Casey Anthony's Mom: "Jesus Christ, What Died?"

Could Caylee Anthony's grandparents have confused the smell of human remains with something else?

casey anthony

According to documents released yesterday, Casey Anthony's father George admitted "I had bad vibes the very first day when I got that car." He's referring to picking up his daughter's Pontiac after granddaughter Caylee's disappearance.

And, of course, there was that smell. Anthony's wife Cindy was immediately struck by the stench. "After," he says, "we pulled inside the garage. Her exact words were, 'Jesus Christ what died?'" George told police.

Anthony, a former investigator himself, admitted he was concerned about an odor emanating from the trunk of Casey's car and told detectives he was familiar with the smell of death.

"I've been around that stuff, I mean the law enforcement stuff. We caught people out in the woods, out in a house in a car. So I know what it smells like. It's a smell that you never ... get rid of. When I first went there to pick up that vehicle, I got within three feet of it I could smell something." Back in August Cindy made a reference to a rotting pizza that had allegedly caused the foul odor in the trunk. At one point -- the transcripts say -- both the Anthonys tried to convince themselves the smell had come from a pizza in the trunk.

"I've never smelled pizza that smelled like a decaying body," Los Angeles Deputy Medical Examiner Dr. Paul Gliniecki told momlogic. "The smell of decomposing flesh is so distinctive that there is nothing in nature that even comes close to mirroring the scent, not even the smell of a sewer." Anthony's assessment of the smell is probably accurate, says Dr. Gliniecki. "It's not a smell you encounter very often. George Anthony, in all probability, did smell a decomposing body."

Yet, according to the transcripts Anthony -- at least back in July -- still had hope his granddaughter was alive. "I don't want to believe that I have, have raised someone, and brought someone in this world that could do something to another person. I don't want to believe that."

Meanwhile, this weekend, in what's expected to be the largest search in U.S. history, 4,000 volunteers will descend on the Orlando area searching for Caylee, who is believed by most to be dead.

Caylee's mother, Casey Anthony, remains jailed on first-degree murder charges in connection with her daughter's disappearance.

Read selected taped transcripts from George Anthony's July 24, 2008 interview:

22_thumb.jpg 23_thumb.jpg 24_thumb.jpg 25_thumb.jpg

next: Politics Have Gone to the Dogs
Anonymous November 7, 2008, 6:49 PM

I can’t believe this! How sick!

Anonymous November 7, 2008, 7:11 PM

It sounds to me like George already knows the truth. How Cindy and him can keep saying they think Caylee is alive is BS

emma November 7, 2008, 7:19 PM

cindy is now covering for casey, but george is trying to make sense of this. cindy is an accomplice at this point.

Alexandra November 7, 2008, 8:26 PM

Cindy’s probably in denial. George, at least, appears to be trying to come to terms with the fact his daughter might be a murderer.

karilynn November 7, 2008, 8:28 PM

I still say waterboard Casey………or give her some slaps to wake her up. It is utterly ridiculous at what is going on. Sicko Casey is feeling very powerful knowing thousands of people are searching for Caylee while she knows where the child’s remains are. It’s a power trip. But wait, watch how fast the game will end for her when she finally realizes that she will never see the day of light like she once knew. A lifetime in jail when you’re only 23 will not be fun.

So Sad November 7, 2008, 8:39 PM

The Parents are in Denial, who wants to believe there child is a Monster ?

mary November 7, 2008, 10:34 PM

How sad that the grandfather, George, knew the smell of decomposition, smelled the car, and yet STILL remained in denial and protective of Casey. I would like to think that my first steps (had it been me in that situation) would have been to sit Casey down and interrogate her until she cracked with the truth! How can George and Cindy remain in such denial? Amazing.

Cindy November 8, 2008, 2:49 PM

this whole story is so sad… what a tragic ending for such a beautiful little girl… casey is going to get what she deserves… this is just the beginig of her punishment….

Robin November 10, 2008, 3:45 PM

Whatever happened to logic, review of information, connect the dots,having been a law enforcement officer….our culture has been dealing with gray matter….whatever happened to absolutes of right and wrong. Beginning with Casey …. review how she was induced to tell finally where Caylee was/is…or not tell…how she tells it…is there evasion..why and how Casey reveals the nature of incidents and or individuals “she “claims are involved/not crediable ….was/has any truth been provided and what fractures are in any information.

Sally November 11, 2008, 5:54 PM

I don’t believe George and Cindy are in denial. I believe they know Caylee is dead and are just putting on a public front to taint the jury pool. Reasonable doubt that Caylee is dead could set their daughter free. They know they’ve lost their granddaughter and don’t want to lose their daughter. You can see it in their eyes and hear it in their voice. They are grieving the death of their granddaughter, not planning for her safe return. If George and Cindy believed Caylee was alive, they’d make a public appeal to the kidnappers, they’d be flying all over the country checking out leads, they’d be excited at a sighting and stay there until they could bring their granddaughter home. They know she’s dead.

lauren November 21, 2008, 6:20 PM

how cane someone do thet to caylee

ddarling November 28, 2008, 9:04 PM

That girl has been lying from the very beginning. Cindy needs to get the anger and hurt back that she had in the beginning toward Casey. Those people walk on eggshells around that girl. Why? are they afraid of her? Their knight in shining armor could be that daughter of theirs, Casey. But, I’ve got news for them, it isn’t going to be good if Casey tells them the truth. God help them.

Mark December 17, 2008, 1:27 AM

Unbeleivable that she has kept her story together this long. She should be interviewed until she breaks. How can there be any doubt?

Peggy Clarke December 18, 2008, 3:43 PM

I believe in my heart that Casey killed Caylee for some sick reason that we will never know and her parents are protecting her. She is a cold blooded killer. If she did not want her daughter they’re are adoption agencies who would place her with a loving family. Casey Anthony should burn in hell for eternity. I hope other inmates in prison torture the hell out of her.

valhallaarwen December 19, 2008, 10:38 AM

I know people dont’ want to hear this, but Casey should not have been a mother at all. She didn’t want to have the child (to be fair,she should have used birth control and therefore she wouldn’t have had the child), and wanted to do something about it. Her mother said no. Then she wanted to give the child away and her mother said no. I truly believe that the child would be alive if she had given the child away for adoption to her friend. I guess there is a belief that once a woman gives birth, magical mommy powers will set in. I doesn’t for some women.

TXMOM47 December 20, 2008, 8:00 PM

Just as Cindy and George covered up for their daughter all of her life, they will display the same behavior as Casey is tried for murder. After all, they will continue to do that whether the reason is denial (doubtful)or to maintain that usual outward facade to try to support Casey. Now it is out of their hands or power to play into the deception, they have probably forgiven her, as usual. They are all a family of morbid, mental anomalies. Please, Jury, don’t fall for those Famous Dream-teamers, i.e. to name a few: Henry Lee, Kobalinski, or even unfamous,Bozo-Baez,etc..They will be there only to confuse you! You may have no fame but do Follow your minds, intellect,and case details.(Pro prosecution has supplied expert,ME,Dr. Jan G) THINK,EVALUATE as you listen to logic/input from each other when you get the case. You are the most important to Caylee Marie for her getting justice than anyone else famous on that defense team! Dr. G is God-given. Be guided by your conscience,new enlightenment,brains,and calm to do God’s will. Precious baby is in Heaven. Her mother must pay with at least life in prison with no parole, ever! The defense team is no friend of Caylees!

Pissed Off in VA December 20, 2008, 8:03 PM

Casey hated her mother, for making her keep Caylee and then for giving Caylee all the attention. This was serious payback. Casey wanted to hurt her mother. It was her mother’s fault that she lost her freedom! If Casey really wanted to have her freedom, she could have left Caylee, with her Mom and split. The selfish, spoiled, immature brat was gonna make her Mom pay. This was no accident, this was methodically planned. Casey planned this for months!!! Casey is not a mother. She is a jealous/shrude/manipulative little girl and Caylee was the competition! Serious psychotic individual!!!!

Richard P. December 22, 2008, 5:48 AM

After listening to, and reading Casey’s interview transcripts with police detectives. I am just sickened by Casey Anthony. It is painfully obvious that Casey is an utterly guiltless monster. If ever you see Casey cry, rest assured that she was not moved to tears from guilt of her actions. She only mourns the loss of her freedom and that her façade has fallen. Casey is a true psychopath, who knew exactly what she was going to do before she did it. Although I would never blame her parents for her actions, I do believe that Casey’s upbringing led her to believe that she could get away with anything, and that she could lie her way out of any problem she encountered. The news media likes to portray Casey as a sly, intelligent individual. Not true Listen to her interviews on MSMBC.Com and it will become apparent that she acts just like a spoiled little brat that takes NO responsibility for her actions. As a father myself I just can not fathom the evil it must take to kill your child, put on your party outfit on and go clubbing. Just sick. My little girls are so innocent and precious, she could have dropped that little girl off on my door step and my family would have taken her in. Imp sure that thousands of family’s would do the exact same thing.

nanceeee December 22, 2008, 3:20 PM

OMG I would absolutely not have a reason to live without my precious(grown) boy. It’s so difficult for normal folk to relate to the horror of (I think it’s called matricide?) But’ it must be awful for her parents to not only cope with the grief of the loss of their grandchild, but that it’s possible that their daughter did it! I hope this family recovers, I doubt there could be few things more painful than what they are going through now!

Barbara December 30, 2008, 2:16 PM

As an avid Nancy Grace viewer, I’ve looked at the flat affect on Casey Anthony’s face and become convinced that she is in fact a true sociopath/psychopath and has come to fully believe her own web of lies. She will absolutley never confess to wrongdoing even if it keeps the death penalty off the table if reinstated. She has the coldest, darkest set of eyes on any human being I’ve ever seen. I didn’t think Charles Manson’s cold, dark, death stare could ever be duplicated, but, believe me, it’s been done.

Barbara