"Jurassic Park" Author Michael Crichton Dead at 66

Best-selling author Michael Crichton died unexpectedly in Los Angeles after what his reps call a "courageous and private battle against cancer."

Crichton, best known for such books as "Jurassic Park" and "Disclosure," also created the hit TV series "ER."

His rep released the following statement: "While the world knew him as a great storyteller that challenged our preconceived notions about the world around us -- and entertained us all while doing so -- his wife Sherri, daughter Taylor, family and friends knew Michael Crichton as a devoted husband, loving father and generous friend who inspired each of us to strive to see the wonders of our world through new eyes. He did this with a wry sense of humor that those who were privileged to know him personally will never forget.

Through his books, Michael Crichton served as an inspiration to students of all ages, challenged scientists in many fields, and illuminated the mysteries of the world in a way we could all understand.

He will be profoundly missed by those whose lives he touched, but he leaves behind the greatest gifts of a thirst for knowledge, the desire to understand, and the wisdom to use our minds to better our world.

Michael's family respectfully asks for privacy during this difficult time.

A private funeral service is expected, but no further details will be released to the public."

John Wells, Executive Producer of "ER" said, "Michael was an extraordinary man. Brilliant, funny, erudite, gracious, exceptionally inquisitive and always thoughtful. No lunch with Michael lasted less than three hours and no subject was too prosaic or obscure to attract his interest. Sexual politics, medical and scientific ethics, anthropology, archeology, economics, astronomy, astrology, quantum physics, and molecular biology were all regular topics of conversation. I was blessed to have known him and proud to be able to have called him my friend."

next: Waking Up to History
C-Girl November 5, 2008, 1:00 PM

This is quite a shock. He was a great writer. What a tragic event after such a prolific day in our history.. Its a shame. RIP Michael, you will be missed!

Matt Paden November 5, 2008, 1:06 PM

Hi Matt,
I am so sorry to tell you that Michael Crichton died today. It was unexpected. He was such a wonderful writer.

Matthew Clement November 5, 2008, 1:11 PM

God speed, sweet prince….

john Berk November 5, 2008, 5:16 PM

Go to his website and read his essays…a BRILLIANT man, I will miss his work !

Ken Sinclair November 5, 2008, 5:49 PM

He wil be sorely missed he was one of the greatest writers of all time. I loved his books and the work he did on ER.

Colin T November 5, 2008, 6:00 PM

This is truly a tragic loss to world of words. He was one the worlds biggest drug pusher. His books are so addictive, you can’t put them down. When you’re finished with one book, you need another “fix”. His talents will be missed.

Dawn B November 5, 2008, 6:04 PM

I can hardly believe it. He’ll be missed.

Randy November 5, 2008, 6:05 PM

I know I shouldn’t make comparisons but he was the Jules Verne/H.G. Wells of our times.

Prolific, intelligent, and forward looking with his work. In fact, vs Verne/Wells, we might actually be able achieve all the genetic, nanotech, and even spatial travel ideas that he wrote about w/o waiting another century.

NR November 5, 2008, 6:17 PM

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Arleen November 5, 2008, 6:22 PM

I can’t believe I’ll have no more of his wonderful storytelling to look forward to. Jurassic Park and Timeline put my imagination into high gear.

Bill November 5, 2008, 6:40 PM

Crichton’s “Timeline” was derided by many as faux science. I wholly disagree, quantum teleportation is real

and at first, it’ll lead to perhaps hi-powered computing applications (think encryption a/o geothermal exploration) and then as time goes on, a whole lot more. Crichton, unlike his naysayers, could see that far ahead. I agree, in fifty of so years, many of Crichton’s predictions will come true.

Anonymous November 5, 2008, 7:57 PM

When my mom told me I was so shocked that half the people on the train I was on looked at me funny. I didn’t care though! It just seemed so sudden for him to die like that! I just finished reading 4 of his books already and I loved the Jurassic Park series since I was about 9!
He will be missed..I just gained a favorite author and lost one all in a few months…

Bill November 5, 2008, 8:59 PM

HE WAS A PROPHET

John R November 5, 2008, 9:36 PM

I am saddened that a wonderful story writer has passed. The world will miss this one man, but thankfully his stories are still with us. I strongly recommend that if you have never read one of his books that you check one out from the local library and do so. My prays & blessings to his family members who are grieving. Please know he touched so many lives, and made this world a better place to be in with his works.

Anonymous November 6, 2008, 12:09 AM

Tragic that he died so young and so suddenly. I enjoyed his work. That’s impressive that he could keep his fight with cancer out of the public eye. Heartfelt sympathies to his family.

Larry P November 6, 2008, 12:22 AM

A brilliant and insightful storyteller. His genius will be sorely missed.

PeThomps November 6, 2008, 12:27 AM

So sorry the world lost you Michael. I am especially sad for your family. Their loss is so great and felt by all. My thoughts and prayers are with them.
I loved his books and have read all of them. He made everything seem so real and reasonable. The first book I read was “Jurassic Park” and I was hooked.
I agree with NR.

Peyton November 6, 2008, 12:32 AM

I am devestated… Last year i went on a craze and read about 10 of his books within 2 months… He truly was an amazing author. His work was ridiculously mind opening and he knew exactly what he was talking about. Definately is and will be one of my favorite contemporary authors.

Golf Clubs September 14, 2010, 10:36 AM

In related news, Gatorade recently terminated its sponsorship agreement with Tiger Woods along with dropping the saying, “Is it in you?” Nike will keep Tiger as a spokesman and continue with the slogan, “Just do it.”

cityvville February 13, 2011, 3:31 AM

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!