Grandparents Believe Mall Sighting is Caylee

As the holidays approach, the Anthonys still hope for their granddaughter's safe return. Could a sighting at a mall be the answer to their prayers?

casey anthony caylee anthony

It's been a tough week for the Anthonys -- scratch that, it's been a tough 25 weeks. Since July they've been searching, hoping and praying for the safe return of their beloved granddaughter, Caylee Anthony. Meanwhile, their daughter, Casey Anthony awaits trial for first-degree murder charges in a Florida jail. Then, last week the Anthonys' lawyer, Mark NeJame, resigned followed by the Orange County Sheriffs Office statement announcing they believe the three-year-old is dead and consequently will no longer follow up on any Caylee sighting.

But Dominic Casey, head of D & A Investigations, Inc., the agency working with the Anthony family believes things might be looking up. A photo sent to him via cellphone has offered the Anthonys a least a ray of hope. The picture, taken at Avenue's Mall in Jacksonville, Florida is of a little girl, with similar coloring to the missing toddler. Dominic  believes the resemblance is more than slight. Among the similarities visible in the photo he says is a little patch of thinning hair on the girls head and the way she holds her hands. Both says, Dominic, are strong indicators that would lead him to believe there is a strong possibility that it is Caylee Marie.

The Anthonys think so too, claims Dominic: "George and Cindy have looked at the picture extremely closely for every detail and for all intents and purposes, they believe it is Caylee Marie."

caylee anthony

Who accompanied the little girl to the mall is still a mystery. The anonymous source that snapped the photo did not speak to the toddler. Dominic Casey explains it's not uncommon for people to keep their distance when reporting a missing child. "At first people are in shock. They are afraid to approach for fear that if they do, the people with the child will be scared off." Whether the little girl is indeed Caylee  -- no one has come forward to identify the girl in the photo.

And through it all, life goes on for the Anthony family, including celebrating Thanksgiving. According to a spokesman from the Orange Country Jail, Casey Anthony will celebrate the holiday by eating her Thanksgiving meal, as she does all her meals, alone in her jail cell.

For her parents, Cindy and George, Dominic reports it's extremely difficult for the couple to feel in a festive mood, but friends and family have encouraged them to have a Thanksgiving at their Orlando home. At the table, says Dominic Casey, "there will be two extra plates, one for Caylee and another for Casey."

next: Top 5: Surviving Dinner with the Kids
Helen B. November 25, 2008, 8:43 PM

Sitting here looking at that photo, the thinning hair is where the little girls bangs drop and her hair is pulled back into the ponytail. Not enough!!! If you pull back any little girls hair, it will show a thinning there. Holds her hands? For crying out loud! Not enough!! There is far more indicators that she is not living than these few little pickings. Grandparents are in denial, time to give it up and let this go now. Lies floating around like butterflies, makes one wonder how far they will go to defend their criminal daughter. So many indescrepencies in interviews with both grandparents leads me to believe they know more than they are divulging. If Casey were jailed and turned out with the general population, she might confess or either someone who is in jail due to something that may have happened to a child of theirs might just take care of her without the public paying for it. Most folks don’t take kindly to the injury or murder of a child by anyone, much less the birth vessel. Can’t call her a mother, she has no clue what that means. Time to get on with it now, stop the lies, let it out so this precious little girl can be laid to a proper rest. It is my hope that Casey is haunted by her daughters face for her remaining lifetime. If there is such a thing as a haunting, I hope she gets it. Not only for the death of her child but for the manner in which she behaved as what was supposed to be a mother. God gives them to us to take care of, he also takes them away when he knows they are not cared for. At least one comfort is that she is now in His hands and will suffer no more on this earth. As far as Casey goes, she deserves the most strict sentence available, would not do for me to sit on that jury!

Typistgal November 25, 2008, 8:44 PM

The child in the photo is most definitely not Caylee Marie as Caylee is deceased. The child in the photo has curls whereas Caylee does, or rather, did not. How utterly ridiculous for the Anthony’s to think this child even remotely resembles Caylee. Although it has been said/asked far too many times already, it bears repeating: WHY WOULD ANYONE WHO KIDNAPPED A CHILD TAKE THEM INTO A PUBLIC PLACE? Get real! Stop grasping at strays Cindy and George!

Hannah Rubenstein November 25, 2008, 8:48 PM

You call the name of your blog what? Mom logic?
What kind of illogical idiocy is this column? To perpetuate Cindy Anthony’s transparent attempt to
save her daughter by attempting to plant doubt
where none can be planted is really boring at this point, really annoying. Ugh.

Sally November 25, 2008, 8:58 PM

These sightings are absolutely ridiculous. All three year old girls resemble each other. I’ve seen little girls who resemble Caylee everywhere I go. I’ve also seen 22 year old girls who look just like Casey and 50 year old women who resemble Cindy. I live across the country from the Anthonys so I know it is not any of them. The police are right. It is a waste of time and a violation of the public’s rights to take pictures of other people’s toddler and make them prove that is their child when we all know Caylee has been dead since June 16. The police knew July 15 when the homicide detective, George and Cindy Anthony, tow truck driver and cadaver dog all smelled a dead body in the trunk of Casey’s car. Air tests and DNA evidence confirmed it. These so called sightings are just a diversion tactic by the Anthonys. Cindy Anthony is guilty of obstruction of justice and trying to taint the jury pool with reasonable doubt.

Karen November 25, 2008, 9:12 PM

O.K. let me think about this - Jacksonville is in Florida. Little Caylee went missing in Orlando, Florida. Probably everyone in the entire State of Florida have heard of this case and almost everyone else in a lot of other Countries have heard of the case and are following it too. So then please explain why it is that this little girl in the photo is enjoying herself so at a Mall in Jacksonville without anyone sitting around there even noticing that it might be her and then at least one of those same people actually doing something to SAVE her. It can’t be said that with LE ceasing to follow-up on any more leads/tips of little Caylee sightings because their evidence proves she is deceased is the reason why not one of these people thought it wise to confirm the little girl’s true identity - even I who have from 15th July 2008 had the gut feeling that little Caylee was deceased am still holding out hope that maybe just maybe she will be found and even I still look once, twice, even three times at little girls I see with dark hair to make sure it is not little Caylee - so for that about LE to be used as the reason why little Caylee will never be found and to blame them if something horrible happens to her if she is still alive is just Cindy grasping at straws and wanting to blame everyone else for this tragic ordeal besides the one(s) who truly are to be blamed —i.e. the occupants of 4937 Hopespring Drive, Orlando, Florida, USA.

kris November 25, 2008, 9:25 PM

do you really think a kidnapper would have her out in public in Florida!!!!!!!! come on! and with the same color of hair- you can tell that is not her- and the anthonys lieng to the FBI! sad sad sad
they know she is not alive waisting peoples lives that believe them for some reason.

Dawn November 25, 2008, 9:56 PM

That little girl has dimples Caylee doesnt have dimples.All they have to do is blow the picture up its clearly not Caylee and the A’s know that!

Bonbon November 25, 2008, 9:59 PM

Does anyone else think the OTHER little girl in the picture looks like she could be the big sister of this girl in question????

I can’t tell you how many little girls that I have seen where I live that could pass for Caylee.

Kelli November 25, 2008, 10:37 PM

I have to agree with most others posting here. If one were to kidnap a child, I don’t think for one minute they would take the child to a MALL!

Also, I have a two year old daughter that resembles Caylee. I dont think they are going to investigate every brown haired brown eyed 3 year old in the country!

I too believe they are no longer following up on these leads because the evidence found in the car speaks for itself. People lie, forensic science doesn’t!

Kelli November 25, 2008, 10:41 PM

Oh and another thing….I think I understand where the grandparents are coming from. If I were in their situation, I would not want to believe my grandaughter, who I helped to raise, was murdered. Let alone murdered by her own mother, and my child. It’s a tough reality to face and I believe they are grasping at anything that brings them hope of finding Caylee alive. I think they believe the evidence shows she is dead, but they have just not come to terms with that yet.

The Haimster November 25, 2008, 10:43 PM

It’s not her.

The Anthony family knows it’s not her. This is another attempt to throw sand into the gears of justice.

Pathetic, as usual.

Sandy November 25, 2008, 11:26 PM

I think the little girl looks like Caylee. Cell phones do not take great pictures. And, Casey has every characteristic of a drug addict. She steals and lies. I think she got herself messed up with the wrong people. She was trying to pay back what she owed for drugs. Then the drug dealers said enough and took Caylee to get even. I only hope they are being good to her. The girl in the picture is happy. Just because people do drugs, does not mean they would hurt a child.

U_Cant_B_Serious! November 25, 2008, 11:30 PM

Y-A-A-A-W-N!

1)Someone snaps a cell phone photo of this girl and just happens to ONLY send it to the “private investigator” working for the Anthony’s? Not to law enforcement…not to any of the tabloids for a few $$$…not to CNN, ABC, NBC, or CBS news with the scoop-of-the-century…but to the Anthony’s “private investigator”

2)The “private investigator” won’t provide details about when or where it was taken or who provided it — not even to law enforcement.

3)The “private investigator” does absolutely NOTHING with this “incredible tip”, like maybe immediately blanketing the area with people on the street, asking news outlets to help find out who the girl is or who she was with.

4)George and Cindy display very little emotion about this bombshell discovery. Just matter-of-fact.

Sorry…George and Cindy, YOU are the fools. Not the rest of us.

This stinks more than the trunk of Casey’s car!

Thousand bucks says the true details will show that this little girl photo is one big phony set up….with the “private investigator” involved. Gotta have an angle for the future book, right Dominic?!?! Disgusting!!!

karilynn November 25, 2008, 11:37 PM

This child is not Caylee. Caylee’s ear lobes are lined up with her lowerlip. The photo of the child in the mall: her earlobes are above her mouth……it’s that simple. Earlobes don’t lie.

Sally November 25, 2008, 11:41 PM

Sandy, the picture looks nothing like Caylee. There is no evidence Casey was a drug addict or that Caylee was kidnapped by drug dealers. There is evidence Caylee is dead and her body was decomposing in her mother’s car trunk for days before she disposed of the body. These sightings are all orchestrated by the Anthonys to get a jury to acquit Casey for murder by reasonable doubt that Caylee is dead.

Anonymous November 25, 2008, 11:41 PM

Look at the girl in the background in the stripped shirt. That could be Caylee also!!! What a bunch of $#!#!

mo November 25, 2008, 11:48 PM

What I want to know is if the idiot who took the picture really thought it was her, why didn’t they hang around to see who she was with??? For God’s sake, if I thought I saw Caylee, I would call 911, I would hang around to hear what name they called her, I would see who she was with, I would do a hundred things, not just send a cellphone pic and go on with my day. Idiot.

Sandy November 26, 2008, 12:05 AM

Sally
I have followed this story from the beginning. I will only have positive thoughts until a body is found or Caylee is found “alive”. My daughter is 21 and her daughter is 2, they both live with us. I am the major caretaker because my daughter attends college. As long as she does “what she is suppose to do”, we will help her in everyway we can. I can relate to this case because of the similar situation.
I feel very sorry for Cindy and George. My hear goes out to them. Our granddaughter, Madi, is the love of our life. My daughter has turned out to be a good mother. She consults us if she has questions. Again, I will remain positive until the end. Hope you can understand where I am coming from.

Sandy November 26, 2008, 12:10 AM

I am from St. Louis, Mo. Sean Hornbeck was found alive. This is why I still have hope for Caylee.

JoAnn November 26, 2008, 12:13 AM

To the Haimster: BINGO! You got it right! They are trying to throw reasonable doubt in the jury’s face to get that psycho off. Well, what are they going to do with killer if she gets out, encourage her to have another kid to replace Caylee? They are a sick, sick bunch.