You're Better with Makeup On

A new study says women who wear cosmetics are more confident and have better communication skills than those who don't.

woman with with eyebrow brush

You how putting on a fresh coat of lipstick can give you a pick-me-up? Or how applying cover-up to a blemish makes you feel a little more bold?

Well that's no coincidence. According to a new study, when women apply makeup, they become more confident and in turn have better communication skills.

Here's how it works: When a woman looks at herself in the mirror after applying makeup, her brain chemicals change, reacting as though the reflection is a different person. This "new" reflection causes the woman to view herself more objectively (and briefly forget her flaws), which creates more confidence and better communication skills.

That doesn't mean every woman has to slap on a face full of war paint when she leaves the house, but it's nice to know a little lipstick can result in newfound confidence!

next: How Jenny McCarthy Saved Her Son
amanda October 16, 2008, 2:08 PM

I can totally see this. I don’t wear makeup that often unless I am going out for the evening or interviews. When I put make up on I seem more confident and I feel more beautiful

amanda October 16, 2008, 2:08 PM

Jenn_D October 16, 2008, 2:15 PM

Oh please. I’ve never worn makeup, I am perfectly confident and my communication skills are just fine. What a load of poppycock.

halen October 16, 2008, 7:49 PM

Jenn, not EVERYONE is going to fall into that category, obviously. Ever hear of a bell curve?
Consider yourself lucky. But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t apply to other people, simply because YOU are the exception to the rule.

Vicki October 17, 2008, 8:40 AM

If I could go out in public without makeup on I would be thrilled, but I have white eyelashes and white eyebrows and when I don’t wear makeup my face disappears!! I won’t even walk to the mailbox without makeup on.

ashley October 17, 2008, 9:19 AM

I totally agree with this story. I wear makeup about 90% of the time. When I don’t, I feel icky. It makes me think people will think that I don’t care. I know some people who don’t need much makeup because they are gorgeous and then I know some who do and don’t wear it. I’m like, why not?? Don’t you want to try to look better??

Phyllis October 17, 2008, 7:33 PM

I’ve worn makeup (NOT WAR PAINT) almost 50 years and always feel more confident and feel perfect even with my flaws!
Women who think a little paint is poppycock should take a good look at themselves in a magnifying mirror!

Maureen October 23, 2008, 1:11 PM

This is so very true! Since getting sick 2 1/2 years ago I rarely wear makeup unless I have something “important” to do (i.e. children’s school concert). It makes me feel much more confident and pretty. It also makes me forget that I am sick sometimes.