Which is the Best Age?

Momlogic's Andrea, "Many people seems to think three is the best age. What about the next 15 years?!

kingtoddler.jpg
Lately, when I'm out and about with my three-year-old, parents have been coming up to me and wistfully telling me three is the best age. Sometimes with their older kids within earshot. Ouch.

While I admit I'm having a wonderful time with my toddler, I can't help think their nostalgic reminiscence means the next 15 years is all downhill. I do realize the teenage years aren't going to be a cake walk -- you don't hear anyone getting misty eyed reminiscing about their thirteen-year-old, but what about all those years in between?

Look, I'm in this whole parenting thing for the long haul, but on how much everyone is envious of my time with my preschooler I have to wonder: Instead of actually giving birth to a child would we be better off renting a three-year-old and returning them promptly when they turn four?

Is there really a "best" age for kids?

next: Do You Have the Balls For These Recipes?
Anonymous October 4, 2008, 10:49 AM

I think it’s even better at 4! You can sit back without wondering if they’re playing in toilet water or throwing your maltese in the pool.

AfterGirl October 4, 2008, 4:31 PM

I have a 25 year old daughter. The one thing my mother taught me was to enjoy them at every age. There is something wonderful to enjoy no matter what age they are. They are continually discovering and yes pushing the boundries.

Enjoy your children at every age. There is no “best” age.

swimfinsmom October 4, 2008, 5:30 PM

Five months until about nine months is so fun, and I think five years old is just the best. :o) Teens suck in general. lol

Mom of five, ages 4 to 19

Anonymous October 5, 2008, 10:49 AM

I can’t wait for other ages—I mean, I can. But I loved my daughters babyhood, and I LOVE her at two, and I can’t wait to go clothes shopping for the first day of school, or get her hair done for the prom. I am excited thinking about what she’ll be as a young woman—cheerleader? artistic punk girl? bookworm? average c student? I don’t care which, I’m just excited for every step.

Becca October 6, 2008, 6:07 AM

I don’t think there is a best age! I think every age has its good points and bad points! While I miss my older children being little its nice to be able to talk to them and have more interactive conversations! I don’t miss pooppy diapers and toddler tantrums! Anyways all ages are good!

Sharon October 6, 2008, 8:48 AM

I am the mother of 4 (18, 16, 14, 11) I think what people are really saying (and not a problem saying in front of their older kids) is that 3, or in my opinion the supposedly terrible, Terrific 2s, are when they are so cute & precious and excited and learning so much, discovering things and who they are. There is just so much packed in to a few years especially…maybe makes them a little more special, not necessarily better. :-)
*And some of the things they say…! :-D

dragonfly49 October 6, 2008, 7:07 PM

My youngest son is 29 and I’m still trying to figure out the answer to this one. Guess I’m still waiting for that “best age” - LOL