Why Not Having a Mom Sucks

Momlogic's Julie: When I heard the news of Jennifer Hudson's mom's death today, I felt sick to my stomach ... because I know exactly how it feels to not have a mom.

jennifer hudson and mom

Jennifer Hudson's mom died today, and I'm sure it is the worst day of Jennifer's life. Jennifer is 27, the exact same age I was when my mom died. My life has never been the same.

Jennifer Hudson's mom will never see Jennifer walk down the aisle. That is a dream that every mother has for their daughter. It is heart-wrenching to think about how close her mother was to actually having that dream come true, since Jennifer just got engaged.

Jennifer Hudson's mom will never see Jennifer's kids. My mom never saw mine either. It's hard not to feel cheated when I hear my friends talk about how much their own moms love and dote on their babies. It kills me on the inside to know that my mom will never be able to kiss or hug my two beautiful children, because I can only imagine how much she would have loved them.

Jennifer Hudson's kids will never know their grandmother. I tell my kids about Grandma Freda but it's hard for them to really know how wonderful she was because they will never meet her. Pictures and stories can only convey so much, but they're all we've got.

Jennifer Hudson's mom will never see Jennifer as a mother. It saddens me so deeply to know that my mother never got to see me as a mother. She never got to see the woman that I grew up to be ... the person that she shaped and molded for 27 years.

Jennifer Hudson will never be able to call her mom again. That's what I miss most ... being able to pick up the phone and hear her voice. I never got to call her when my kids had a midnight fever to ask her advice. I never got to call her to share a funny story about preschool or kindergarten. I never got to call her to ask what I was like at three, at five, at seven.

Jennifer Hudson will never have a mother again. And no one will ever love you as deeply or be as proud of you as your mother is. I have an awesome husband, a great dad, a wonderful brother and two amazing kids, but tears are streaming down my cheeks right now as I write this ... nearly 10 years after her death ... because no one can ever replace your mother.

And that's an ache that never goes away.

next: Elisabeth Hasselbeck and Sarah Palin Team Up
Lecia Scribner October 25, 2008, 1:18 AM

Hello Jennifer my heart goes out to you and your family I lost my mother when I was 20 and the sad part about it was that I was pregant with my son. My heart hurts all the time for her. Through all that I found GOD and he has truely blessed me and just know that it never gets better it just gets eaiser to deal with, through time,prayer and GOD’S grace. It has been 16 years since she passed but it only feels like yesterday so to all that has lost a loved one I pray for you and evryone please keep Jennifer in your prayers because she is going to need take care and may GOD BLESS you all

em October 25, 2008, 1:19 AM

I can relate. I lost my mother at 17 to lung cancer and no she did not smoke nor was she around asbestos. I also agree the hardest thing is the urge to call my mother when…her number is no longer functional. Shortly after the death I would just call the number that was yet to be disconnected just to hear her voice on the voicemail. I would also set my alarm at the same time of her death every day as a reminder.
Family friends said that losing someone close screws someone’s life up for the rest of their life. They meant well…in that its a loss no one can really get over. But I believe I have matured and grown stronger and am more spiritual as a result. Jennifer has my condolences. I am shocked, outraged and deeply saddened by the nature of her loss. May not only the killers be brought to justice but let them answer to God. Momlogic you have my belated condolences as well.

Quinniece October 25, 2008, 1:29 AM

My condolences go out to Jennifer Hudson and her family. Me and my family will pray for her and ask GOD to keep her strong and to walk each step with her as she walks.We will also pray that GOD continue to watch over her and bless her.Remembering GOD always has her back.I have not lost my mother yet, but I did lose my father to tradgey also and as long as she calls on The Lord he will always be there right by her side.

bj October 25, 2008, 1:46 AM

My prayers go out to Jennifer and her
family.

Dorothy October 25, 2008, 2:55 AM

I lost my mother to a lung deases when I was 16 years old and my mother was 37 and 2 days old. I am now 46 years old and I still cry for the mother that I do not have.
Jennifer I pray you are doing okay as I know you will have pain in your heart for your mother for forever. Remember her smiles, and know she is still with you in spirit. God Bless You….

geneva October 25, 2008, 3:01 AM

DEAR JENNIFER AND FAMILY,FRIENDS,AND FANS,

IN THE NAME OF JESUS PEACE BE STILL.

TERRY TAYLOR October 25, 2008, 3:43 AM

I LOST MY MOTHER THREE DAYS BEFORE MY TWENTY-FIRST BIRTHDAY.YES SHE GOT TO SEE ME MARRIED AND HAD A SON WHO WAS FOUR YEARS OLD AT THE TIME BUT GOD WILL HELP JENNIFER MAKE IT THROUGH THESE HARD TIMES.JUST TRUST IN GOD. I LOST MY HUSBAND OF TWENTY NINE YEARS OF MARRIAGE AND THE HURT IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT THEN MY MOTHER FOR HE GAVE ME THE COMFORT THAT WAS MISSING FROM HER BUT I KNOW DEEP DOWN INSIDE THEY ARE STILL WITH ME.

Marjorie Merrill October 25, 2008, 3:54 AM

Dear Jennifer, Only God can touch your mind and heart in a way that will carry you through this very tragic bitter-sweet time in your life. If there was ever a time for your faith to be tested this is it! But I know, that you know like I know, mom and big brother are smiling down upon you filled with love, peace and pride knowing that they live forever in your beautiful heart…

chhaya October 25, 2008, 7:27 AM

iam so hurt about jennifer hudson mom and her brother i cried when i heard it on the news she loved her mom and her brother. my heart goes out to her iam so sad rigth now but i want jennifer hudson to keep her head up and know god will get her through this she is a inspirstion to me and i will be with her all the way.

Cynthia October 25, 2008, 8:23 AM

The bible reads a comforter shall come. That is the holly spirit that dwells inside of you. There will be a connection made. So many people are in intercessory prayer on your behalf. You too will get through this. Just talk to GOD, he is your best friend. Know without a shadow of doubt he listens.

May GOD bless you and yours with much love.

katherine October 25, 2008, 8:42 AM

my heart goes out to Jennifer and her family..I too lost my mother at 23 twenty eight years ago and not a day goes by without her on my mind in some way. Your mother is your rock and foundation she molds you to become the woman your’e to be. when I heard about it about this tragedy my heart sanked. I was so sad beacause I know her pain and loss..It’s the worse there is. Julia hit it head on..Jennifer know that your faith will get you through this.Your mom and your brother will always be there with you every day guiding you. I also lost my big brother so I know what the days holds for you….

GOD BLESS YOU
you will be in my prayers

Hannah October 25, 2008, 8:47 AM

The title of this story struck a chord with me — mostly, because I, too, lost my mother. I was 17 and she was killed in a car crash. And you can never anticipate the horendous, gruesome aftermath that ensues. It’s been over six years but I still feel cheated every day — every day I go into work and see women with their mothers, of all ages, having had the wonderful opportunity of having their mother by their side throughout their adult life. We never had the blessing of knowing each other outside the stressful teenage years that mothers and daughters all experience.She’ll never know the person that I am today, she’ll never know my husband, and I don’t even want kids as a result of her untimely death. I can’t imagine raising kids without her guidance and support. It sucks! My heart aches tremendously for Jennifer and all who have to suffer such an awful tragedy.

na October 25, 2008, 9:15 AM

While I feel terrible for her family in this moment of turmoil, we must shed light on what it’s like to be a motherless child. She is fortunate & blessed, as were you, to have ever been mothered & to have had someone that wants to see you walk down the aisle. To feel a mother’s love is something that I have never experienced. There are many people, myself included, who have been emotionally abandoned by our mothers. we know what it’s like to not have a mother & it’s terrible.

LISA JACOBS October 25, 2008, 10:56 AM

MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO JENNIFER HUDSON AND HER FAMILY AT THIS DIFFICULT TIME, PLEASE KNOW THAT GOD WILL SEE YOU THOUGH.

cece October 25, 2008, 3:12 PM

i am so sorry that had to happying

PYD October 25, 2008, 3:37 PM

Jeniffer, I’m sorry for your loss. No words can express what you and your family are going through. I know your nephew will be located and come back to the family safely. I lost my mom as a little girl and I have never stop missing her and actually don’t really remember anything about her because I was so young. I know with the love of you family and friends you will begin to heal. Please remember that God loves you and he is able to comfort you and give you hope better then anything else will, so please talk to him.

I love you Jennifer,

PYD

Betty  October 25, 2008, 6:41 PM

I also felt sick to the stomach when I heard about the death of Jennifer’s mom and brother. I lost my mom and sister in August and December 2002. The pain was so overwhelming that I suffered a nervous breakdown. It will take a long time but only time can help heal the pain. My prayers are with Jennifer and her family.

Randi October 25, 2008, 9:58 PM

I was very happy to see this article and read it word for word many times. I even read it out loud to my husband. This is EXACTLY what I have been feeling since my mother passed 3 years ago. Someone who has not lost their mother doesn’t understand what it is like to lose her. There is no getting over it or even getting used to it. I had a 4 month old when she was diagnosed and barely a 1 year old when she finally passed. I ache for all the things I will never have and this article did show that, in words that I couldn’t just portray.

I have to disagree with the comments that god doesn’t give us what we cant handle. I had many many bad things happen all at once when my mom was sick and passed and many people said this to me. I also had a house fire, other relatives pass, relationship issues, money problems etc. I hated the phrase and stopped people when they started to say it. If we were only given things we can handle, then why is there suicide? People turning to drugs and alcohol? If you think this is the right way to see things, then maybe and hopefully, you haven’t been faced with such horrible things.

Katie October 26, 2008, 6:57 PM

My mother also died when I was 24, I now have a one year old daughter… and the words you have written Julie, could have been spoken from my own heart.
My prayers go out to all, with mother’s and without… I have to say though, I feel like it is more difficult for me being a mother, without the luxury of having a mother myself.

Tanee" October 27, 2008, 11:46 AM

I can truly relate to this article. My Mom passed away in April 2005, the pain is unexplainable, the soul has an empty space, and know one can ever understand unless they have lost their mom. I feel for Jennifer Hudson deeply. She have to continue to pray and put GOD first and that will help ease the everlasting pain.