Men and Multitasking - WTF???

Momlogic's Melissa: What the f*** is wrong with men that they can't do more than one thing at a time?

stressed man and angry woman

When I first had my son there were many a day when you could have found me strolling the aisles of Target, pushing a shopping cart, talking on the phone, following a list I had written, WHILE breastfeeding. Yes folks, WHILE breastfeeding. Now, for all the women (in particular moms)  out there this comes as no shock, no surprise and might even elicit a "big deal!" from some. Why?  Because we can do more that one goddamned thing at once.

We can drive AND read a map at the same time (and pass snacks into the back seat if needed). We can make sandwiches WHILE we talk to the gas company on the phone and -- miracles of all miracles -- we can actually think AND respond to questions at the same time.

Why is it then that men (my husband in particular) behave as if their heads are going to pop off if they have to do two things at once?

Last night my son's little car rolled under the TV and he asked my husband to get it. Slightly annonyed that he had to get on all fours to get it in the first place, you can imagine his reaction when I dared, deigned, had the sheer audacity to ask him a question when he was "doing something." "WAIT!!!" he half-yelled, "I can't do two things at once!" WTF??? Was he joking? Had the blood rushed to his head while bending down and he no longer knew what he was saying? Sadly the answer was "no."

At first I was mad -- but then I got sad because I realized how far my beloved husband had actually fallen; he could not longer do something AND talk at the same time. In his youth my husband was a male multitasking machine -- he could walk AND talk at the same time, he could have a conversation while watching TV and once in a very blue moon he might even have answered my question WHILE talking to someone else on the phone.

But alas, those days are over and now I quietly dread the day when he announces that he can't answer the question I just asked him because he is too busy breathing!

next: Autistic Two-Year-Olds Look at Mouths, Not Eyes
Trina October 13, 2008, 1:05 PM

LMAO!!!!! i love it! SO TRUE! you’re not alone honey!

shanna October 13, 2008, 2:11 PM

It’s pathetic, isn’t it? But so true. And not only can my man not multitask, he also can’t ever pay attention when we discuss our schedule. I tell him when I have plans, when we have obligations…but then when the day arrives it’s as if he’s hearing it for the first time. And is my husband the only dude in America who NEVER EVER is capable of buying everything on the grocery store shopping list? It’s as if he does it on purpose, but really, I think it’s a gene deficiency!

foxymama October 13, 2008, 2:23 PM

So true! But, maybe we’re sort of lame too…putting ourselves on overload with so many tasks. Let’s stop and smell the roses, right?

Natalie October 13, 2008, 3:52 PM

Unfortunately, my husband is nothing like yours. He’s the multitasking master! I’m the one who blows a gasket when I have to do more than two things at once. Then he gets upset with me for not being able to multitask better. It’s funny and annoying at the same time!

Kira October 13, 2008, 5:12 PM

Don’t worry, my husband is the same way.. but the strange thing is that he is only that way with some people. when he is around his friends he can do it all.. but around the house, well, its just one thing at a time.. wile i run around like a mad woman. at times it drives me nuts! but other times i just laugh at him.

Wendi October 13, 2008, 5:18 PM

When I ask my hubby to stop and get a few things at the store, he stops me right there and asks if it is going to be more than three items. If so, then he says wait I got to write this down or i’ll forget something. I’m glad he has figured out his limits and is willing to admit that he can’t multitask or rememeber ANYTHING, I just wish that I could rememeber that he can’t remember :)

chrissie October 14, 2008, 2:29 PM

So true…I joke with my husband all the time that he’s a big wig at work and handles a lot of people under him but the second his key hits the front door, he like “duh”. He tells me that it’s because I handle everything so well at home that he doesn’t have to. I guess that’s a compliment.

Ben's Momma October 14, 2008, 3:47 PM

That is so true and absolutely hilirious!

Jac October 15, 2008, 4:23 PM

LOL… I feel your pain. My long time boyfriend is the same way. God forbid I ask him to do something while he is occupied by the tv, computer or other trivial activity his brain seems to shut off and it takes him about 10 mins to ask me what I wanted him to do in the first place. Then he somehow messes that up too. It’s kind of funny that if and when he has to take our dog to the vet I have to write a detailed list of instructions plus post-it notes so he remembers what to do and make sure it gets done. It must be a guy thing.

Ten Tees January 8, 2011, 6:46 PM

Interesting information! Good to read. There’s a thing to submit about tee shirts.