twitter facebook stumble upon rss

Girl Swallows Battery

sign up for the momlogic newsletter Tweet This

Check out the heart-breaking video.

A young Afghan girl seeks a life-saving operation after swallowing a AA battery.

Momlogic pediatrician Dr. Cara Natterson says, "This story is especially poignant because the 3-year-old it features lives in a country where she does not have access to the medical care she really needs. Ironically, though she lives in a country at war, her injury was one that could happen anywhere around the world: she swallowed a battery."

Dr. Cara says ingested batteries can be extremely dangerous for three different reasons:
• The battery itself can block the airway or the intestinal tract
• Batteries contain alkali, which can corrode tissues
• The voltage generated by the battery can cause a burn.

This story reminds us that common household items -- like batteries -- can pose very real risks. Remember to keep batteries out of the reach of young children. If you have an older child, remind him never to put a battery in his mouth."


next: Teen Dies Playing the Choking Game
Back to top >>
advertisement