Want to Lose Weight? Eat a Banana (or Four)

A new diet has people eating bananas by the droves. But is it healthy?

woman hand breaking the top of a banana

There is a new weight lose craze in Japan called The Morning Banana Diet. And apparently its popularity is so huge, supermarkets in Tokyo can't maintain their supply with the demand for bananas.

The Morning Banana Diet is simple:

• For breakfast, eat a banana (or as many as you want) and a glass of room temperature water.

• You can eat anything you like for lunch and dinner -- even fried foods -- as long as you're finished eating by 8 p.m.

• A three o'clock snack is okay, but dessert is prohibited -- and you must go to bed before midnight.

• You can drink a bit of room-temperature water at meals, but only a little bit. Don't drink too much water throughout the day. You can drink alcohol at social events.

• You can work out if you really want to but otherwise don't worry about it. You don't want to put any stress on your body.

Experts question The Morning Banana Diet, saying the human body has three essential nutrients -- carbohydrates, fat and protein -- and that the rule is to balance these three nutrients and a daily calorie intake -- not O.D. on one specific food.

But fried food whenever you want, and skipping the gym? We're in.

Tell us -- would you try this diet?

next: Some Parents Peeved About Transgender Teacher
sherry October 17, 2008, 9:01 PM

Um, no way. Just bananas for breakfast would have me crashing hard. I need protein in the morning - and coffee!

Deborah  October 20, 2008, 7:30 AM

I have tried everything else, so yes. My only problem is giving up coffee!!!

Wizbac October 20, 2008, 11:00 AM

I would try this diet.

Ed Roman October 20, 2008, 11:28 AM

Why not give it a try? I will certainly try it.

Rita October 20, 2008, 3:54 PM

Presently I eat a banana a day before going to the gym around noon, they help
prevent muscles cramping in the gym, but
the potassium (important to life) is needed for many other things as well. I’ll give it a try but I can’t say that
I hold a lot of promise in it … but what happens when you don’t typically eat breakfast in the morning such as myself - hmmm? I’m also thinking that I MAY get sick of eating BANANAs & then
have to take potassium supplements … oh heck - I’ll try it for a day or two & see how I feel … lol
Good Luck ALL!!!!

mom 5 October 20, 2008, 4:51 PM

hey i’ll try it to see what happens. i’ve tryed everthing else. it won’t hurt if it don’t work right.

Oh Mom October 21, 2008, 4:47 PM

Actually, bananas CAN help with weight loss. They contain resistant starch, whose byproducts block conversion of some carbohydrates into fuel, forcing your body to rely on fat stores instead. Bananas’ overall nutrient density also counteracts deficiency-fueled cravings.

You can learn about all this where I did: www.dolenutrition.com/bananadiet

Anonymous October 21, 2008, 5:55 PM

RITA!!! You should eat breakfast! It boosts your metabolism. =) “Oh yeah!” (say it like the koolaid guy). Plus you don’t want your sugar levels to spike then drop spike then drop..and so on. Over time that can contribute to Diabetes.

Food is fuel for your body to do all physical things..even walking. Give me an ‘A’..Give me a ‘T’..Give me a ‘P’..what does that spell..”ENERGY!” =) “Oh yeah!”

Queen Bee October 22, 2008, 10:16 AM

I’ve started the bannan diet this morning. I feel very full. I’ve eaten two bananas and a glass of water. I’m going to see how this diet works. I think this is worth a try. I would like to get into my little black dress for New Years Eve. ;o)

mom1 November 4, 2008, 10:32 AM

I would want to try it except fot the fact that I wonder what it would do to my stomach. Don’t want to spend my life in the bathroom!

amna December 11, 2008, 3:04 AM

i dont know if i am going to try this diet because i heard that banana’s makes you fat

sick of diets January 6, 2009, 3:25 AM

The thing I would be worried about is dehydration. This diet recomends not drinking a lot of water, and only a little at meals. Water helps flush toxins from the body, as well as many other vital functions. Any diet that recomends not drinking water can’t possibly work, or be healthy.

Thompson January 14, 2009, 1:14 PM

Wow gotta try it!!! I sure hope this works. I’ve got to be beach ready in 6 months!!! White sandy beaches here I come!!!!

Sherry February 16, 2009, 9:02 AM

I would definitely give it a test run…My husband had already heard of it. Dont know if he tried it though…Good luck to anyone else trying!!!

How I Lost Thirty Pounds in Thirty Days April 29, 2009, 12:06 AM

Great post! Just wanted to let you know you have a new subscriber- me!

sexy.babylove May 8, 2009, 9:17 PM

Actually I would try this diet idea

ecip July 17, 2010, 2:43 PM

No Water? In case you’ve spent your life secluded in a cave somewhere - advising others to live without drinking water is very irresponsible. And that is putting it politely.

You may want to consider a job at the mall selling shoes as opposed to shelling reckless nutritional advise.

www.sextoyfun.com/x_x_x August 5, 2010, 4:14 AM
www.sextoyfun.com/x_x_x August 5, 2010, 4:16 AM
Pilar Mccrosky December 30, 2010, 3:42 AM

Hello there I’m getting a trouble browsing your web site, I am receiving 500 errors extremely regularly, I am not very clear about why however when I reload the webpage it comes fine.