Pointers on feeling lighter and leaner on Turkey Day, courtesy of Hungry Girl.
1. Eat breakfast and a protein-packed lunch before the big feast. If you starve yourself during the day, you could wind up SO crazy-famished by the time you sit down at the dinner table that you gobble up WAY too much food.
2. Go for lean, white meat turkey to get the most bang for your calorie-buck. Dark meat has about 15% more calories and 30 - 40% more fat than light meat. And ditch the skin while you're at it (that's where most of the fat hangs out!).
3. Drink plenty of H2O throughout the day and during the big meal. It'll keep you hydrated and clear-minded (so you'll be less likely to make bad food choices), and it'll help fill you up faster.
4. Treat yourself to small portions of the seasonal side dishes and desserts you've been craving all year long. If you deprive yourself, you could end up raiding the fridge in the middle of the night and going overboard!
5. Start with a salad and/or some soup. Then fill your plate mostly with healthy sides and lots of lean meat. Chances are you'll be pretty satisfied and full by the time dessert is served.
6. Bring along a tasty guilt-free dish, so you know you'll have at least one thing you can splurge on. And if you're not into baking, or just feeling lazy, toss together a fresh fruit salad (try drizzling it with some Torani Sugar Free Coconut Syrup).
7. Burn calories, not the turkey. Remember, the more calories you torch with activity, the more you can consume without gaining weight come Turkey Day. If you've got the day off from work, you really have no excuse to skip the exercise (okay, unless you're prepping dinner all day... then you have an excuse!). If you can't get in a full workout pre-festivities, make a point to take Fido on a fast-paced walk, take the stairs all day long (two at a time if you can take it!), and just try to be extra-active throughout the day. You could even organize a game of tag football with your family members (you know you've been looking for an excuse to tackle one of your irritating relatives!).
8. Wear your favorite form-fitting clothes and you'll be way less likely to overeat. No stretchy pants, people!!!