCain really came across angry to me last night, and overall his conduct toward Obama just didn’t seem fitting of a presidental candidate.

EmilyR October 8, 2008, 8:13 PM

Marci,

I too am African American and I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Hostile, finger pointing retorts are not what this country needs right now nor in the future. I don’t want someone who lacks common courtesy as McCain has too often demonstrated, to run this great country of ours.

Therese October 9, 2008, 12:01 AM

For all of you saying, its not racist…what’s the big deal? Obviously you all have double standard because you were all up in arms about the “lipstick on a pig” comment. Either it was racist or he knew it would be percieved as such and didn’t care.

Not that this will make any sense to most of you. You’re like, logic-proof or something.

cara October 9, 2008, 12:32 AM

Theresa…you are so funny, you speak the truth, but it’s still funny.

Hey, it’s better then calling him what he is….to quote the violent femmes, add it up!

Marci October 9, 2008, 9:35 AM

Therese,

I really can’t tell where you’re coming from by reading your post. I am one of the posters that didn’t feel McCain’s comment was racist, but I did think it was hostile. At the same time, I didn’t see anything wrong with Obama’s lipstick on a pig comment. I think it is a common expression, and it had nothing to do with Palin. I’m really not understanding the point you are making with your post.

Anna October 9, 2008, 12:07 PM

in all honesty, could McCain manage to say anything that might be a little bit rude and not have the public turn it into a racist statement? I think it was more of slip of the tongue then anything.

Stop reading into everything people

Lori M October 13, 2008, 11:31 AM

This is just ridiculous! Are you serious? REALLY! I agree with Anna. As far as McCain goes, He’s damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t. No matter what he says people will always try to twist what he says into something racist. It is sad that white people of TODAY are still being punished for what others did years ago. Can’t we move forward!!!

Marci October 13, 2008, 2:58 PM

Lori,

I don’t think anyone here said McCain’s comment was racist.

Lori M October 13, 2008, 3:59 PM

Marci, you seem to be the “watch dog” on this comment session. What I was referring too was what some OTHER people have tried to imply, not what this website has said. I knew exactly what McCain was saying, I’ve said it myself. “That one” simply referred to the other candidate and that’s that. No discussion necessary. But, apparently, the left wing media wanted to make a big deal out of nothing, AS USUAL!