Mom Blogger Reveals Newborn Son's Struggle

How The Meanest Mom's preschooler's common virus became her unborn child's greatest struggle.

Cameron

Original post: July 18, 2008
I have major reservations about publishing this post, but am going to go ahead with it on the chance that it may help someone out there who is in the same situation as me. My story is hardly a call for widespread alarm, but for those of you who are pregnant, it may be worth thinking about adding a test for Parvovirus 19 (Fifth Disease) to your routine blood work ... just in case.

Anyway, here it goes: On the last day of preschool, Cortlen came home with flushed cheeks and a lace-like rash on his torso and legs. I would have given him a teaspoon of Benadryl and went about my business if I hadn't read something a few days earlier about Fifth Disease. Fifth Disease is a common childhood virus that has, according to my kids' pediatrician, "run rampant" across the U.S. in the past few months. The virus is harmless to most people who catch it, but can cause problems for a very small percentage of pregnant women. (For more about Fifth Disease, click here) Although I didn't have any symptoms of the disease (no rash, no fever, etc), my OB ordered a blood test, just to be safe.

A few days later, I got a phone call from my doctor telling me that I had tested "positive" for the virus. An ultrasound performed the next day revealed that I had unwittingly passed the infection onto the baby.

Most of the time, the infection resolves on its own, but weekly ultrasounds have shown that the virus is making the baby anemic. The baby's anemia level has remained pretty steady for the past five weeks (high moderate) but this week, his readings jumped into the "severe" range. On Thursday (after two sets of high readings), my doctors met as a department to discuss the situation and vote on a course of treatment. Unfortunately, the vote resulted in a split decision: two physicians voted to do a fetal blood transfusion now and two voted to wait until/if the baby's condition worsens (i.e. hydrops develops). There are risks associated with both choices, particularly at 25 weeks gestation, and thus, the dilemma. Since this condition is so uncommon, there isn't much data to go off of: the research study that the department is using as a guidepost involves only 12 women. Ultimately, the decision "to transfuse or not to transfuse" was left up to me and my husband.

I told the doctors that while I am an expert on one infectious disease, I didn't feel qualified to make a judgment about the treatment of another one. Hearing that an infectious disease expert was unknowingly in their midst, the doctors' ears perked up. "What infectious disease are you an expert of?" one physician asked. "The Plague," I responded. The look on the doctors' faces made it clear that they deeply regretted inviting me to participate in the decision-making process. After a few minutes of hashing things out, my husband and I decided to sit tight until Monday. The few extra days would give us time to think--and pray--about the situation, and will allow for one additional (hopefully improved) ultrasound reading. Regardless of what the end result may be, my husband and I have had a sense of peace and calm since the diagnosis. On our way home from the hospital, my husband and I decided that, unfortunate as it is, my condition will certainly help further someone's career. "Who do you think is going to get the publication credit for this?" I asked my husband. Not waiting for a response, I said, "I want to choose." I already had in my mind a particularly deserving female resident. "I also want a picture of myself to appear alongside the article," I continued, "Preferably one taken at Glamour shots." "Why stop there?" asked Tim. "How about the magazine cover?" "Now you're talking."

Three months later, baby Cameron entered the world. But not without complications. Click here to keep reading.

next: Mom Takes Rabid Bat to School
Susan October 6, 2008, 7:31 PM

I hope that your son makes a full recovery. Things like this are more common than people realize. I used to teach preschool and I caught a virus when I was only four weeks along. We had no idea that it affected my unborn daughter. When my daughter was four weeks old she began having seizures and by the time she was six weeks old we had a diagnosis - lissencephaly. It is a rare disease causing severe mental retardation and limited physical abilities. It is frustrating to know that because someone chose to send their kid to school sick my daughter will suffer for the rest of her short life. She is, however, an incredible blessing. Sometimes I feel like I am hanging on by a thread but honestly, I wouldn’t have it any other way. She is one heck of a great kid.
I hope that your son continues to improve and that you you have many many years to love him, to drive him nuts and for him to do the same!!

M.L. October 6, 2008, 11:52 PM

Thoughthis didn’t happen to us, I can feel for youhaving a baby in the NICU! My son was 5 weeks early, and spent 2 weeks in the NICu. I agree, it is hell!!!!! You are in my prayers!!!!

Stacey October 7, 2008, 1:22 PM

What a beautiful baby boy. I hope he makes a speedy and full recovery.

Gloria October 7, 2008, 11:29 PM

God bless you and your family, I would think that you don’t have many bored moments. I like the picture of your daughter with the bra on, it almost appears like cartoon. I will gladly keep you and your beautiful son in my prayers. Keep well, and keep writing information is the best weapon against ills and other ailments that we at times may not be suspect to. God Bless

Kim November 7, 2008, 5:19 PM

i’m so glad to read your son will be okay. my sister is going through something similar as we speak: her 8-week-old daughter is severely anemic and they don’t yet know why. they found no evidence of an in-utero blood loss (which doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, but there you go). they have ruled out some viruses, including fifth. the girl has had to have 3 transfusions thus far. they are waiting for the absolute outside limit of when she should be making her own RBCs to do a bone marrow aspiration, but it’s definitely looming. the likelihood that she has a rare blood disease seems to increase with each passing day, and we are terrified. harder yet, they live in missoula, MT and the nearest ped heme is in spokane.

i would love to get in touch with you if you are amenable, just to share learnings. reach me at kim@kimgreen.com.

baron January 16, 2009, 10:22 AM

I`m involved there`s a lot of articles on casino gambling. There are different methods, tactics, strategies, algorithms of counting, calculations and so on.
But these items are only heap of ads and i don`t want to analyze them `cause i don`t have any basic knowledge. It`s useless. Estimation i think will be wrong.
Is there anyone here who is interested in such topic?
I`d appreciate someone`s explaining to me is there any systems or strategies, what are they (what approaches or concepts lay in basis) and in which casinos could they be applied to?
Thanx a lot.

ubumba February 1, 2009, 10:18 AM

But these objects are only heap of ads and i don`t want to analyze them `cause i don`t have any basic knowledge. It`s ineffective. Estimation i think will be wrong.
Is there anyone here who is attracted in such topic?
Thanx a lot.

ubumba February 2, 2009, 12:39 PM

tnx a lot, i`ve downloaded the program, installed it. Didn`t get into all features but there are some results already. My account is slowly filling with cash.
Great thanx J

XRumerTest March 17, 2009, 4:52 AM

Hello. And Bye.

MichaelJacksonMemorial July 8, 2009, 7:37 AM

This is the most catastrophic death I have ever witnessed, the huge fan base of millions for the King of Pop who were effected by his music,
No matter who you are, and what class or ethnic background
no matter how much you like or dislike him, one thing you can say is he has touched everyones lives. somehow in someway. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE has been touched by his music, one way or another.

The music he created had an impact on the world that we will never understand and has influinced so many artist, entertainers and ordinary people to grow, change and succeed.

The memory of Michael Jackson’s life will live on forever! I’m hoping in his memory there will be more peace and prosparity in the future.
Below is my own personal tribute sites to MJ, it will open shortly after his memorial and I hope to offer other a place to share memoirs.

Michael Jacksons Memorial
Michael Jackson Memorial

adronhixon July 12, 2009, 12:57 PM

driven intergovernmental joint pollution results melts

free trial February 13, 2010, 8:19 PM

After reading you blog, I thought your articles is great! I am very like your articles and I am very interested in the field of Free trial. Your blog is very useful for me .I bookmarked your blog! I trust you will behave better from now on; I hope she understands that she cannot exepct a raise.

andyw February 15, 2010, 4:08 AM

After reading you blog, Your blog is very useful for me .I bookmarked your blog!
Wishes your valentine day to be joyful!

nike dunk low April 24, 2010, 10:16 PM

I agree with your Blog and I will be back to check it more in the future so please keep up your work. I love your content & the way that you write. It looks like you’ve been doing this for a while now, how long have you been blogging for?

jordan shoes April 26, 2010, 8:03 AM

content.

general auto insurance April 27, 2010, 10:06 AM

great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you.

mbt shoes May 6, 2010, 7:35 AM

This is an interesting article. Thanks for sharing.

Registry Cleaner Reviews May 10, 2010, 2:49 PM

nice to be here…. thanks for share

Forex Marketiva May 12, 2010, 10:58 AM

I like that you

think. Thank you for share very

Christian Louboutin June 3, 2010, 11:59 PM

Good job. I’m definitely going to bookmark you!