twitter facebook stumble upon rss

Recession Proof Your Closet

sign up for the momlogic newsletter Tweet This

Save your bucks and still look fab. Here's an economic survival guide for moms.

woman carrying paper bags

In today's economy, the last thing we're going to spend money on is clothes for ourselves. The good news is that you don't need to compromise the way you look just because money's tight -- here's how to spend a lot less, and still look fab.

1. Vintage shop: Now's the time to vintage shop since more people are bringing their designer clothes to second hand stores to sell. A tip: rather than buying basics, look for interesting items like a cool vintage dress or cute accessory. Try www.ShopGoodwill.com

2. A Signature Piece: Whether it's an oversized necklace or a great pair of shoes, create one signature piece for yourself that you can wear with many outfits. A personal favorite? A scarf: it brightens up any outfit.

3. Measure CPW (cost per wear): Get the most bang for your buck -- how much does an item really cost? Divide its price by the number of times you'll wear it. The more you'll wear an item, the cheaper it becomes. Buying a $100 necklace you'll only wear once will make you think twice.

4. 70/30 Rule: 70% of what's in your closet should be classic pieces like a white shirt or black dress that you can wear time and time again. The other 30% could be trendy items (or your new finds from a vintage shop).

5. Don't dry-clean: You don't need to dry-clean your coats, suits or sweaters. Spritz with fabric freshener for a quick touch-up.

6.Online Coupons: Type the name of a store or brand with the word "coupon" or "discount into your search engine. 

7.Rework old clothes: Bleach, tie-dye, patch, fray, and embellish old clothes to instantly update the look. Replace old buttons with something bold and sassy. 

8.Make your own lip gloss: Take that last little bit of lipstick left, scoop it onto a contact lens case, add vaseline and voila.


next: I Got a Virus This Week -- For One Day It Was Great!
1 comments so far | Post a comment now
home loan January 30, 2009, 9:41 AM

Lovely. Great site.


Leave a reply:



(not displayed)

     




Avoid clicking "Post" more than once
Back to top >>
advertisement