Has Palin Embraced Trig?

Guest blogger Dani Klein Modisett: "Don't babies need their mother's focus at least some of the time to thrive?"

Feels like everyone is talking about Sarah Palin these days. That is when they're not talking about Tina Fey acting like Sarah Palin. Maybe it's her insistence that she is "just like" us that has so many of us Moms talking about her.

I live in Los Angeles, have never even held a gun (let alone shot one), and although I can see Warner Bros. Studios from my window, I wouldn't call myself a Hollywood Playah'.

I do, however, have a son who goes to soccer practice, which qualifies me as a ubiquitous "soccer mom." Another life experience I share with Palin is having a baby in my 40s. Mine will be 15 months next week, while her Trig is six months tomorrow. Every time I see that baby pulled out for a photo op all I can think about is how much he is being passed around like a stuffed doll to garner what? I'm not exactly sure.

If she's just like me, how come I cannot begin to comprehend a day in the life of this infant? Call me a whacky liberal, but don't babies need their mother's focus at least some of the time to thrive?

When asked why she told no one but her husband Todd about the baby's pre-birth diagnosis of Down's Syndrome, Palin is quoted:

"Not knowing in my own heart if I was going to be ready to embrace a child with special needs," she reveals, "I couldn't talk about it."

Seems like her pick for GOP VP came just in time to save her from her complicated feelings about giving birth to this child, since she doesn't seem to be doing much embracing of him after all.

By going after becoming the Vice President of the United States like a rabid dog chasing a steak, she has clearly chosen to put off dealing with the reality of bringing this new precious and delicate life into the world.

Sarah Palin, please stop saying you are just like us Moms. At least not this mom.

Dani Klein ModisettDani Klein Modisett is the mother of 1-year-old Gideon (pictured) and 5-year-old Gabriel. She is comedy writer/creator/producer of the show "Afterbirth...stories you won't read in Parents magazine." An anthology of stories from this show will be published by St. Martin's Press, in stores in May 2009.

next: Cookie Lovers Choose the Next President of the United States
Charles October 15, 2008, 1:11 PM

Yep, typical whacky liberal. Let’s focus on non-issues, because comparing real issues would be a non-starter. And we all know that you see Sarah Palin’s whole life on TV, and since she doesn’t constantly hold her son, she must not do it when the cameras are off, right?

You’d think women would want a real woman for Vice-President, but as is typical for Democrats, it only matters if its a Democrat. Toe the party line people! Adultery is bad, unless its a Democrat doing it. Sarah needs to focus on her kids, even though she has a spouse to help, but Biden is allowed to do whatever he wants, kids be damned.

Anonymous October 15, 2008, 1:22 PM

I 100% agree. Liberal or not… women need to mother their children. A job is one thing but traveling all the time and never being able to rock, feed or put your kid to bed is another. Typical career hungry mom who isn’t thinking of anyone but her own motives.

hrh October 15, 2008, 1:28 PM

Another case of damned if she does and damned if she doesn’t: If she’s seen carrying Trig around, it’s only for political gain. But if she’s not seen carrying him, she’s a bad, bad mother. So which is it? I’ve heard both complaints laid at her by the media. The same media who are doing their darndest to tell Americans not to vote for her. And finding all kinds of angles to make that case. Including how much she’s seen carrying or not carrying her baby!! For the record, check out the CNN photographer’s reports of being on the trail with Gov. Palin, and you’ll hear that Trig spends lots of time with his mother …

BJD October 15, 2008, 1:43 PM

Well, unless you ARE the Mom of a developmentally challenged child, I don’t think you really know what you’re talking about here. I have also felt the same way as the writer does, as I know ONLY TOO WELL how I felt just after my son was born — who is now 17 and also has Down syndrome. You must go through a ‘grieving’ process, not to mention therapies galore from Day 1, if not surgeries. And while I wouldn’t begrudge her from bringing him on stage, I have also felt that he is being passed around like some sort of prop when he is.

shanna October 15, 2008, 1:53 PM

Dani is right. I can’t imagine any mother of a special needs child running for the White House. She is using this baby as a photo opp and a political platform to try to “relate” to the special needs population. It’s a ploy and I see right through it.

ashley October 15, 2008, 2:49 PM

I am a Republican and will vote for her but as a mother, I just feel like she should be at home with her young kids. Not trying to run this country. Especially the state of turmoil it is in right now.

jean October 15, 2008, 2:53 PM

Ashley, if you feel that way, why vote for her? Isn’t that hypocritical?

foxymama October 15, 2008, 2:58 PM

What century are we living in - of course a mther can be a good mother and work outside the home. Sure, as working mothers one can suffer because of the other. But life is about doing what we need to do for ourselves first. Putting us as indivudals ahead of everyone. That means not putting our ambitions or directives aside because of our children. Yes, their needs must be met. We need to take whatever time neccessary to help foster good morals and goals for our children. But Gov. Palin can be a terrific mother and VP. I personally hope she doesn’t get elected, but her being a mother should not lessen her shot at being the VP.

RYIA October 15, 2008, 3:20 PM

I am as liberal as they come, and I see no way that a mother of 5 should have a job as demanding as VP. It’s selfish and sickening.

Anonymous October 15, 2008, 3:22 PM

Don’t have kids if you always have to put yourself first. Her being a mother absolutely matters to a VP job. I won’t vote for someone so selfish.

Darcy October 15, 2008, 3:29 PM

I totally agree with the last person. Sarah Palin is an opportunistic, self centered woman who wants fame and glory and is risking everything to achieve that. What troubles me is that it seems like so many women in middle america are blind to that!

Charles October 15, 2008, 3:33 PM

What a bunch of sexist pigs. Just because she’s a mother doesn’t mean she can’t have a career. Has women’s rights come to this? Only fathers can have aspirations, mothers have to stay home, barefoot pregnant, in the kitchen? What century do you all come from. Please go back there, a mother should have just as much opportunity to reach her dreams as any father.

I don’t see any of you decrying single father Biden for abandoning his kids for the VP position, hypocrites.

jane October 15, 2008, 3:39 PM

I feel heartbroken for that poor baby. There is no way he’s getting the attention he needs from his mama to thrive.

Erin October 15, 2008, 3:47 PM

So are our military men and women who deploy for months and even years at a time bad people? Stop and think about this before you question someone else’s life. And try walking a mile in their shoes before you choose to type out this rhetoric. Sounds like someone is not happy with their own choices and thus chooses to criticize others. Sour grapes, my dear.

linda October 15, 2008, 3:53 PM

Charles, I’m all for women’s rights. Maybe if Palin were qualified in any way for the office of VP, I’d think about supporting her as a mom of 5 running in this election. But the truth is, she’s aint anywhere near qulified, so give it up!

John October 15, 2008, 4:00 PM

She’s not fooling anyone trotting that kid out on stage. She knows she became the poster child for special needs parents with this election and that’s who she’s targeting for votes.

Renee October 15, 2008, 4:18 PM

If a woman has aspirations for a heavy duty career, then don’t have 5 kids. Or, put off your heavy duty career until the kids are not minors.

She should have said no to this job offer and take care of the responsibilities she brought into the world. Wasn’t governor enough?? Sounds like she was lousy at that too.

jean October 15, 2008, 4:23 PM

Charles, wth are you doing on a mom site, anyway?

Carrie October 15, 2008, 4:25 PM

I’m all for mothers having careers. I’m all for women running our country. But if Sarah Palin is such a great politican and governor, why doesn’t she wait until her child is a bit older to take on a job like VP. There is another election in 4 years. Her son will be on his way to school. So will her grandson. She will have more time to focus on a demanding career. She is still very young.

allena October 15, 2008, 4:29 PM

Guess what- I’m a wacky liberal, too, but at least I can fashion a cohesive blog post, so we’re not THAT alike.

So, what’s the deal: you DO want her to smooosh on the baby or you DON’T? See, those are generally mutually exclusive, so ya kinda can’t have it both ways.

Your haphazard attempt to garner the spotlight through feigned controversy only exposes your lack of an ability to put together a truly meaningful blog post.