The First Daughters' School Costs HOW Much?

The First Lady-elect is scouting out private schools where 10-year-old Malia and seven-year-old Sasha may attend. This morning she toured the White House with her husband and President and Mrs. Bush. Here are the potential pre-K thru 12 schools that the fifth grader and second grader could attend, according to the Washington Post.

Sidwell Friends School
  • The Quaker School is where Chelsea Clinton attended while her father President Bill Clinton was in office.
  • It has a 15-acre campus and close 1100 kids are enrolled for the 2008-2009 school year.
  • It's philosophy reads " Sidwell Friends School is an educational community inspired by the values of the Religious Society of Friends and guided by the Quaker belief in 'That of God' in each person. We seek academically talented students of diverse cultural, racial, religious and economic backgrounds."
  • Tutions are $28,442 (pre-k to 4th grade) and $29,442 (grades 5 - 12).
Georgetown Day School:
  • This school is located on two separate five acre campuses.
  • Its mission statement is "Georgetown Day School honors the integrity and worth of each individual within a diverse school community. GDS is dedicated to providing a supportive educational atmosphere in which teachers challenge the intellectual, creative, and physical abilities of our students and foster strength of character and concern for others."
  • Tuition is $27,445 for grades 1 - 5.
Maret School:
  • Its mission statement reads "Maret School galvanizes the intellectual, analytical, creative, and physical capabilities of our students and equips them to excel in future academic endeavors. We join with our parents to instill in each student the self-reliance and moral awareness to develop healthy personal relationships, work through challenges, and enjoy life. In a community that embraces different cultures, interests, perspectives, and talents, we prepare our students to become responsible, thoughtful, and well-informed adults who are able to play an active role in improving the world."
  • The cost is $24,695 for K - 4 and $26,780 for grades 5-8.
  • Is average class size is 12 - 14 students and they have a 6:1 student teacher ratio.

next: You'll Put Your Eye Out With That!
Oceans November 11, 2008, 12:19 AM

Where they in Private school before their dad became president. Did Bush turn down his $400,000 salary or his $50,000 expense account or better yet his $19,000 entertainment account or last but certainly not least his $100,000 for travel expenses./
but President Bush threw his GROWN daughter a wedding who paid for that I bet no one cares. We know that because he’s black he will be judged for that alone. But folks aside from his blackness Bush exits on 1-19-09 how much money do you think his palm greasing monkey self is taking better Your economy is in the toliet folks get a new subject!!!

Doc November 11, 2008, 12:35 AM

Michelle thinks she is Jackie O. The “style setter” and of course, her children, must have the best of everything, regardless. Am I jealous? No, but I had to work and pay for my education. Perhaps the girls could qualify for scholarships and student loans through affirmative action like Barack and Michelle? It would be so funny if none of the private schools would accept them. LOL Sorry, but Barack and Michelle’s egos and superior, self-indulgent attitudes really bother me. They don’t know the meaning of the word “humility.” Sarah Palin does.

Michelle November 11, 2008, 1:31 AM

The decision to send the girls to private school is that of the Obamas to make, ust like what kind of dog to get. Everyone says that Amy Carter went to public school, but what everyone forgets is that Amy Carter was not allowed to go outside for recess or gym because her security would be comprimised. Granted, these two young girls do not look like it is in their genes to have a weight problem and their bodies wouldn’t be affected by not having that time to play, but why should they have that fun time taken from them? If the Obamas want to spend upwards of $50,000.00 on school for the girls and want to get a dog from a reputable breeder, then who are we to say anything? And just to be honest here, if the parochial school that we are parish members of was bigger and there were more options for my children there, they would go there, only out of my personal preference. Our public schools where my children go now are excellent, but I would prefer my kids to have a Catholic education.

Deela November 11, 2008, 1:33 AM

When I was so poor and could not get child support from my child’s dad…he was a slick attorney that knew how to work it, I went withut so that I could put my duaghter in a private school that was quite costly. It was a good sacrifice and worth it.
I never got a kudo or a tax write off from the government.
My duahger is not pursuing a career in the military while obtaining her degree; has bought a brand new home home in Hawaii and own two cars and a harley, paid for.
It’s priorities…and sacrifices. Some parents have to make them; some don’t.

drea November 11, 2008, 2:37 AM

In a world such as the one we live in , and the times that we live in…why would the future President Of The Unites States consider anything but the best for his two precious little ones!The Obama’s have made history and much to the joys of most, there are still those who are not happy about the recent turn of events….. Long gone are the days of Carter and whomever else did not send their kids to private school…we are living in a modern era, where the possibility and the probability of someone threatning his life and that of his family is a major concern…. Least we forget the Obama’s did not just happen to fall into this presidency and now have money…(Both Michelle and Barack are Ivy League Graduates)…they have been well established, and will continue to be….Malia and Sacha now attend a private school in Chicago, so why now (being the president daughters )would that change….When you know better you do better….If you are fortunate enough to afford private school, then why would you even consider other!!!!There are numerous amounts of dignataries that call the nation’s capital home, and trust me their kids get nothing but the best ….so why should Sacha and Malia be any different!!!!

Melissa November 11, 2008, 2:39 AM

First off they go to a private school now, before he ever got elected…secondly set the education part aside…safety alone is a reason to have them there. People are already threatening him and his family…the girls shouldn’t go to school where they’re going to get hurt or worse just to make people “happy”…

Anonymous November 11, 2008, 2:54 AM

A sign of the times that we live in…..Our economy is in shambles, our young men are away in a senseless war, many are loosing their homes….all inpart due to the bad decisions that our current President has made…..and instead of focusing on that….a very small percentage of the country chooses to focus on what schools (public or private ) the Obama’s should send their girls too….are you kidding….you damn right thay should go to private;our country is in a state of endangerment from within as well as from the outside….and the Obama’s security should not be compromised by the bad decisions of our current president!The parents of those that are in public if they could do better, do you think they will hesitate even for a moment about the thought of going private…IF MONEY WAS NOT AN OPTION would you allow your kid(s)to go through the public school system as they are now (not what you remember they use to be)…????

drea November 11, 2008, 2:57 AM

A sign of the times that we live in…..Our economy is in shambles, our young men are away in a senseless war, many are loosing their homes….all inpart due to the bad decisions that our current President has made…..and instead of focusing on that….a minute percentage of the country chooses to focus on what schools (public or private ) the Obama’s should send their girls too….are you kidding….you damn right thay should go to private;our country is in a state of endangerment from within as well as from the outside….and the Obama’s security should not be compromised by the bad decisions of our current president!

sam November 11, 2008, 4:25 AM

those complaining need to get a life and get out of the stone age.

Brooke November 11, 2008, 8:21 AM

Why is it such a big deal where the children go to school in Washington, D.C, ? It does not matter what schools previous presidents’ children attended . People did to understand that Obama’s kids has attended private schools before their father even was elected Senator. So, common sense tells you if they were in private schools in the Southside of Chicago, they will be in private schools in D.C. Also, people need understand that these kids need safety first.

Kelly C  November 11, 2008, 9:01 AM

Come on people. Obama is not even in office yet so he cannot possibly be held responsible for the insufficient state of the public school system. Most normal parents want for their kids, at minimum, what they had growing up - most want better. Even if the Obamas did not go to private schools - if they are able to place their daughters in them why shouldn’t they? Even if it is at the tax payer’s expense - It is the tax payers that have elected a president with young children into office. I would rather help put his children through private school than pay for Bill Clinton’s $1200 haircuts or his legal fees for sex scandals or the wars that both President Bush dad and son started to prove they are BIG BOYS! As far as former President Jimmy Carter - that was 30 years ago - for those of you who went to public school-that is a long long time ago!!! The state of our public school system has deteriorated immensely since the 1970s. Not to mention the safety issues. I went to public schools and my daughter is in a public school. I worry every day for her safety - and we live in an affluent area. I don’t let her ride the bus and I take off work to go on every field trip. If I could afford security detail I would have it for her. If I lived in DC I would home school. I hand it to the Obamas for doing their best and wanting to give the best of the best to their kids. At least they are not sending them off to boarding schools. I agree with the comment that most of the stupid comments have got to be from those childless ones or the idiots that have put our public school system in the state that it is in by not letting people do their jobs AND by having a problem with everyone AND everything being done to make things better AND by standing in their way.

Melissa November 11, 2008, 9:12 AM

I have no issue with the daughters attending a private school….My own two boys have attended all of their lives, and I feel that they have received a far superior education than they would otherwise. My husband and I have good jobs, and between the 2 of us, make approximately what the president does. Unlike the pres, thought, we have to pay a mortgage, cars, and all of the bills as well as the tuition payments (also about the same as the listings), and when our taxes are raised because we have worked hard for what we make, we will be taxed as “rich”. I know it sounds like problems some wish they had, but once everybody’s hand is out for what I work for, that amount doesn’t go as far as it used to.

Kelly C  November 11, 2008, 9:13 AM

Oh Doc, you must be one of those idiots I was talking about. You might get into an IVY League college with a little affirmative action (you still have to be pretty SMART to even get considered) but you don’t graduate by affirmative action. You graduate by hard work and a very intelligent brain. You probably don’t understand what I am saying - maybe you can get a little boy or girl from the hood to explain it to you. You must have attended school side by side with the Obamas to know that they didn’t work hard or pay for their schooling. Which would mean that you would have attended an IVY League school - but with the ignorance of your statement that couldn’t be so.

Barb November 11, 2008, 9:16 AM

With all the racist crazies out there, I worry about the safety of the Obamas in general. Sending their young girls to private schools will help keep them safe. I just hope it’s enough—I’ve been horribly disappointed with the racist comments and actions since this election started.

I have no idea what past presidents have done as far as schooling their children, and I don’t know if the Obamas will use their own money or tax-payers money, but I support keeping that family safe!

Ronnie November 11, 2008, 9:19 AM

The girls were in private school long before most people knew who Senator Obama was. I remember when the Senator started to campaign for office and a psycho pedophile put up a website with his daughters pictures. I think the Obamas would be completely irresponsible not to put their children in a private and safe environment. Mr. Obama has four years to make his political case to the US and his girls should not have to be the poster children for public school. BTW…the idea that Michelle Obama wants to be Jackie O. is beyond ridiculous. It is a shame that some people cannot recognize “it” when they see it…it’s called “CLASS”!
It’s the thing that Sarah Palin is missing.

Ham November 11, 2008, 9:29 AM

The Obama children would never be treated normal at a public school with security always around. In a good private school it would be easier to keep them safe and not upset the school or other children. Anyone that can afford it would do the same. It does not mean that Obama will not try and help public schools come up to par.

Vonnie November 11, 2008, 9:43 AM

If Palin can’t have her wardrobe then by God, Michelle isn’t going to get her 50,000.00 a year scholarship for her girls either. She can home school them like I do. - Lynn

What kind of human being would compare a child’s (any child) safety, education or life in general to another person’s wardrobe? It is true – money is the root to all evil. You are demented. There’s a reason why students attends public school – maybe they have no other option, maybe their parents like the school system their child is in. There’s a reason why students are being home schooled – Someone has the luxury of (extra) time to speed on their child, maybe they don’t agree with how the schools in their area operate. There is a reason why students attend private schools – maybe it’s for safety, maybe it’s for the smaller class sizes. I could go on and on and compare why we might choose the school we choose. What ever the student(s) parent chooses it’s their choice. That is what’s so great about America; we have the right of CHOICE. It’s not about being a hypocrite; it’s about the safety and well being of this mother and father’s children. Everyone wants what is best for their child. I work in a school system and some people I work with send their children to different school systems, because that’s their choice. Are they hypocrites, maybe, maybe not. Can you blame them for wanting their child to have the “best” education they believe possible, NO. If it were me first family I would choose Marit School. Best of luck and God Bless you and your family Obama during your term in office. You need it to deal with people like this.
Vonnie

S321 November 11, 2008, 9:50 AM

I didnt vote for him, but he IS the President elect and putting his kids in public school (especially in DC) is way too dangerous. That being said, it IS hypocritical of liberals like Obama to block other parents to get their kids out of failing schools with vouchers. He also refuses to support keeping quality teachers and firing the rest. He, like all liberals, are in the back pockets of organized labor goons. And its likely he will follow their orders like the good little liberal he is…

sandra john November 11, 2008, 10:33 AM

I think the Obamas can send their girls anywhere they want. It is their choice. What I don”t like about mr. Obama”s agenda as our president is the “spreading of wealth”. I do not want my hard earned money being given to people who do not even pay taxes now. That is nothing but more welfaire, something we don”t need more of. Enough of wasteful spending !!!!!!@

ame i. November 11, 2008, 10:46 AM

Wow! The $600 a month I’m paying for my 5th grade daughter is really kicking me in the wallet.