Obama: Total Grandma's Boy

Before Barack Obama flew to Hawaii to be with his ailing grandmother, he sat down for an interview with Robin Roberts on "Good Morning America."

"My grandmother Toot is gravely ill and may not make it to Election Day," says Obama. "But I want to make sure I have time to sit down with her. She's still alert and I don't want to miss that opportunity."

Roberts asks him, if his grandmother doesn't live to see Election Day, what does that mean for Obama?

"My grandmother has been one of the cornerstones of my life -- she's remarkable," he says. "The nice thing is, ever since people found out I've left campaign trail, Toot has received emails, letters, and flowers from total strangers. She's getting deserved recognition at the end of her life."

•Roberts also asks if Obama has any regrets about "spreading the wealth" regarding his proposed tax plan.

•Obama answers, "McCain wants to continue Bush's tax plan which in 2007, he opposed. He doesn't want to give tax cuts to the people I would give them to -- that's a problem. We cannot give tax breaks to the rich instead of the middle class. It would be bad for families and the economy. It would actually prevent the economy from recovering."

•"McCain said you'll say anything to get elected," Roberts says. "What's your response to that?"

•"I'm not interested in doing 'tit for tat' with McCain," answers Obama. "If you compare the quality of our campaign and theirs, we've been consistent and civil and we haven't attacked his character. We get a good grade for that."

When asked what's the first thing he'll do when he gets to Hawaii, Obama says: "I'll give Toot a kiss and hug and then I'll ask what chores I can do around the house."

next: His Drinking is Turning Me Off
Joey Bee October 24, 2008, 3:13 PM

Is this his racist grandmother he talked about earlier in his campaign when the Rev. Wright videos were found?

Nomorehate October 24, 2008, 3:29 PM

Hey Joey,

Thanks for reminding me why I’m not a Republican. Barack Obama gave an empassioned and nuanced speech about race—did you listen to the whole thing and has never said he has anything less than love for his Grandma. Shame on you for injecting nastiness when his grandma is on her deathbed.

Lori M October 24, 2008, 5:05 PM

Nomorehate Everybody loves their grandma. That doesn’t necessarily make Barack Obama a good person. I beg to differ… I think he is the worst thing that has ever happened to the Democratic party and to America. If he ever became President there would only be one opinion allowed, HIS! You will either be his brainwashed puppets or God knows what he will do to the rest. There is no doubt in the minds of alot of Americans, he is a socialist and will destroy Democracy. Get ready for unemployment, welfare, and more lies if he gets in office. Why is it that he is associated with so many radicals and his chief advisor is from Iran? What is wrong with good, honest, Christian advisors from America? I guess all he could find were foreigners from enemy countries and the thiefs from Fannie Mae. Hmmm… makes you wonder! Poor Joe Biden better watch his back.

Janice October 24, 2008, 5:45 PM

Lori M. What is wrong with you??!!Obama is a Christian….just like you “say” you are. He also leads a Christian lifestyle…whereas you claim you are but speak like the devil.

You need to get a counseling appointment with your pastor.

Anonymous October 25, 2008, 3:22 AM

Only Republicans speak hateful words when they find themselves losing the battle.

gobojoe October 25, 2008, 11:34 AM

Pray for Barack’s grandma. She needs to see her beloved grandson win this historic president election.I am so excited. Even some of the Republicans are finally getting sense and endorsing Obama.

Henry J November 6, 2008, 10:18 AM

The day before this momentous election I placed a bouquet at Toot’s residence to honor her. She deserves much respect and admiration for raising such a beautiful son. He deserves only positive comments because he lifted up all people of color to give them hope that someday they will gain the respect they weren’t given for centuries. This is a new beginning for democracy, a land or symbol where we treat every decent human being with respect. Hawaii is a true example of racial tolerace to be a model for the rest of the world to follow. Come visit us!