Painful Breastfeeding 'Nip Slip' Ad

Breastfeeding might be good for your baby, but it can hurt like hell. Check out this painful ad.

An ad for nipple ointment demonstrates -- in excruciating detail -- just how painful breastfeeding can really be.  Dry, cracked, bleeding nipples anyone? The Garmastan lotion print ad features two pages glued together. Once you rip apart the pages the baby's mouth tears off mom's nipple. Ouuuuchh!

What do you think? Is the ad too graphic or is it right on?

nipslip-breastfeeding.jpg

See Also:

next: MUST SEE! Reporter Destroys Giant Sandcastle
Anonymous October 8, 2008, 6:03 PM

haha, i think this is too funny

and it’s right on! LOL

Tanya October 8, 2008, 6:53 PM

Ick. I think this goes a little too far and it’s also not very realistic. No breastfeeding mom’s nipples are that small!

Katie October 8, 2008, 7:11 PM

Hilarious! I probably wouldn’t have even clued in if I saw that in a magazine, at least at first

Tracy Zelitt October 8, 2008, 8:31 PM

I think anything that suggests women shouldn’t breastfeed is horrible. I’ve never had bleeding or cracked nipples…and I’m on my 42nd month of nursing…

Spookygirl October 8, 2008, 8:39 PM

Okay, it’s funny, I’ll give it that. But I hate to see any ad’s that portray breastfeeding in a negative light. Not that nursing doesn’t sometimes hurt, but we don’t want that to get stuck in a new mom’s head and make her afraid :(

Amanda October 8, 2008, 9:11 PM

I say its right on! Why sugar coat breast feeding? Dont get me wrong, I have been nursing for a year and love it, but in the beginning, I hated it and felt like that lady in the picture. Its good that new moms know there is a product that can help them make it through the tough times.

Kara October 8, 2008, 10:11 PM

Uh, Tracy… 42nd month of nursing?? Please tell me you had kids back to back! I’m sorry but there should be a cut off point with nursing. I was at the pediatricians a while back and this woman ( I just glanced at them at first) had a child of about four in her lap with their head cuddled close to her chest. I thought the child was sick and resting on her mother but no, after about five or six minutes the child gets up, the woman tucks her breast back in and says to the child “Do you want the other one?” The child nodded yes and lay down in the other direction and started nursing again. I just wonder what mothers like this are going to do when their kids go to college???? Fex ex it fresh I guess.
Sorry, don’t mean to be judgemental but there is seriously something wrong with breastfeeding a child that long.

praying4baby#2 October 8, 2008, 10:12 PM

IT’S FUNNY!!

ashley October 9, 2008, 7:56 AM

I think that ad is too weird. And it’s only painful when they first latch on and only for the first few weeks. Not when the baby is that big. I agree that it might scare people off breastfeeding. I also agree with Kara. I breastfed for 13 1/2 months with my daughter, my second child. I loved every minute of it but that was long eneough. I can’t imagine a toddler hanging off my boob.

michelle October 9, 2008, 2:15 PM

I think it discourages new moms to breastfeed. yes, it’s uncomfortable and hard the first few weeks. But after that, it is so much easier and simpler to just nurse your baby. I’ve had two children, one was bottle, the other was breastfed for almost 3 years. If someone has asked me if I would have nursed my baby past 6 months I would have said no way. Instead I found myself nursing a 2 1/2 yr old. Only at night by that time anyway.

Michelle October 9, 2008, 2:23 PM

And I never had a single problem. No cracks, bleeding or soreness after the first few weeks. Except for some overflow at the wrong moments, I had it very easy. Breastfeeding is not always an uncomfortable or painful time. I truly loved and enjoyed nursing my child and miss it still

Tracy October 9, 2008, 3:38 PM

Giving birth hurts too but that doesn’t keep women from having children. We should give new mom’s credit for doing what’s best for their baby even if theres a little pain involved. And along that line, why should we keep it a secret? I wish I had known how much breastfeeding hurt in the beginning. It wouldn’t have kept me from nursing but it would have been nice to know what I was in for. New moms have enough changes in their lives to process. Why should this be an unpleasant surprise? I say the more you know, the better prepared you are to be a good parent.

Michelle October 12, 2008, 12:18 AM

Hell ya it hurts!!! It’s different with each kid though too, with my second I was only sore for a week, with my third I was pumping for 3 months before he could finally get on. I took him to the hospital at 3 weeks because he threw up so much blood that I though he had internal bleeding…..I was thankful he was okay but horrified to fnd out a nipple can bleed THAT much!! I’d say the ad is pretty accurate!!

nikki October 14, 2008, 10:54 AM

I love it! Your nipples really do feel like theya re just going to fall off. Taking a shower is painful as hell let alone having your hungry baby latch on! But you just push thru all that and grin and bear it. I think the ad does a good job showing women what they have to look forward to and maybe they’ll be prepared witht he cream :)

steph December 16, 2009, 1:09 PM

the add is funny, but would be better if it was advertising breastfeeding classes, or a lactation consultant. If breastfeeding hurts, something is wrong. When nipples get as sore as the mom in the ad., she needs latching help, not ointment (unless it’s thrush, but that’s a different post :P )

Beth in SF December 16, 2009, 2:12 PM

Graphic? WTF is graphic about breastfeeding? It’s a fact of life. People are too Puritan and stuffy these days.

Jewel December 16, 2009, 2:28 PM

I agree with Beth & Tracy. Why keep it a secret? The more you know, the more you can be prepared. For some women it is very difficult & painful, and women should have a right to know about the possibility. If they choose not to breastfeed, it’s not because of that new knowledge. They were going to make that choice because of their LACK of knowledge.

Lisa R. December 16, 2009, 2:41 PM

Kara, I was thinking that exact thing, I hope Tracy is talking about breast feeding more than one child because that is WAY too long to nurse one kid. 42 months is 3-1/2 years! When your kid can push your shirt up, pull your boob out, and start sucking on his/her own, it starts to get a little hinky. At that time, I think it’s the mom getting more out of it than the child. Buy that kid a sippy cup!

Nicole December 16, 2009, 2:58 PM

I’m on month 11 of breastfeeding. I felt like this for the first month, and again for the last 4 months. I think the ad is funny, but there’s no direct correlation between the pain of having your nipple ‘ripped off’ and nipple ointment. If you haven’t breastfed before and don’t have much exposure, you have no concept of what nipple cream needs to be used for (cracked nipples). So in that light it is discouraging new moms from breastfeeding, which is unfortunate.

professional January 20, 2011, 12:27 PM

SHOCKING!!!! DISCUSTING..is a formula company behind this?!?!?!..an ad for nipple cream??…YA RIGHT! Pain is natures way of saying..FIX IT! Sure, you can have problems… there is going to be MANY MORE if baby is exposed to Artificial Milk!!!! Allergies, asthma, obesity, ON and ON AND ON!….seek help. there are plenty of ppl that are willing to help!