The Most Hated Mom in America

Brenda Slaby left her two-year-old daughter sitting in a scorching hot car for eight hours. Her daughter died. Today she broke her silence and spoke to Oprah about the tragedy.

Slaby left daughter Cecilia in the car after a slight change in her usual morning routine. Cecilia was found eight hours later, but was already dead. In a police interview, Brenda cried: "Good mothers don't do this, I don't know how I could live without my kids. They are my life. I just want to die." Unfortunately, this mom isn't alone: this summer,  16 kids died in just two months. Brenda talked about the tragedy -- and told Oprah how she's coping today.

next: These Booster Seats are Unsafe
Anonymous October 1, 2008, 8:49 PM

oprah is on crack….”your daughter is an angel” yah, nice……

Anonymous October 1, 2008, 9:31 PM

If she wasn’t so worried about picking up donuts and taking them into school, she would not have forgot her daughter in the car.

Barb October 2, 2008, 9:42 AM

We’ve all made mistakes with our children—I feel bad that this woman has to live with this the rest of her life. I’ve always been paranoid about that happening to my children, and every day I check the backseat before I get out, even though I KNOW they’re not back there. It’s a tragedy, and I commend her for coming forward with her story. My thoughts are with her family…

mh October 2, 2008, 12:46 PM

I agree that OPRAH is on crack… For me there are degress to everything. I have no idea what the degree of stress is in her life, but leaving any child in a car at anytime of the day or night is unthinkable for me.
Yes, we all are stressed and I get upset with my children a lot but am afraid to leave them in the car alone to just run in a pay for gas.
Even if my husband or I know that someone is picking up our children we always call to verify with each other and that person. I wonder what happened in her life to make her ERASE the fact that she had a child in her car. I can not think of anything other than being abducted by aliens (legal or not). In excusable in my book. We all have to take responsibility for our actions and not placate our actions. IN EXCUSABEL is not storng enough!!!

Anonymous October 2, 2008, 5:53 PM

Donuts on the mind

Amanda October 3, 2008, 3:46 PM

Yeah, I love it…

She “gets” to be an angel. That’s great. She never got to be a human being any older than 2 years old though.

Michelle October 8, 2008, 1:47 AM

Sad for the families this has happened to but why is it getting so common all of a sudden? I have never forgotten any of my 3 kids or any other child in my care….how do you forget there is another human being in a car with you…does no one have a rearview mirror??

e October 19, 2008, 10:02 PM

This woman 2 years ago could have been any one of you.. Commenting on a site like this, saying the exact same thing.. Instead of bashing her, and her child why don’t you thank God that you haven’t made the same mistake.

Anonymous June 24, 2009, 7:01 PM

Inexcusable is how you spell that word. Strong is how you spell that one. None of you have any right to throw stones, you don’t have to be sympathetic but you also do not have to comment. Ignorant, you really prove yourselves as such

cheapviagra9058 August 30, 2010, 6:41 AM
Tiffanie Mathew March 16, 2011, 12:29 PM

I’d have to buy into with you on this. Which is not something I usually do! I love reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to speak my mind!

Sharon A. Baxter March 25, 2011, 4:17 AM