What's Up with McCain's Tongue?

You be the judge.

Many bloggers are commenting on how many times McCain stuck out his tongue last night during the debate.

John McCain

What is the meaning of this?

Here are the top five theories floating around:

• Retired FBI agent and poker expert Joe Navarro says: Tongue-jutting behavior is a gesture used by people who think they have gotten away with something or are "caught" doing something. It's a "tell."
• It's just a nervous twitch.
• He's just wetting his dry mouth or chapped lips.
Stephen Colbert says McCain is going for the "reptile vote."
• It's an "old person" thing.

Colbert McCain

What do you think?

Related Galleries

next: Bristol Palin Rejoice! Kids of Teen Moms Live Longer
Bella October 16, 2008, 10:42 PM

As much of some of these theories are far more hilarious, I think it’s just a nervous, excitable twitch.

praying4baby#2 October 17, 2008, 2:06 AM

I love that it’s an “old person” thing! lol!

lynne October 17, 2008, 7:00 AM

i think it is nerves…proving he is a normal person like us and not a rehearsed robot like obama..

momoffour October 17, 2008, 8:12 AM

My husband says the same thing, lynne! He’s normal and not so smooth (politicians usually can smoothly smooth out problem questions ~ dance around stuff in other words and not really answer) but mccain seems more like a real person who has to think before answering a bit to make sure he says it right.

Rose October 17, 2008, 9:27 AM

He’s not normal! Who could be after all the stuff he went through in war? People think that makes him stronger but look closely. He doesn’t answer questions he lies a lot, that is fact. If he manages to get in to office beware, we will have an angry and old victim of war trying to make decisions for us. He looks more like an obsolete robot then anyone I’ve seen. Open your eyes and your hearts, do the right thing.

Rikki October 17, 2008, 10:08 AM

And voting for Obama is “the right thing” Rose…HA! Give me a break. And for the record, Obama has also lied alot-just like every other politician. It is part of the job description, didn’t you know that?
The fact that he is “an angry and old victim of war” makes him a hero in my book.

Lori M October 17, 2008, 12:07 PM

Really, this is actually a story… Anyway, John McCain is a fantastic comedian! I loved him at the Alfred E. Smith benefit. He had Hillary Clinton bustin’ a gut! It was great to see the funny side of John McCain. He seems like a great person to hang out with. He is a natural and so real! I love that about him! He was great on David Letterman too! He laughed his way right through David Letterman’s interrogation and I loved it! I look forward to seeing Sarah Palin on SNL, too! She is awesome and it will be nice to see Sarah Palin just having fun! They are two good people. :) Oh and sorry Rose but you are so wrong. Barack is the liar and everybody who is intelligent knows that. His real tax plan was exposed when he spoke with Joe the Plumber…SPREAD THE WEALTH. Meaning I will take from you and give to the “poor” (welfare recipients)! What a crock of c@*p! Barack Obama is a socialist! Free yourself, don’t vote for him! McCain wants less government which means less restrictions on the people and more money in your pockets! How can you say no to that? I mean really! He wants us to decide what to do with our money. If we want to give it to the poor then that decision will be left up to us. We won’t be FORCED to do so. I have many ministries that I give to and I like the fact that I am able to CHOOSE who I want to give to.

JMR October 17, 2008, 1:56 PM

How anyone could vote Republican after the eight years we have been through is amazing. Our country is in the worst shape ever. Any you want to keep the same people around? I just don’t understand.

Patricia October 17, 2008, 4:11 PM

Rose, don’t listen to them, you are soooo right! They just sound like typical loud mouth republicans!!

Rose October 17, 2008, 6:38 PM

Oh, I see how you think… not all poor people are on welfare, and many who are have had unfortunate circumstances. I’m glad to hear you aren’t one of those people. Apparently, you make at least $250,000 how fortunate, and will probably miss an evening out if you get a tax increase. But for the millions who don’t make that much for whatever reason are finally going to get a small break. Socialism is not what any of the candidates are looking for except the ones who want to keep the rich richer. That way they can continue to scratch each others wealthy backs. Hero’s do not necessarily make good Presidents. I am very particular about liar’s, please, what has Obama lied about and please don’t point to one of the Oh, I see how you think… not all poor people are on welfare, and many who are have had unfortunate circumstances. I’m glad to hear you aren’t one of those people. Apparently, you make at least $250,000 how fortunate, and will probably miss an evening out if you get a tax increase. But for the millions who don’t make that much for whatever reason are finally going to get a small break. Socialism is not what any of the candidates are looking for except the ones who want to keep the rich richer so they can continue to support them, who are also very wealthy. Hero’s do not necessarily make good Presidents. I am very particular about lies and liar’s! Please, what has Obama lied about and please don’t point to one of the misquotes or out of text comments. Good night and good luck with your selfish attitude.

Lori M October 17, 2008, 8:58 PM

Oh Rose, are you serious? What has Barack Obama lied about? Just about everythng. You just don’t understand how a socialist type government works. Please, I encourage you to read what President Hoover did during the Great Depression. He did the same thing that Obama is planning on doing. It will crash the economy for good. Under Hoover’s administration, people in the top income bracket had their taxes raised from 25% to 63%. Barack Obama is planning on doing the same thing. It didn’t work then and it certainly won’t work now. If you vote for Barack Obama be prepared for the next Great Depression. It is inevitable! During the Great Depression people lost all their money to banks that crashed. They lost their jobs. The unemployment rate was at an all time high. They had to stand in line for government food or starve. Is this what we want for America? I wouldn’t take this lightly and if you think this is selfish then perhaps you are right…I am thinking selfishly about MY CHILDREN’S FUTURE. I am not in the $250,000 or above bracket. My family is well below that but I am not naive enough to think that Barack Obama will not raise our taxes. Bill Clinton made the same promises that Barack Obama is making. He LIED and did raise our taxes! Trust me, when the businesses that are hiring you and others are being taxed at a 63% rate, you will see people being layed off at an alarming rate. They will have no choice. They won’t sacrifice profit for the “little guy”. But Barack Obama has a plan to fix this…he will spread the wealth around. Those who are unemployed will be supported by those who are struggling to keep their businesses a float. Sounds like a plan that will fail to me. You be the judge.

Lori M October 17, 2008, 9:37 PM

JMR You don’t understand…hmmm…perhaps that is because you don’t understand that since we put Democrats in charge in Congress our economy has hit rock bottom. Think about it…Not only has the economy taken a nose dive but so has the moral values of America. No more mention of God in schools, it’s illegal. The ten commandments are not allowed in the court room…hmmm…so why bother with law if we don’t uphold God’s commandments? Do you really think it is coincidence that gas prices are at an all time high? If Democrats would have stopped voting no on an energy plan this never would have happened. We could have been drilling for oil here in America. They say they are for drilling now BUT they deceive you because just recently their plan included a provision that will not allow any drilling unless it is 50 miles offshore. It’s NOT POSSIBLE! Get the facts! They are liars! Barack Obama said he is going to “look into” to drilling…bull c@*p! That is all he will do and nothing else. We will remain dependent on foreign oil and our economy will crash! We cannot afford to live under these conditions. It is ridiculous to have to pay over $3.00 for gas per gallon. It is not acceptable! Young people like my 22 year old son struggle everyday looking for change around the house to try to put gas in his car to make it to work. He has a good job but it’s not enough. He needs help. I trust John McCain to help him not Barack Obama and his socialist tax scam!

Justine October 17, 2008, 11:08 PM

Hey, Lori, why must you attack everyone who does not share your opinion? Back off!!!!! You put anyone down that is not a McCain supporter, is that really what you want to teach our kids, that the world should revolve around your beliefs. Bush made a lot of bad choices that have effected every single one us. And guess what he’s a Republican.

Wenfery October 18, 2008, 10:03 AM

Maybe it’s an old guy thing.
….another reason we need a strapping young intelligent, Obama.
God forbid we have Sarah Palin a heart beat away from the presidency. Ugh.
I agree with you Justine, Rose, Patricia, JMR, Rikki. I’m sure I don’t have to tell you that the rest of the world prefers Obama over McCain. Bush and the Repubs have brought our country to an all time low in our relations with the rest of the world saids abc news, the BBC polls, the World news polls. - So this election is so being watched around the world. It matters a great deal because it can come back to bite us in the butt.

Lori M October 18, 2008, 11:30 AM

Wenfery Young perhaps. Not so intelligent, though. You are naive if you think it was Bush and Republicans who brought our country to an all time low. Apparently, you forgot that we have had a Democratic Congress for two years now. Amazing how much has happened in those two years, huh? Oil prices sky rocketed, we’ve had an economic crisis, we can’t mention God in schools, the ten commandments are banned from court rooms. I could go on and on. We can thank the bleeding heart liberals for all of this.

Lori M October 18, 2008, 11:44 AM

Rikki, Wenfery agreed with you. I guess Wenfery thinks Obama is a liar, too. At least Wenfery got one thing right! :)

Wenfery October 18, 2008, 12:28 PM

No, I’m not naive. I wrote about what abc news is saying and what the polls are saying about the world’s perceptions
of Bush and the Repubs not what I THINK.
And No, Lori, I don’t Agree with Rikki. Misread! Just like your Misread on what I said. And my comments were addressed to those who are for Obama. As Justine said,
not everyone has to share YOUR opinion.

Ashleigh October 18, 2008, 1:33 PM

It souds to me that Lori M might be a little bitter. If people would read Barack’s tax plan they would see that he is not raising peoples taxes to 63%. That’s just ridiculous. What he proposes is if you make over $250,000 the amount you make up to $250,000 will be taxed as normal and the excess over $250,000 will be taxed an additonal 4%. he is not raising taxes on people who make under $250,000.

Jason October 18, 2008, 2:59 PM

Um, Lori, hate to mention it, but don’t you realize we live within a secular government, not a religious one?

In case you’re unfamiliar with the first amendment of the US constitution, I quote:
“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…”

Or are you opposed to the US constitution too?

T-rex McCain October 18, 2008, 5:27 PM

“Lori, It’s me T-rex McCain. I’m counting on you to change their open-minded ways. With your bullish ways, know it all hag that you are. Oh yeah RAAAARRRR.”