The First Daughters' School Costs HOW Much?

The First Lady-elect is scouting out private schools where 10-year-old Malia and seven-year-old Sasha may attend. This morning she toured the White House with her husband and President and Mrs. Bush. Here are the potential pre-K thru 12 schools that the fifth grader and second grader could attend, according to the Washington Post.

Sidwell Friends School
  • The Quaker School is where Chelsea Clinton attended while her father President Bill Clinton was in office.
  • It has a 15-acre campus and close 1100 kids are enrolled for the 2008-2009 school year.
  • It's philosophy reads " Sidwell Friends School is an educational community inspired by the values of the Religious Society of Friends and guided by the Quaker belief in 'That of God' in each person. We seek academically talented students of diverse cultural, racial, religious and economic backgrounds."
  • Tutions are $28,442 (pre-k to 4th grade) and $29,442 (grades 5 - 12).
Georgetown Day School:
  • This school is located on two separate five acre campuses.
  • Its mission statement is "Georgetown Day School honors the integrity and worth of each individual within a diverse school community. GDS is dedicated to providing a supportive educational atmosphere in which teachers challenge the intellectual, creative, and physical abilities of our students and foster strength of character and concern for others."
  • Tuition is $27,445 for grades 1 - 5.
Maret School:
  • Its mission statement reads "Maret School galvanizes the intellectual, analytical, creative, and physical capabilities of our students and equips them to excel in future academic endeavors. We join with our parents to instill in each student the self-reliance and moral awareness to develop healthy personal relationships, work through challenges, and enjoy life. In a community that embraces different cultures, interests, perspectives, and talents, we prepare our students to become responsible, thoughtful, and well-informed adults who are able to play an active role in improving the world."
  • The cost is $24,695 for K - 4 and $26,780 for grades 5-8.
  • Is average class size is 12 - 14 students and they have a 6:1 student teacher ratio.

next: You'll Put Your Eye Out With That!
Monica November 14, 2008, 7:04 PM

IT IS NOT HYPOCRITICAL OF THE OBAMAS! I support Public Schooling and am staunchly opposed to our tax $ (or tax credits) being used for School Vouchers for Religious school or Private Schooling, with that said, our kids are not a social experiment and they are also not there to right the wrongs those who support vouchers in our legislature have done to our public schools. Our kids should not be the ones who have to sacrifice their chance at a great education so that we are not hypocrits and then dart them off to an inner city school to prove a point. what is the point, that the public school are substandard, we know this already and money needs to be poured in to these schools so that all kids, can all benefit not just those with vouchers lucky enough to get the hell out of dodge.

Nathan Kolodney November 16, 2008, 11:39 PM

These are just two little girls, not symbols. If their parents can afford it (and I think they can), they should go to the school that is best academically, creatively and in social order.

Here’s to the time when any public school offers such things. But, I’m afraid that the time isn’t now.

Nathan

Vicky November 20, 2008, 2:58 PM

WOW! And to think that just a few shirt weeks ago the Dummycraps were kvetching about the cost of Sarah Palin’s wardrobe! The Obamas are SO ‘in touch’ with the average American…..NOT!

Vicky November 20, 2008, 3:01 PM

The Dumbocrates were picking apart Sarah’s wardrobe expenditures just recently, so I can gripe about the Obama girls outrageous schooling costs! Hey, I have a right to free speech, too. By the way, Obama’s suits suree as hell don’t look like he bought them at Sears, either, for the record!

Vicky November 20, 2008, 3:08 PM

I could have told you wayyy before they even hit D.C. that there was no way they would send those girls to a public school. YA RIGHT OBAMA ya HYPOCRITE! I so see though you, but apparently about half of this country is either blind or stupid.

Vicky November 20, 2008, 3:10 PM

Hey Obama…..since our country is in such a mess, why not cut the salaries of the House, Senate, President and Congress by 60%? You all will still be earning more than about 98% of us, sans perks! Put your Socialist $$$ where your mouth is!

Becky Hatifeld November 22, 2008, 11:56 AM

This is crazy! 60,000 a year for 9 months of school for 2 girls! insane! Obama has and always will be a joke!

Michelle January 6, 2009, 9:27 PM

They have all the money in the world, a public school may not be safe, for them considering there dad is the president. If you do have the money(wich they do) they can. And a public school for them, well if i was married to the president i would put them in a top school.

rugbymom January 12, 2009, 12:31 PM

No, people who have comments about this probably are not childless, since this is momlogic, I am sure it is not a website prone to singles looking into a mother’s perspective. For the record it would make quite a statement for them to put their children in public schools. Maybe that would give them some incentive to invest their time in cleaning up something worthwhile. Our public education is as bad if not worse-off than our healthcare issues. Unforutnately it is not suprise the money they are spending on their kids, hell, they can just print it…or issue another tax credit, hey that’s it! Genius.

Disturbia January 20, 2009, 8:22 PM

Uhm…didn’t Chelsea Clinton and the Bush twins all go to public universities for college? I get it…parents want their kids safe at school. So then why not make school a safe place in the public school system? Just a thought~

Kimberly January 20, 2009, 8:45 PM

First, I’d like to say that I am very happy that Obama won, I have been an Obama supporter from the begnning, but I have to agree that Obama should not push public shcools on “middle income” families, his children have NEVER attended a public school. Wonder why?!They are horrible, that is why my husband and I work twice as hard to send our son to a private school, and we can only afford to raise one child properly, so we only have one child…quit being lazy baby making Americans! Take care of the children you make to the best of your ability, no one else will…

Georgia Girl January 20, 2009, 9:12 PM

Your comment Lynn about Palin and her wardrobe doesn’t even compare to the forum that we are discussing here. If that’s all you got, maybe you should be in school. Palin^*&….not on my tax dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brye January 20, 2009, 9:50 PM

As a high school student myself, if i were the presidents daughter you darn sure better believe it that i would want to be in a private school. I wouldnt want the attention of students and parents alike I wouldnt want any special treatment, I would just want to fit in. And for the oppertunity to receive that kind of education would be a dream for me(yes I attend a public school). So for the adults out there who are selfish, and obviously do not like Mr.Obama. Get over your selves, kids should come first when your a parent. It’s not allways me me me.
Sorry I began to rant.

Trill January 20, 2009, 9:56 PM

Would this be a question if Obama wasn’t president…or is this just away of being negative. Let’s not forget Obama and Michelle both were well off before we new of them!!

People always find aways of prying into others lives one way or another. You know the old saying…misery loves company. Why can’t the Obama family choose what they feel is best for there children? If you have kids… you would understand. Honestly I don’t think the focus should be on the decisions the Obama family make in regards to there family…from day one they have shown there decisions are wise. So let’s stop trying to critique the family and work together as a nation. Send prayers, show your support in a positive way. Obama has enough to deal with trying to rebuild this nation…and he can’t do this alone. I do believe that’s what’s important.

stacee January 21, 2009, 8:32 AM

Are you guys kidding me?..wow…the free
world!..hmm, I thought the beauty about america was one’s ability to choose..why would you want fight down a person for the school that he so chooses to send his children, no wonder why your kids are so messed up, you have adults critisizing them and the schools that their parents decides to send them. come on! give them a break, a chance to fix your country. He hasn’t failed yet. thank god I am not an american.

Lisa January 21, 2009, 9:31 AM

Paleeeeeze with the whining~~~what mother in her right mind with the money to send their kids to a great private school would opt to send their kids to a public slum school in DC-GET REAL!It would be irresponsible to send your kid to such a school in order to slum around with the uneeducated/underempolyed/working class masses to show how “black” or socially integrated you are. Paleeze! It’s the same reason I don’t hang out at divy bars in the hispanic side of town-THEY ARE NOT MY CROWD!

BJ January 21, 2009, 5:58 PM

A person has the right to send their child(ren) to any school they can afford to. I went to a public school, my children went to public school but you can bet your bottom dollar if I could have afforded it, my children would have been in private school. The District of Columbia has the worst public school overall ratings in the U.S. besides, some of these public school children are some of the most disrepsectful I’ve seen in my lifetime so far. Some of them are trouble makers in the school system as well.

Ro January 22, 2009, 3:09 AM

Carol,
Seems a bit ironic, seeing that Obama wants to “share the wealth”. Why can’t everyone choose the best schools for their child regardless whether they can afford it or not?

meme January 22, 2009, 9:32 PM

How come nobody was screaming bloody murder when Bush’s daughters went to private school? — Or Chelsey Clinton? All you bigoted republicans are just mad that’s all. Carter is the only president who ever had his daughter in public school, and it was a nightmare for her and everyone else. She was never allowed to go outside at recess because the teacher was afraid something would happen to her. How do you think a child would feel being separated from all the other children? You would not subject your child to that, and you know it! Private school is the best choice because they have the means to deal with children who need guarding. So get a grip, and stop your griping!

meme January 22, 2009, 9:51 PM

You just can’t stand to see a black child finally get to live a privileged life. You know darn well that if these girls were white, we would not be having this conversation. You need to look inside your heart and do some soul searching.