The First Daughters' School Costs HOW Much?

The First Lady-elect is scouting out private schools where 10-year-old Malia and seven-year-old Sasha may attend. This morning she toured the White House with her husband and President and Mrs. Bush. Here are the potential pre-K thru 12 schools that the fifth grader and second grader could attend, according to the Washington Post.

Sidwell Friends School
  • The Quaker School is where Chelsea Clinton attended while her father President Bill Clinton was in office.
  • It has a 15-acre campus and close 1100 kids are enrolled for the 2008-2009 school year.
  • It's philosophy reads " Sidwell Friends School is an educational community inspired by the values of the Religious Society of Friends and guided by the Quaker belief in 'That of God' in each person. We seek academically talented students of diverse cultural, racial, religious and economic backgrounds."
  • Tutions are $28,442 (pre-k to 4th grade) and $29,442 (grades 5 - 12).
Georgetown Day School:
  • This school is located on two separate five acre campuses.
  • Its mission statement is "Georgetown Day School honors the integrity and worth of each individual within a diverse school community. GDS is dedicated to providing a supportive educational atmosphere in which teachers challenge the intellectual, creative, and physical abilities of our students and foster strength of character and concern for others."
  • Tuition is $27,445 for grades 1 - 5.
Maret School:
  • Its mission statement reads "Maret School galvanizes the intellectual, analytical, creative, and physical capabilities of our students and equips them to excel in future academic endeavors. We join with our parents to instill in each student the self-reliance and moral awareness to develop healthy personal relationships, work through challenges, and enjoy life. In a community that embraces different cultures, interests, perspectives, and talents, we prepare our students to become responsible, thoughtful, and well-informed adults who are able to play an active role in improving the world."
  • The cost is $24,695 for K - 4 and $26,780 for grades 5-8.
  • Is average class size is 12 - 14 students and they have a 6:1 student teacher ratio.

next: You'll Put Your Eye Out With That!
twokids January 23, 2009, 8:03 PM

If parents are accustomed to sending their children to private schools because they can afford to do. I wish my parents were in a position to a school similar to Sidwell. In terms of security it is better for their children to go to this school. Chelsea Clinton and Al Gore’s son went to Sidwell. No one made a big deal about this from what I can remember. I think based on the president’s salary he and the first lady can more than afford this school. It is amazing how their kids going here is such a big deal! Just for the record George Stephanopolus’ daughter goes there as well.

Mary January 26, 2009, 12:51 PM

As an African American woman , I was raised in an “all white” “all girl” Catholic school. tuition was $10,000 a year. My parents worked at the Post Office i ordre to make sure my sister and I had a good education. My sister is a doctor and I chose to join the Marine Corp at the age of 17, and never looked back. I am now 31, still in the military, and have 2 children. I am currently deployed for the second time in Iraq and my kids are 6 and 4. My husband and I are separated and he is not someone that I can rely on to ensure the safety and well being of my children so instead I had to hire someone to take care of my children while i am deployed. I am not rich, however I pay 22,000 a year when I am deployed. For those that have something negative to say about how the Obama’s are spending THEIR MONEY or where they are sending THEIR CHILDREN to school, they should really put energy into things that concern them. That is like someone saying how dare you home school, how dare you send your child to a public school. Does this mean that you know your child is not good enough to be around children that either have money or an opportunity to go to a school that has a small ratio or that you dont care about the education and well being of your child? Probably not it is YOUR CHOICE OR RIGHT!!! No one says anything when the stars buy “thousand” dollar items for their newborns or toddlers like baby rattles or sunglasses! They can even talk or can barely speak but when you spend money on a childs education now it is a big deal? Get over it and move. I would do the same in a heart beat.

kathy January 27, 2009, 3:45 AM

I think people need to get off his back because he chooses private school over public. He will have his own income to do with as he pleases as said above. And, speaking from personal experience, my parents made sacrifices for us to attend St.Cecilia’s with no regrets and I am now doing the same for my child. The money will be well spent.

glenn January 28, 2009, 12:03 AM

Judy probably is a disciple of the Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levine school of political commentary. “Socialized” is the new buzz word of the right, a blatant attempt to paint the president with a brush that hints of communist and other horrific things. Let there be no doubt that the right resorts to fear tactics all the time, that is where they dwell.

Well, the good old American citizenry has called an end to all that gooblygook but the right refuses to think that the majority is right. They are dimissing the American citizens right to choose and think independently. That is what is so scary about them. If you disagree with their point of view, you are a socialist or worse. They are pitiful and scary.

Joann January 28, 2009, 7:35 PM

I believe that the Obama kids were in private school before their dad was elected president.

One of the good things about our country
is freedom of choice. The Obama’s have the right to choose the schools they can afford. So why should they consider
what any of us think?

Shut up! Please…..

anon February 6, 2009, 7:10 PM

I cant even believe this is an issue. No one complained when Chelsea Clinton was in private school, or any other child of a president. Okay, fine, Amy Carter went to public school. And, what….that was Carter’s choice. The Obama’s children were in private school in Chicago. They could afford it. They both achieved a high level of education which enabled them to get really good jobs. President Obama has written two best selling books. The Obamas already had money. They did it the right way. It’s no one’s business where they decide to send their children to get an education. No one asked Sarah Palin why WEREN’T HER CHILDREN IN SCHOOL during the campaign…

DebraBarlow32 May 22, 2010, 4:17 PM

Make your life more easy get the credit loans and everything you want.

Valerie23Matthews June 11, 2010, 1:14 AM

I would like to propose not to hold back until you earn enough money to buy different goods! You should just take the credit loans or auto loan and feel fine

Nike Dunk Low October 6, 2010, 11:33 PM

Your superior subject material are so terrific, and may perhaps we get hold of some adverts from you? In the event you transpire to concur, just emial me the advert kind and payment month-to-month. For individuals who person one more elevated high-quality linked blogs, selling adverts could be welcomed.

Pharmd260 April 6, 2011, 10:56 AM

Hello! kgdebkb interesting kgdebkb site!