Moms Say New Motrin Ad is Painful

"Baby-wearing" moms, offended by Motrin's web ad, call for a boycott.

An ad for Motrin pain reliever has really caused some headaches. The commercial, targeting moms who use baby slings and pouches to carry their babies, appears to insinuate those moms who 'baby-wear" are succumbing to a fad and do it only to be in "in fashion" -- this contributing to their shoulder and back pain. Guess where Motrin comes in!

Motrin, who uses the tagline is "We Feel Your Pain," was feeling some themselves when outraged moms began trading messages on the social messaging site Twitter -- and some even called for a boycott.

Wearing your baby does not hurt your back and shoulders if worn correctly!

Because I don't wear my baby I'm not an "official mom?"

I am shocked by the ad. Count me in on the boycott!

The company succumb to the pressure and has since issued an apology.

See for yourself. Should moms be carrying a grudge against Motrin?

next: Create Cash Flow from Home
Lela November 17, 2008, 4:53 PM

OMG!!! Someone clearly missed the mom focus group for this one.’Nough said.

hannah November 17, 2008, 5:52 PM

Holy sh*! !!
What were they thinking when they made that!?!?!
Good job Motrin. You just escorted your target audience across the streen to Tylenol.

tracy November 17, 2008, 7:40 PM

The ad copy sounds like it is a verbatim from a focus group. But this is the danger of focus groups. A gripe from one mom (or even one group) does not mean ALL moms feel this way. They clearly missed the mark on this one. As a baby-wearing mom, I cringed when I watched this. Mostly because they position baby wearing as a “fashion.” Moms around the world have been baby wearing for centuries.

Anonymous November 17, 2008, 9:27 PM

Holy cow! Just get over yourselves. I have no problem with someone carrying their baby anywhere on their body, but just because Motrin says it hurts, you are going to boycott them? Ridiculous!

Anonymous November 18, 2008, 12:41 AM

Wearing babies? How many can one mom wear in the first place?

Jordi November 18, 2008, 1:09 AM

Calm down and have a milkshake, everyone. Don’t be so bloody serious! I wear my four month old and I see nothing wrong with this. They are saying it’s in “fashion” because (tongue firmly in cheek) it is. You can’t tell me that there aren’t at least a few New-hip-moms! (RT) out there who had to try on the perfect cute sling in a mirror with a lot of different outfits to make sure they’d look good wearing their baby.

I’ll fess up and sign my real name and say that it can hurt after a while.

-Jordi, Mother to Evie.

k November 18, 2008, 3:03 AM

i’m more offended by how BAD it is…I mean, all the damn text, going left to right, up then down..ugh.

and motrin is just trying to capitalize on the ‘mom’ thing. lame…

Uly November 18, 2008, 12:55 PM

“Wearing babies? How many can one mom wear in the first place?”

At one time?

Five. But I don’t know *how*. The most I’ve managed is two, and that *did* hurt after a while!