Why Nobody is Looking for Caylee

Momlogic spoke to the lead spokesperson from the investigation on why he believes Caylee Anthony is dead.

Caylee anthony

Most people following the tragic case of missing Caylee Marie Anthony believe the child met her end at the hands of her own mother, Casey Anthony. Adding to the public's doubts of Casey Anthony's innocence, Cindy and George Anthony's lawyer quit yesterday because he said he could no longer stand by his clients' belief their granddaughter is alive. Now even the lead investigators on the case believe the three-year-old is dead. Officials at the Orange County Sheriff Department issued a statement today that they will only follow tips leading to finding Caylee's remains. They will no longer investigate Caylee Anthony sightings.

This means the latest sighting released by Cindy and George Anthony of a little girl playing on a playground in west Florida will be ignored.

Why? We spoke with Sgt. Carlos Padilla from the Orange County Sheriff's Office for an explanation. "Everything we have: the evidence from the labs, the grand jury indictment, the FBI reports ... they all say that Caylee is dead," he explains. "It would be irresponsible for us to keep up false hope. The sheriff's office will go with what the evidence indicates, and it indicates the child is dead."

caylee anthony

Carlos Padilla is particularly outraged at the Anthonys for releasing a picture of the girl at the playground. "First of all," argues Padilla, "I have five kids, I can spot them in any picture. The Anthonys raised Caylee. They should know what she looks like."

The image he refers to is of a little girl about the same age as Caylee with the same color hair. But if the police did indeed investigate that lead, this is what would happen next: "That family, the parents of that child, would now have to verify that the child is theirs," he says. "Police would come to their house and the parents would have to come forward." Investigating such tips and leads costs police time, money, and resources.

One of the other considerations, according to Padilla, is how a continued search for Caylee would affect the jury at Casey Anthony's trail, set for January. "If we continue to look for a living child, when we have all the evidence to the contrary, it can be used as a way to cast doubt on the jury," he says. "We can be accused of still following leads and tips -- so, the defense can claim we must think the girl is alive. The Anthonys, apparently, are trying to keep the doubt going-- in that way, they can help save their daughter."

Padillia, proud father of five, says he uses Casey's story as a lesson for his older kids: "I tell them that this is an example of a lie." He says that if Casey would just admit what she did, if it was an accident, there could be closure and she wouldn't be on charged with first-degree murder. "But now," he concludes, "it's too late."

What do you think about the police department calling off the search for Caylee? Comment below.

next: Mom Has Thanksgiving Reservations ... Literally
Anonymous November 22, 2008, 12:57 AM

Sad to think that little girl is dead, but they are right..

Mark November 22, 2008, 1:45 AM

Why does Mom Logic think they have any say in this matter? Their articles are laughable.

Rebecca November 22, 2008, 2:07 AM

Mark…are you a friend of Casey Anthony’s?

Deb November 22, 2008, 2:16 AM

Come on Mark, it’s time for the Anthony’s to wake up don’t you think?

Choco November 22, 2008, 2:21 AM

I think that this is very reasonable, the Grandparents are in grave denial. No one kidnaps a child and keeps them for 22 weeks, especially alive.

J.Dee November 22, 2008, 2:26 AM

I think it’s about time. They have given them the benifit of doubt for long enough and the evidence is to the contrary! Sad but true.

Carol November 22, 2008, 3:04 AM

This is such a sad case. I just wish that Casey would have given Caylee to Cindy and George and all would be okay….maybe. Or would they have raised another Casey? That would have been yet another tragedy. But at least she would still be alive. God Bless little Caylee. She’s in Heaven now and at Peace.

G Harland November 22, 2008, 3:46 AM

Well I have just done a digital comparison of the girl in the photo and a still shot of an Anthony home movie. When you make a picture of Caylee in the same pose transparent and superimpose it on this girl, they are exact. I could only find a younger pic of Caylee but even so, this girls facial features and ear are in EXACT proportion to Caylee, and in my opinion could very well be the same person. Nothing shows it is definitely NOT. If any law enforcement are reading this I think you need to take this one seriously and investigate it.

Crisraye November 22, 2008, 3:50 AM

sheesh! I can not begin to imsgine what that family is goin through but obviously standing behind ur daughter is not gonna give u true answers!
Caylee is gone!!
She’s in a better place!!

J.Dee November 22, 2008, 4:09 AM

I just wish Casey would tell the truth now. I believe it was an accident and she was terrified. The jig is up! Will she never tell the truth? If she loved her daughter at all, she would give her the respect of a proper burial so the child can rest in peace.

marcie November 22, 2008, 4:19 AM

G Harland—do you wear very, very thick glasses? Cataracts, perhaps?

G Harland November 22, 2008, 5:33 AM

Marcie.

I am blind because my results dont fit into YOUR belief system?

either:

a) your digital comparison shows different results to mine
b) you can tell better than the family themselves if its her or not
c) you are omnipotent and you were actually here in spirit seeing what I was seeing
d) you know where the body is

whatever it was you were rude in that comment and need to learn to think on a level other than pure emotion.

Pained November 22, 2008, 6:09 AM

Sociopaths are very cunning, smart, charming…all things that made G&C Anthony not want to believe the worst. My heart goes out to them. I know somewhat, what they are going through. Their daughter has mental disease that is not her fault. She does know right from wrong, but because of the disease, does not care and lies to extremes. It’s such a bad situation. My hope and prayers are that we learn from this. If we spot something “just not right”…that we step up and do something. We need more love and compassion and less judgements in this world of such evil and sadness.

Pained November 22, 2008, 6:14 AM

BTW…even I can tell that is NOT Caylee in the photo.

G Harland November 22, 2008, 7:14 AM

The photo is in profile. If you look for yourself, you will find out how hard it is to find a picture of Caylee in profile. Go on google image search right now and find a picture of Caylee in profile. I gave up trying to find one and had to freeze frame a video. I even had to look through quite a few videos to find a profile. So youre saying you can recognize better than the family even though youve probably never seen Caylee in profile before? 99% or 100% of the time when you have seen Caylee it is front on.

I was convinced just like you guys and didnt think it was her - until I compared them digitally - I was actually trying to prove it was NOT her.

es November 22, 2008, 7:53 AM

GH, and maybe you’re just a retard. I’ll just leave it at that. There’s no point of presenting a MOUNTAIN of evidence, against your dillusional thinking. Time for you to put the crack pipe away and get some sleep.

ckptchickie November 22, 2008, 9:05 AM

If it were Caylee, more people would have noticed her.. and I don’t think the kidnappers of such a high profile case would have her at a very public playground… it ain’t her!

Razzy November 22, 2008, 11:27 AM

I agree. That pic is NOT Caylee! Very good point risen by Padilla that the Anthony’s are saying their grandaughter is alive to cause reasonable doubt. I have been thinking this for some time. All those interviews they give are all about saving CASEY from life in prison not CAYLEE. They will do anything to raise reasonable doubt. The whole family creeps me out. I will be moving to Orlando in a couple years due to my job, I’ll be sure not to get a house right next to them. Shivers!!!!

Deb November 22, 2008, 11:42 AM

Pained? Are you for real? You are opening up that can of worms? It’s not poor Casey’s fault? Who are you to say she has an illness that’s not her fault? Remember it came back she was “normal” when she was tested for any mental illnesses! The only illness Casey has is “selfishness”. Period.

RobinCanada November 22, 2008, 12:40 PM

Thanks G. Harland for doing the digital comparison between these pictures. It probably isn’t Caylee IMO but who knows. The police theory seems more likely. The point is that it could be her and there is not unequivocal proof that Caylee is dead. Obviously the Police don’t want to investigate any competing theories now that they have successfully poisoned the entire jury pool against Casey by holding press conferences and overstating the strength of their evidence. The prosecutors may manage to convict Casey and at that point she can appeal the conviction and tell what “really” happened (and write a book). If it turns out that she OR her friends made it appear that a body had been hauled in the car to ensure that the Police would not look very hard for Casey then the plan is working beautifully. Hopefully Casey is with some “nice” family but what kind of person would continue to keep her even if they have paid for an “adoption”? Perhaps they can negotiate an immunity deal in exchange for returning Caylee. The belief that Casey is lying is based on the presumption of guilt and then people use the “fact” that she lied as evidence of guilt. Any of you in Florida could end up on her Jury. What chance does she have of a fair trial. You have turned a potentially capital murder trial into a reality TV show.

“Who wants to fry Casey Anthony”.

She looks guilty as hell based on the circumstances. When there is so much “suggestive” circumstatial evidence but nothing conclusive it raises the possibility that it is a frame up. She had cans of gasoline why would the car not have been burned if she had hauled a body in it? Answer she OR whoever had the car wanted it to be found and wanted it to smell like decomp when it was found.