Could Your Kid Grow Up to Be Casey Anthony?

No one raises a child to be a murderer, so how does it happen?

casey-anthony-sociopath.jpg
We all hope the best for our children. We nurture them and teach them to the best of our ability. Unfortunately, sometimes, things can go terribly wrong. Surely Cindy Anthony never dreamed her daughter Casey Anthony would one day be indicted for first degree murder. And although Cindy continues to defend her daughter's innocence, telling "Today's" Meredith Vieira, "I know Caylee is alive," that blind optimism might be at the very root of Casey Anthony's problems. Her parents consistently bailed her out of trouble.

"Never letting your child face the consequences of their actions is setting a terrible example," says licensed marriage and family counselor Shannon Fox, "Casey's parents are not completely to blame for her missteps, but they most certainly contributed."

And Casey, apparently, learned by example.

"Casey displays classic sociopath tendencies; a lack of empathy, disregard of authority, lying and manipulating," says Fox. As any parent of a toddler knows, belief that the world revolves around them is standard behavior for this problem. "Eventually though," says Fox, "children grow out of that stage and learn empathy. Casey never learned."

In many ways 22-year-old Casey Anthony continues to behave like a rebellious teenager. "She's got that smug adolescent attitude of someone who's been called on her crap," observes Fox. Evidence of Casey's belief she is "untouchable" is clear in photos of Casey in high spirits, taken at a bar mere days after Caylee's alleged abduction or when she was recently caught on tape passing bad checks.

Could the Anthonys have foreseen the tragic fate of their daughter? Probably not. But there were most likely signs of trouble early on that could've been averted.

"In order to help Casey develop her empathetic skills," suggests Fox, "she might have benefited from volunteering at a soup kitchen, teaching children how to read -- anything that would make her aware of the needs and feelings of others."

Of course, not every child that disobeys or lies is destined to become a murderer -- only 1% of population are truly diagnosed as anti-social sociopaths, regardless, steps should be taken so children are aware of their actions and their impact on others.

If Casey had learned these valuable lessons, Caylee Anthony might be safe and sound at home.

What do you think of the Casey Anthony controversy? Share your thoughts in the momlogic community.

Lis February 18, 2009, 9:33 PM

Lavanda, when they talk about the ‘lack of empathy’ in these cases, they are not talking about the same thing you are describing with autism/asperger’s, etc. They are talking about an inability to empathize coupled with zero compassion and a complete lack of remorse. Google ‘attachment disorder.’ It’s a completely different thing… you almost can’t believe what it is like unless you have lived with it and seen it firsthand…

Cat who Cares February 26, 2009, 11:25 PM

I am amazed, shocked and disgusted at the number of contributors here who think they straightened out their kids by hitting them. Kids don’t need to be hit, they need to be taught discipline. They don’t need every new toy in the store, they need love. Kids don’t need their parents to be their friends, they need their parents to be their guide and teacher.

Most parents do the best they can, some even do a better job than their parents did with them. The bottom line is much of what our child ends up being, he was born with. There’s no other way to explain children who come from horrible situations but turn out to be good, loving, hard working people and children who come from good, solid, loving families who grow up to be serial killers and rapists. Or children who were loved, cared for and taught what is right, but grow into thoughtless, selfish, sociopaths.

I have seen children who were loved and nurtured, grow up to be wonderful humans and their sibling turn out to be an evil, mean spirited substance abuser who’s main purpose in life is to make others as miserable as them self. And I’ve seen children raised by abusive people who should never have been allowed to procreate, grow up to be good, loving parents who would never harm a hair on their sweet child’s head.

What we can do as parents is to love and nurture, guide and discipline. And hope for the best. Do not allow your difficult child to walk all over you and do not allow parental guilt to get in the way of making your child take responsibility for their mistakes. Tough love is the kindest thing you can do for your child and yourself. Then keep your fingers crossed.

A Williams March 5, 2009, 9:29 PM

Cindy Anthony lived/lives in a fantasy world and taught her daugher by example to do the same. At Cindy’s brother’s wedding she denied Casey was OBVIOUSLY pregnant: only if I say it does it make it true. Cindy lies to herself, her kids, her relatives, and the whole country. Casey is doing nothing different than what she has learned. And I don’t buy Cindy’s level and calm demeanor, either - sustained for too long. No breakdown? I have more sympathy and respect for George and his suicidal gesture - he is torn between the constant upkeep of family lies and the truth. Cindy and George and Lee previously participated in Casey’s delisions about her “job” etc…like they WANTED to believe it. I see parents do this wishful thinking-thing all the time - let’s not LOOK for the truth, because we won’t like it. That’s how you produce a Casey Anthony.

Anonymous March 21, 2009, 5:43 PM

I read a post on another forum where the writer claimed Casey was ‘born this way’. This is like saying that an innocent child is born a killer. I don’t believe that for a second and research doesn’t point to any such theory. Casey was an indulged brat who got her own way all the time, growing up. She was in control of the household and her parents. Her poor little girl was a dolly and a plaything when she wanted her to be, and a nuisance at other times. Casey was at odds with her mother who finally woke up and realized what her spoiled daughter had become. Then, I truly believe that in anger towards her mother who she probably thought loved Caylee more than her, killed her little girl out of spite and jealousy.

I believe that all children are born with a clean slate, not as sociopaths. However, they do have hardwired personalities and where their energies are channelled will decide who they become as adults. This is why it is so important to raise children to be independent, positive thinkers, with respect for authority and humanity and compassion for others. Parents need to be vigilant for self-indulgent behavior and not give a child everything he or she wants, on demand. Casey never grew beyond the self-indulgent, selfish, narcissist thinking of a 2 year old, because her parents didn’t require it. Once a child gets to be over the age of 5, modifying that programming is very difficult. I work with parents and their children all the time and whenever they seem to have difficulty seeing certain behaviors as ‘problematic’, I ask them to imagine their 3 year old, screaming names at them when they are 13. I ask them what names they think their child will call them at that time, and how the household will be with a 13 year old tossing tantrums and chucking furniture around. Some parents don’t realize that what they see in a child as a preschooler is a mini-me of what their child will be as a much larger teenager. When they get the larger picture, I see the light go on in their eyes and they ‘get it’. Casey Anothony’s parents didn’t get it until it was much, much, too late.

Most likely Casey was willful, determined and outspoken as a little child. This could have been channelled into something good and she could have become a very successful and strong woman. Instead she became a brat in an adult body. Her childish, jealous rages became cold, calculated murder.
Her parents aren’t to blame, don’t get me wrong. I’m sure they’d have done things differently if they’d known what she was becoming. My point is that she didn’t start evil. I don’t feel sorry for her but I am sorry that there was no intervention done earlier to rescue little Caylee, when it was clear that Casey was more interested in partying than taking proper care of this defenseless little girl.

Stocirpa April 25, 2009, 9:12 AM

Had Casey been born into a normal family
environment, she most probably would not have become a Sociopath. Had she received appropriate parental guidance and assistance reinforced by her parents’ example and disciplined for the errors of her ways, she most probably would not have become a Sociopath. I keep pondering whether Caylee herself had already started down the road to being the next Sociopath in the family. If you look at the video showing Caylee at the Mt. Dora Convalescent Center, you can observe that as she is “reading” her Mrs. Fuzzypaw’s book she plays the role of being Mrs. Fuzzypaw you will see and hear her say - “mama” and “papa” followed by some gibberish where she accentuates what she is saying by pointing her finger at the recipient. Where do you suppose she learned that?

goddessence April 30, 2009, 12:35 AM

I believe she KNOWS MORE than she is telling and she LIES…LOTS!!!!!

she appears to be a self absorbed narcissist and very adolescent in her behavior

I think she might very well killed Caylee in a moment of anger…striking out…even a sharp shove can cause the death of a toddler…

or maybe to keep Caylee quiet she bound her mouth and accidentally cut off oxygen

I believe she knows what happened to Caylee but is so arrogant and self absorbed that she will never tell

the parents have made her like this by treating her like their little princess

Casey Anthony is a dishonest person…I dont trust her and dont believe anything she says

aMom May 27, 2009, 6:40 AM

Allow me to add some clarification on sociopaths.

My adult daughter is a classic sociopath and has been diagnosed with oppositional defiance disorder. They will pretend to be “better” to gain trust over and over again.
It is all a lie.

There is no treatment nor is there a cure. Perhaps only GOD can cure them.

If you read the studies by Dr. Hare from Canada, he can shed light on this subject. He has made it his life’s career studying their patterns, brainwaves, etc.

It doesn’t matter how the child was brought up in the long run. Their brains are wired differently than the normal person. There is only one procedure, at this time, that can “cure” this mental illness. However, it would possibly kill the patient. They would have seizures that would probably kill them if the treatment were used.

They are dead inside. They use drugs and abuse alcohol to “feel” something. They only know how to survive by using people. Pathological lying is part and parcel of this illness as well. They become leeches by using others to get through life. My daughter was tested years ago and didn’t range on the normal curve at all. The outcome was she was either dead inside or the first to fool the test.

Imagine, having a child who is totally incapable of love. It is very painful. It took me years to realize that nothing I could do…those few precious moments I felt love from her were all an act.

When you uncover the mask and expose them, they hate you. The play games by turning family, friends, and others against you. YOU become the bad guy.

I have another child who is also an adult. He is truthful and feels. The contrast between the two is so apparent. She has not affected him by lying to him and ignoring him. She finally made him a victim after all these years.

Do I love my daughter? Yes. However I cannot sustain a relationship with her due to her pathological lying. It just never ends. Just asking a basic question sets up the scenario over and over again.

Is she capable of murder? I don’t know and do not want to wait and see. That is the unpredictable part of this illness. Most sociopaths are not murderers. However, they do murder relationships.

They have no control over their illness, because they believe they are fine. They feel normal and we are the crazy ones.

They live for drama. They live for control. They only feel in control when they have the power over others. Everyone is their victim to use and manipulate.

It is a sad reality for any parent to face. It has taken me years to feel the truth in my heart. My mind knew, but my heart just had to keep giving her a chance.

I have given up. Reality has set in.
Trying to have a relationship with my daughter is impossible. Based on lies, stealing, hurting me emotionally, all for no reasons that normal people would use as an excuse.

I have tried for years to get her some help. She believes she is just fine and I am the danger to her well-being.
Now she knows I have read into her and she shows her true colors only to me.

You just have to let go and protect your spirit. It can destroy you if you allow it to.

You cannot have a relationship with a sociopath based on any truths. There are none.

The Anthonys have been in denial. They are now confronted with the outcome of not acceptiong the inevitable. Casey murdered her child to show control of Caley. If she couldn’t have her daughter, feeling threatened by her mother’s threat to get custody, then no one would have her. It’s about CONTROL. This is my opinion.

Does Casey know what she did to her daughter? Perhaps. If she does, she doesn’t care. Sometimes they disassociate themselves from actions. She may truly believe someone else committed this horrendous act. My daughter disassociates often, even with evidence to show otherwise. They will deny till hell freezes over.

My daughter has a little girl too. I am trying to gain custody to protect her from the drug abuse, alcohol, and perhaps endangering her further.
That little girl has no one to protect her from her mother’s illness nor her abuse of drugs. My daughter doesn’t want me around my grandchild, as if I am the dangerous one. It gets so twisted.

I don’t want to become a victim like the Anthony family.

In the end, the sociopath feels no remorse. They are dead inside. They only feel anger. They “act”. They mimic others to learn appropriate behaviors.

I hope I have shed some light on the mystery of sociopathic behavior.

aMom May 27, 2009, 6:52 AM

They feel normal and we are the crazy ones.

I have given up. Reality has set in.

Now she knows I have read into her and she shows her true colors only to me.

I don’t want to become a victim like the Anthony family.

I hope I have shed some light on the mystery of sociopathic behavior.

Kermit June 21, 2009, 2:13 PM

Hi all. You have to recognize when the right place and the right time fuse and take advantage of that opportunity. There are plenty of opportunities out there. You can’t sit back and wait.
I am from Bulgaria and also now’m speaking English, tell me right I wrote the following sentence: “Lamisil, terbinafine an oral antifungal drug trade name lamisil used to.”

Thank you so much for your future answers :D. Kermit.

Ciceron September 4, 2009, 9:52 PM

I love this site! great site and great webmaster. Thank youţ bye.
I am from Kazakhstan and also now teach English, please tell me right I wrote the following sentence: “Jean, pinky, and amanda were given to finish however before the bids, gander mastercard.”

Thanks for the help ;-), Ciceron.

Yaron September 6, 2009, 1:48 AM

Badly need your help. A joke’s a very serious thing.
I am from India and , too, and now am writing in English, please tell me right I wrote the following sentence: “The ratio itself has no letters and no services dominant than its show date and capital, equity share trading.”

Regards 8-) Yaron.

Gittel September 10, 2009, 6:52 AM

Badly need your help. Cheerfulness, it would appear, is a matter which depends fully as much on the state of things within, as on the state of things without and around us.
I am from Tonga and also now am reading in English, give please true I wrote the following sentence: “I encourage to be paid as the one who loves most to the destination of the community and stay to offer that with the data, he lightened.”

Thanks for the help :-(, Gittel.

diazepam December 1, 2010, 3:13 PM

Great stuff from you, man. Ive read your stuff before and youre just too awesome. I love what youve got here, love what youre saying and the way you say it. You make it entertaining and you still manage to keep it smart. I cant wait to read more from you. This is really a great blog.

Andrew Childers December 29, 2010, 6:24 AM

Very nice article and right to the point. I don’t know if this is actually the best place to ask but do you people have any thoughts on where to employ some professional writers? Thanks in advance :)

Jailbreak iPhone 4 4.1 January 12, 2011, 4:39 AM

Well I definitely liked studying it. This post offered by you is very practical for proper planning.

Unlock iPhone 3Gs 4.1 January 13, 2011, 8:55 AM

Awesome

Belgrade January 14, 2011, 12:20 AM

Very well written information. It will be helpful to anyone who usess it, including me. Keep doing what you are doing - can’r wait to read more posts.

Sacha Sutton February 11, 2011, 4:45 AM

You are a very intelligent individual!

orkiestry weselne February 19, 2011, 2:11 AM

Neat post. I spent quite a bit of time studying information about this.

dofollow list of blogs March 29, 2011, 1:32 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.