Casey Anthony's Shocking Revelation

Why is Casey's defense team changing its story?

casey anthony

Despite claims as recent as Wednesday that missing toddler Caylee Anthony is still alive, mom and accused killer Casey Anthony's defense team now has a new story.

In a 30-page document sent to prosecutors, her lawyers argue that if Caylee is dead, "it was almost certainly a tragic accident." The documents state Caylee could've been poisoned by chloroform or she could have died while she was sedated. Their bottom line: The cause of death may have been an unwitting overdose of a sedative.

Huh?

The documents describe Casey as confused, possibly even depressed. They say Casey's behavior had been erratic ever since Caylee's birth and especially in the months before the little girl vanished. Also that Casey's lack of emotion after Caylee's disappearance is proof that Casey is not normal and could be suffering from mental or emotional stress.

Why the new story? Reports say Casey is trying to avoid the death penalty.

• The defense says the death penalty is not an appropriate sentence in Casey's case because she is a young mom and has never had a criminal record. However, the documents never mention that a babysitter had kidnapped Caylee, the story Casey has used -- until now.

Even more shocking: In an attempt to evoke sympathy for Casey, her lawyers plan to show the jury photos of her as a baby. The photographs show Casey, 22, as an infant, playing with her brother Lee, and surrounded by family members.

Tell us -- is Casey Anthony mentally ill? Should she be spared the death penalty? Comment in the momlogic community.

next: Obama Victory Celebration Squashed By Bigotry
mommy November 6, 2008, 8:34 PM

and whats up w, those buttons saying team caylee what kind of game is this

mommy November 6, 2008, 8:43 PM

death penaltl yes they should

Colorado November 6, 2008, 8:51 PM

I hope the judge will give her the same treatment she gave her daughter.

Mrs. R. November 6, 2008, 10:46 PM

She is young…
WHAT?
That’s a plausible defense for KILLING YOUR CHILD?!?!?!?!

What is wrong with our society that we have allowed people in their 20’s to be given ZERO accountability for their actions.

This woman plotted, killed, then disposed of the body of her daughter. Her own child. The lawyers are spinning as best they can.

Sure, any ‘sane’ woman would not harm her child - If you follow the argument that Casey isn’t sane… she STILL absolutely KNEW what she was doing. Being ‘clinically’ depressed and being without conscious understanding of right and wrong are two different things.

She googled chloroform recipes. She borrowed other people’s cars. She enlisted the help of others. She borrrowed shovels from neighbors so her own wouldn’t be tainted. She traveled far from her home so the body wouldn’t be found.

These are not the actions of an ‘insane’ person. These are the actions of a cold blooded sociopath.

Sprout November 7, 2008, 1:30 AM

This woman has a long history of lying and getting away with it. I would be disgusted if they slap her wrists and let her off. They need to prohibit her from having anymore children. The laws need to change.

Jill from Western Australia November 7, 2008, 2:51 AM

Typical!!! If all else fails plead mental stress/insanity…what a load of codswallop!!! Casey manipulated everyone that she came in contact with - stole money - lied - cheated & mistreated Caylee…WHY???…because the ONLY person that she cares about is HERSELF!!!

Why should Casey receive money to buy from the Commisary???{She never gave Caylee this opportunity!} POX ON ANYONE WHO SENDS HER MONEY…SEND IT TO EQUUSEARCH who CARE ABOUT CAYLEE…I am disgusted with the entire Anthony family & will boycott any book/movie deal that brings them any form of wealth!

angie November 7, 2008, 8:56 AM

I was a mom younger than Casey and a single mom also and the thought to kill my children never crossed my mind! I hate how the justice system will use insanity to get someone off of a crime. We all know what we are doing at every second and know right from wrong. Period!!! There is something seriously wrong with Casey… she should have given her daughter up for adoption. She wasn’t ready; she wanted to party and hang out still.
I was also adopted so when I hear stories like this, it disgusts me! There are too many people out there who can’t have children, to take one away from God is incredulous!

Prelle November 7, 2008, 9:08 AM

Honestly I hope that she is “spared” from the death penalty but only because i think that would be an easy way out for her. I want her to have to live with what she did for the rest of her life. I do not know how she could hurt her baby. My son is caylee’s age and i could not deal with myself if something happened to him because of me. I hope that she gets life in prison and is put in with the general population there. Those women will eat her alive for what she has done.

MaryBlue November 7, 2008, 9:09 AM

007—I too was a 19 yr. old mother with a whole lot of stressful issues to deal with. I was also diagnosed with Posrpartum depression on top of all the other issues that I dealt with. At no time did I ever entertain the idea of “sedating” my child with any drug!! Grandma also stepped in and helped me as Cindy Anthony has done with Casey, so she can’t even cop that excuse!! Face it girl, Casey is a self-centered, very manipulative sociopath! If Casey had a concience, which she obviously does not, life imprisonment would be the answer, but since her evil deed wouldn’t haunt her thoughts daily, imo, she should get the death penalty. I also agree with justmyrinda—she does give the true mentally ill people a bad name!!!!!

mtsteed November 7, 2008, 9:18 AM

I sincerely hope she does get the detah penalty. But at the end of the day it won’t matter…as soon as she steps foot in prison, she’s fair game for those inmates who don’t appreciate baby-killers. She’ll get hers one way or another.

amber November 7, 2008, 9:27 AM

I am sorry but this whole situation makes me sick, I couldn’t imagine killing my little boy just because I wanted to go out. That is the most immature thing I have ever heard. If Casey didn’t want to deal with Caylee, she should have took her to an adoption agency. There are other ways to get rid of your child then to kill her. Maybe she should have thought about how having a baby, at any age, will affect a persons social life. You do the crime, you do the time!!!

Jen November 7, 2008, 9:43 AM

Does anyone care where that poor baby is? I could care less about Casey. She’ll get what she deserves.

Some one November 7, 2008, 10:44 AM

I think u all need 2 grow up a little bit i mean cmon ppl typing on this isent going to get u noticed

ftknows November 7, 2008, 12:10 PM

Cindy & George need to be hooked up to a lie detector NOW. especially Cindy. They are ridiculous. Listen closely everytime Cindy speaks, she creates a story that she wants everyone to believe. Her daughter does the same, apple doesnt fall far from the tree. And George is knows the deal, yet he doesnt speak up. Im guessing Cindy has one thing in her purse, George’s ba&(s!
This family should be put on an electric bench.

Kirstie November 7, 2008, 1:38 PM

As disgusting and abhorrent the idea of anyone, ESPECIALLY a woman who claims to be a bother, killing an innocent child is - I would still never push for the death penalty, for anyone.
She deserves to rot in prison - a high security prison, with no privileges and no luxuries - for the rest of her natural life. She’s only 22 - 50 or 60 more years in a tiny room, with little to do but think about the terrible crime she’s committed and the life she has lost as a result of her actions, is a fitting punishment for her crime, if you ask me. Her death might be gratifying to some, but it’s easier for her to endure a painless death and nothingness then it is to have to deal with what she’s done and what she’s lost for a lifetime.
Casey will be judged by a higher power when her time on this earth ends - but it’s not in the hands of any human to make that decision, when her life should end.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - let her suffer mentally in a cell, let her rot and regret what she’s done. She can’t realize what she’s done and feel remorse for the disgusting thing she’s done if she’s dead and gone.

Kirstie November 7, 2008, 1:43 PM

Ugh, typos - while Casey’s clearly a bother, I meant to say she claims to be a mother. Sorry!

Jane November 7, 2008, 2:18 PM

It’s tragic how often the “mentally ill” scenario is used by both criminals as well as their defense teams. Please pardon her due to her mental incapacities, what about Caylee, where’s her pardon in all of this???

Casey was both emotionally and mentally stable enough to find her way to the bar and her many boyfriends, however, conveniently lacked the emotional and mental stability to find her daughter, nor aide in the investigation. I suppose there’s an on and off switch for her tempermental mental state??

A mother who kills her child, or covers up an accident and simply disposes of the body, washes her hands clean, and goes on with her life without an ounce of compassion should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Cindy November 7, 2008, 2:32 PM

After “tragic” accidents, people are usually miserable and seek consolation from family and friends. If this was an accident, obviously it was a “party” accident, because apparently that’s what she did for the month until she got caught.

Karen November 7, 2008, 2:38 PM

Oh dear, this is horrible. That poor, poor baby. I do feel a little better that at least Casey didn’t beat her kid to death, that poor little Caylee probably at least didn’t suffer when she passed. But it’s still bringing me to tears just thinking about it.

The legal definition of insanity is very narrow and bears little relation to the therapeutic definition; that is, while Jeffrey Dahmer was clearly crazy by anyone’s definition, legally he was not. Where Casey’s mental state would come into play is during the sentencing, where the jury could take it into account as an ameliorating factor. However, if this is what really happened, murder (at least first degree) is probably off the table, and thus the death penalty; it requires intent. I think it’s second degree that involves willful disregard for the potentially fatal effects of one’s actions.

I do think it’s wrong of the lawyers to play upon people’s sexism by trying to portray Casey as a naive young mother. I’m not any wiser of a mother at 37 than my friend who had her kid at 20. Angela would never even think of drugging her child for her convenience.

Kathy November 7, 2008, 3:51 PM

Casey Anthony is cold, calculating and dangerous. She is nightmare crazy. There is no one in their right mind that could commit and cover up a crime as heinous as this. She must be kept from society for the remainder of her life.