The New Way Parents Avoid Vaccination

Some parents avoid vaccinating their kids by taking drastic measures.

Woman Receiving Injection

Currently, two million children in the United States are home-schooled, according to the National Home Education Research Institute.

Parents choose to home-school their children for economic reasons or to provide what they feel is a better education -- but a growing number of moms and dads are choosing to teach their kids at home to avoid forced immunizations.

While some states allow kids to obtain medical or religious exemptions from the immunizations, most states don't require home-schooled children to be vaccinated at all.

But with recent outbreaks of measles being tied to unvaccinated, home-schooled children, health officials want to change the rules.

In fact, according to the Centers for Disease Control, exemptions from immunizations should be harder to get and home-schooled children should be required to get them as well.

•"Somebody who has taken an exemption from school laws, like a philosophical or religious exemption, is 35 times more likely to get measles ... and 22 times more likely to get whooping cough," says Dr. Lance Rodewald, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Immunization Services Division.

•Arthur Caplan, chair of the Department of Medical Ethics at the University of Pennsylvania, says parents who feel they aren't putting anyone else at risk by not immunizing their kids are wrong -- and that not doing so can result in a resurgence of some scary childhood diseases. "Unvaccinated children pose not only a risk to themselves but also to their families, other children they come in contact with, and especially older people they might visit or encounter in a movie theater or mall," he said.

Tell us -- would you vaccinate your children? Would you be upset if other moms didn't?

Lynn October 27, 2008, 10:06 AM

Neither my husband nor anyone in his family has ever been vaccinated… and there isn’t a single person in his family who has ever had anything worse than a cold.

Myself and my family, on the other hand, were all vaccinated against every possible thing you could imagine… and somehow we all ended up with measles, mumps, and rubella. Somehow we all got the flu every single year. Somehow everyone in my family is chronically ill.

And amazingly, when the people in my family reach 50 they are all old and deteriorated. In my husbands family they are all vibrant into their late 90’s.

My children will not be vaccinated. The CDC has a nice way of twisting facts to make it look like the unvaccinated people are the problem. I think we would all be healthier if we avoided injecting diseases into ourselves.

Read books like How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor and become aware that there are other options (even homeopathic vaccines, if you must).

Lisa October 27, 2008, 11:43 AM

They don’t seem to mention the statistics regarding the number of people that are getting the diseases that ARE vaccinated. Why is it that in large groups of unvaccinated populations, such as the Amish, are there no cases of autism? Do your own homework as suggested, on both sides. You may be amazed at what you find out.

Mary October 27, 2008, 1:50 PM

My children, who are now teens, have never been vaccinated and never will. They are extremely healthy and have rarely been sick. When my daughter was in pre-school, a doctor’s wife held a chickenpox party so kids could get together and contract chickenpox, which is the best and healthiest way to get a necessary virus which needs to come to the surface of the skin in order to clear out of the system. Of 7 doctors I talked with prior to my children being born, none vaccinated their own children nor recommended them to their patients. Two are treating vaccine-damaged children. Over 1 million people in the U.S. are damaged (including deaths)by vaccines each year. $91 million was compensated to vaccine victims in 2007. Close to $2 billion since ‘86 when the Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System was instituted. Having done research in this field for 19 years has led me to conclude that injecting formaldehyde, aluminum, mercury in the form of thimerosol (49.6%)which cannot be filtered out, (‘mercury or preservative-free’ shots are a misnomer), ethylene glycol (anti-freeze), phenols, carbolic acid, squalene, neomycin, streptomycin, dead animal pus, foreign viruses,etc. have no place in a person’s body. No wonder our children are damaged and dealing w/ADHD, autism, diabetes, asthma, allergies, etc. 48 doses of 14 vaccines by age 6 is excessive and is only for the benefit of the drug companies who promote fear to fund their bottom line.

Pat October 27, 2008, 8:57 PM

The obvious bias in this published article is geared towards the medical and pharmaceutical establishment who are the only ones profiting at our children’s expense. Those of us who grew up prior to the 80’s had mumps, measles, and chickenpox, all necessary viruses which confer immunity, unlike vaccinations which compromise and weaken one’s immune system. The premise that those of us who do not vaccinate are ethically challenged is false. Parents have firsthand knowledge and experience of raising damaged children who were once bright and healthy and now work overtime to provide 24/7 care. As a teacher and parent, I have been witness to an overwhelming number of children who are truly suffering from vaccinosis (vaccine damage). These children need special care and to mainstream them into classrooms because of limited funding to hire special ed teachers is becoming more the ‘norm.’ The other children are falling through the cracks in the classroom and at home for lack of attention from teachers and parents because of the time it takes to work w/developmentally disabled children. 1 in 84 boys now is autistic as they are 4x more likely to have developmental delays and disabilities. The rate of 1 in 150 nationwide is becoming more like 1 in 100 kids in my view.

M.L. October 27, 2008, 11:27 PM

My kids are not vaccinated, and will never be!!!! My daughter has been exposed to chicken pox at school, and was the only one in her class not to get it. She is now homeschooled, but not for this reason, my husband and I don’t like the public school system. I get pressured from other doctors all the time to do it, but my doctor agrees with me. I even had one tell me that my daughter would quit getting ear infections. I told him that I am 35 and still get them, and I had all my vaccinations, so I don’t believe that , he didn’t know what to say.

Dana October 28, 2008, 1:00 AM

This doesn’t make sense:

While some states allow kids to obtain medical or religious exemptions from the immunizations, most states don’t require home-schooled children to be vaccinated at all.

If people are resorting to “drastic measures” to avoid vaccinations…why not just file the exemption? All but two states allow them.

TammyT October 28, 2008, 12:15 PM

I’m just wondering how does anyone know that “a growing number of moms and dads are choosing to teach their kids at home to avoid forced immunizations?” It makes it sound like there are SO MANY parents who decide to homeschool because of this one reason. Like who?

Also, in most states, public school kids can opt out of immunizations too. So why would a parent need to homeschool to avoid it? Like Dana said, all but two states have an exemption. This is a silly blog post that was printed simply to incite controversy and page views.

Don’t believe the hype!

mary October 28, 2008, 8:32 PM

If vaccines really required “herd immunity” to work, then ask yourselves, why bother getting vaccinated before you go to a third world country then?? I mean, the place you are traveling to, most of the people there are not vaccinated against the disease that you are getting your shot for? So why bother?

I’m just bringing that up as a way to get people to THINK. If the vaccines are effective, then your child will be protected regardless if the home school neighbor kid ISN’T. If you doubt vaccine protection that much, then maybe you should be asking more questions before you jab your child with substances that you haven’t even taken the time to read the label on…

People should surely realize that this whole campaign about non-vaxers is more of an attempt to legislate and make more money for the vaccine manufacturers, than it is about concern for your child’s health…

Earth Mommy March 22, 2009, 7:54 PM

It is so refreshing to hear so many comments from educated parents that realize the truth about vaccinations. I wish I had realized sooner with my child, it took years of asthma and ear infections to realize that detoxing our home and our bodies of all chemicals would solve the problem. I now do not allow him to receive anymore vaccinations but that was after the large portion of them were already in his system. Way to go Moms!

No Agenda January 18, 2011, 2:48 AM

The plural of anecdote is anecdotes. It is not and never will be evidence. Take a walk through an old graveyard to see how many babies used to die from vaccine preventable diseases.