Palin's Wardrobe - $150K!!!

Imagine having $150,000 to spend on new clothes -- Sarah Palin did.

sarah palin in her expensive clothes

The VP candidate's team reportedly spent $75,062 on clothing at a Minneopolis Neiman Marcus and later $41,950 at another Neiman Marcus in St. Louis. Additionally, they spent $4,100 on makeup and hair consultations, according to Politico.

But who paid for all of this? The Republican Party coordinated expenses with the McCain camp and the RNC paid for the makeover, not the McCain committee. Why? Federal campaign finance law says they cannot use campaign funds for personal use, including clothes -- but they can use party money. Let's just back up though -- $150,000 on clothes since August 28, when her nomination was announced. That's $75,000 a month on clothes, which is more than most of us make all year. Just sayin'...

next: Cow Burps Are to Blame for Global Warming
jackie October 22, 2008, 1:40 PM

yeah..she’s JUST LIKE US..RIGHT!!!

EEW> I am sooooo tired of seeing her face!

jackie October 22, 2008, 2:51 PM

omg.

zerohelp October 22, 2008, 3:02 PM

amanda October 22, 2008, 3:24 PM

This is funny because what about the other candidates? Gucci, Ralph Lauren, Versace suits arent cheap either. Plus as a women you cant get away with wearing a few suits every week.

amanda October 22, 2008, 3:24 PM

Donna October 22, 2008, 3:26 PM

I can see why this would be so much more newsworthy than, say, Obama’s ties to known terrorists.

RealMomsHaveCurves  October 22, 2008, 3:31 PM

Wow, Donna. I can see who you’re voting for. And Amanda, I agree with you. I am NOT a Palin fan, but picking on the woman’s outfits is all the media has to come with on her right now (you know they’re getting tired — it seems like this election has been going on forever :). How she used party funds to fund her kid’s travel ticks me off, however.

proud mom of 2 October 22, 2008, 3:40 PM

Donna, at least we know what see spent on her cloths is NOT a lie! the only way they can win this election is bad mouthing Obama, and I see some fools are listening!!

proud mom of 2 October 22, 2008, 3:42 PM

Besides, everything she wears looks the same, she need to get some variety. I had to laugh, she had a talk with 3 year old pre-schoolers today, but she has not once spoken to the press! haha shows you just what level she it at!

Haley October 22, 2008, 4:46 PM

And she has time for SNL but not Meet the Press? The woman is just a tool, that has a very nice wardrobe now. I betcha if they look a little deeper, her whole familys wardrobe got a upgrade.

lisa October 22, 2008, 6:24 PM

they have to dress her nice b/c she seriously sounds uneducated. Hey, let’s put her in a versace suit so she doesn’t sound so bad.
she’s dumb, and i can’t stand listening to her voice.

the makeover didn’t do anything for her.

mary October 22, 2008, 7:18 PM

You know, I spend most of my days in jeans, and I wear dockers and knit shirts to work…BUT when I want to look nice, I do spend more money. And if I were running for VP, you can bet I’d be buying the best because appearance does matter. Same thing with my hair…sure most days a flip of the brush will do fine. But I would have a stylist if I was in a high powered position. Consider this information about the other candidates…

“If Palin’s $2,500 Valentino jacket seems expensive, consider that Barack Obama wears Hart Schaffner Marx suits that retail for about $1,500. John McCain consistently wears $520 Salvatore Ferragamo loafers, while Vanity Fair editors estimated that one outfit worn by Cindy McCain cost $313,100, including diamond earrings and pearl necklace.”

It’s a fact that a woman’s designer suit is going to cost more than a man’s designer suit. But obviously Obama is not buying-off-the-rack at JC Penney’s either!!!!!

Lori M October 22, 2008, 7:28 PM

Let me clarify this misleading story: Sarah Palin DID NOT spend $150 K on her wardrobe. The clothes were purchased for her, not by her, AND the clothes will be donated to charity after the election. Get your facts straight! This is another lame attempt to make Sarah Palin look bad…and I stress the word LAME! It is sad that people actually are naive enough to buy into this garbage. Who bought Joe Biden’s clothes…yeah, who cares, right? What a double standard!

mary October 22, 2008, 7:37 PM

Thank you Lori M for posting that… I feel the same way. It is garbage, and it is a double standard… let’s start finding out what Hilary Clinton’s wardrobe cost, and Geraldine Ferraro’s cost, and so forth.

If you look at the copy-cat outfits that Tina Fey wore on her SNL spoofs, and how they actually were less flattering than the garments that Sarah Palin has been wearing, it does speak to, you get what you pay for. If we want our VP to look like she stepped out of a meeting at her local Target or Walmart, then fine, put her in clothing of the same caliber that Tina Fey wore. But if we want a woman VP to look more polished, then yes, it’s going to cost some $$’s. Obama’s wardrobe is equally spendy, if you are considering how much he spends per suit (because menswear is less expensive than womens-wear, AND no accessories, AND no hair to style).

realitychecks October 22, 2008, 7:48 PM

i knew it,all the others bought their own clothes check it out,i havent spent that much on my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!whos girlfriend is she?????????

realitychecks October 22, 2008, 7:52 PM

she didnt pay for….tax dollars…..welfare..the only acceptable kind and yes the kids were shopping too!!!!!!!

UMok October 22, 2008, 7:59 PM

is anybody else disturbed by Sarah’s comment??????????????

realitychecks October 22, 2008, 8:00 PM

not my v.p. i want one at least half a brain!who cares how she looks!!! shes a maverick that knows how to spend taxpayers money……..

Anonymous October 22, 2008, 8:04 PM

big deal. are we supposed to think that obama’s wife and biden’s wife have no perks? are you people that stupid? why don’t you report , or better yet ASK michelle obama why SHE needed to eat an $1100 lobster lunch at the waldorf this past weekend?oops, might offend her!

realitychecks October 22, 2008, 8:07 PM

we know what the others wear we know how much they earn shes known for cutting govt waste,guess she figures it isnt wasted on her,taxpayers money is her favorite.