Top Baby Names of 2008

Drumroll, please ... the top baby names of 2008 have just been announced.

smiling baby

Ethan
Daniel
Christopher
Anthony
William
Andrew

Did your baby's name make the list? Comment in the momlogic community.

next: Mark Wahlberg Says No 'Boogie Nights' For His Kids
Derek October 22, 2008, 2:30 PM

Sorry, but I believe that lists like this only help to eliminate originality. This helps promote people using the same names over and over again, which is a real shame.

There are plenty of websites with thousands of names that can help people pick a name for their child. Isn’t that enough? Must we publish lists of the “top” names every year and prevent people from doing some exploring?

Theresa October 22, 2008, 2:43 PM

Nope! My daughter’s name is not on this list, and I’m glad. My sister is named Jessica, and she, like most Jessicas I know, hate that their name is so popular.

foxymama October 22, 2008, 2:44 PM

What is wrong with giving your kid a top name? All of them in their own way are classics. I doubt ML listing out the year’s top names keeps mothers from exploring. What parents want to name their kids - they name them - they are not influeneced by a top 10 names of the year list.
LORDIE!

birdsfly October 22, 2008, 2:44 PM

I think the lists of top names are helpful so that I don’t unknowingly give my baby a name that is being overused.

BabyCachet October 22, 2008, 2:55 PM

Oh, Emma’s on there. I love that name for my daughter!

Wendi October 22, 2008, 3:25 PM

None of my kids names are on there. When I choose their names I had done tons of research behind there names so that I got ones that ment something to me and will to them later in life.

amanda October 22, 2008, 3:25 PM

Well my baby girl name is Isabella Sophia when I have one. And it looks like both names are in the top 10! SUcks because didnt want a top named kid!

she October 22, 2008, 4:23 PM

I have a baby Emily but I named her after her great great grandmother so it’s a family name. I wasn’t trying to be trendy lol

Emma October 22, 2008, 5:53 PM

Ahh, my names on there! Haha, anyways, when I was in school there would be about 3 or 4 kyles in every class aswell as Mikes and Ashleys. xD

lolz October 22, 2008, 5:58 PM

i would never use a common name, but i think people are taking the idea of this list way to seriously. it’s interesting to know what people are naming their kids, whether you like being different or not. at least that’s my take on it.

Lisa October 22, 2008, 6:15 PM

When naming my 2 children, I used the ‘Top baby names’ list to see what not to name them.

My name is SO unoriginal, Lisa Marie. Yep, my parents were Elvis fans! Whenever I meet a woman named Lisa who is around the same age as me, chances are her middle name is Marie also! Oh well. It’s a conversation starter!

What I really hate is when parents take common names and really mess up the spelling! What’s up with that? Your child(and you) is now going to have to correct the spelling of their name for the rest of their LIVES. Think ahead people.

Anonymous October 22, 2008, 9:10 PM

I cannot stand children’s first names that sound like last names.

Jessa October 23, 2008, 7:48 AM

well at least you know which names to AVOID!

Rachel October 24, 2008, 10:31 AM

None of my kids are on there either…thank god. I’m glad that my kids don’t have really popular names that way you don’t have to worry so much about there being four or five in there classes.

Amy October 24, 2008, 10:21 PM

Both of my daughters’ MIDDLE names are on that list, but their first names are not. My youngest, we used Emily for her middle name as an homage to her paternal grandfather, Emile. My other daughter’s middle name is Elizabeth - I haven’t seen that on top 10 lists for quite a few years.

mary October 25, 2008, 4:19 PM

so i named my son umbralla and he is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute

ashley October 26, 2008, 10:44 AM

My daughter was born in 2007 and we named her Sophia, not knowing it was on the list. I have never known another Sophia so we didn’t think it would be that popular. Oh well, it fits her and she has two middle names, Kathryn Rayne, so if she decides she wants to go by one of those then that’s ok with me. I always hated being named Ashley because it was such a popular name. This chick I know just had a little girl about 4 months ago and named her Perri. I think it’s weird.

Melinda October 29, 2008, 6:15 PM

i think its great for people who want a name that isn’t so popular.

lil_momma October 30, 2008, 12:41 PM

I am glad my kids are not on the so-called list of popular names…why would anyone want to have a popular name?.. Name your child whatever you like and dont worry about the LIST of baby names that everyone else has…the name should always come from the hearts of the parents and not from a list!!!!

michelle October 30, 2008, 1:38 PM

gotta agree with the consensus: top name lists elp avioding your child being the ava m. or ava r. in class. some contrived names are a little absurd, but many are quite nice. last names as fisrt names have been around for centuries, and definately why middle names exist ( family or religious names) I in the 70’s was one of a million michelle’s with one of a million brother’s named michael(lame), but in keeping with the beatles tradition from wich i was named for a song,my youngest son’s are lennon and jude, will find out monday via ultra sound if the new baby will be a penny layne or not lol!