Mom Loses 17 lbs in Two Weeks

If you really wanted to lose weight could you consume nothing but liquids for two weeks? Momlogic's Melissa did -- and she's never felt better!

rich woman with syrup water and lemons

Before you decide to try this trendy Hollywood diet, let Melissa give you some insight to the pros and cons of the Master Cleanse...

Diet Diary Day 1:
Weight: 155.5 lbs, Height 5'10"
Weight loss goal: 20 lbs
Celebrities that have used the Master Cleanse: Beyonce, Ashanti, Jared Leto and Robin Quivers.

Goodbye wine, goodbye cheese, and farewell bread ... Today is day one of the "Master Cleanse" (well, actually I started it yesterday and got to about 3 p.m. and then I decided that I should enjoy my Sunday -- meaning drinking wine and eating bread.) For those of you who aren't familiar with the cleanse, it lasts a minimum of ten days and consists of drinking only liquids. Here is what a normal day on the cleanse looks like:
* Wake up, drink 32 oz. water mixed with 2 tsps. salt (VOMIT!)
* 6 - 10 cups "lemonade" which is made of 2 tbs. fresh-squeezed lemon juice, 2 tbs. Grade B maple syrup, 1/10 tsp. Cayenne pepper
* 1 - 2 cups mint tea
* 1 cup laxative tea

Anyway, it's only 9:50 a.m. and I am having trouble writing this because I haven't had my normal two cups of coffee and I keep hitting the wrong keys on the keyboard. Other than that I don't feel any different ... YET!

I have done this diet before and I was successful -- I lost 17 lbs in 10 days ... I actually stopped doing it on day 10 because I felt like I was getting too thin -- but physically I felt great and could have gone for longer.

Diet Diary Day 3:
This is my third day on The Master Cleanse and I have to tell you, this is not a diet for the working woman. Let's face it, everyone calls it a cleanse, but the reason I, and others, embark on this torturous regime is to lose weight ... lots of it, and fast!

One reason this is a rich person's diet is because you're supposed to drink a 32 oz. (that's a quart folks) of salt water when you first wake up. Drinking the salt water is the colon "rinse" cycle of the diet and it is fouler than anything I have ever tasted in my life. It's not nasty because it's salty (I LOVE salt), it's nasty because it's mixed to be the same consistency of blood so that your body doesn't absorb it, it just passes it through.

This is not a diet for the faint of heart, but I am going to try and stick to it -- after all, losing 6 lbs in two days IS pretty good -- but I really believe that there should be a warning on The Master Cleanse that says, "Warning, this cleanse is for rich people ONLY!"

Diet Diary Week Two:
So today is my eighth day on The Master Cleanse and I have to tell you that I feel great -- so great in fact that I am considering extending my time on the cleanse to 15 (instead of 10) days! I know that coming from someone who called this diet/cleanse something for the wealthy, because of the somewhat impracticality of the regime, it must sound weird -- but I have to tell you that I feel better than I have in a long time and I have more energy than ever before. The losing nearly 12 lbs. doesn't hurt either. I have to admit that I did have two little slips BUT they did NOT involve food -- I am still completely food free. My little "slip" was with coffee. For some reason that is the only thing that I have craved on this cleanse, not wine, not cheese, but coffee -- go figure!

Well, it was Sunday and I couldn't resist and I had a coffee -- so sue me. I also had a coffee this morning -- but that's it for me, I'm done "cheating" and I'm going to be good from now to the end -- whenever that may be.

Diet Diary Week Three:
I did it! I actually did all 10 days of the Master Cleanse -- and I felt so good towards the end of it that I actually went another two days for a total of 12 days without a single morsel of food. When I started the cleanse, I was 155 lbs and hoped to lose 20 lbs. -- bringing me to 135 lbs. Sadly, I didn't quite reach my goal, but I did lose 17 lbs (bringing me to 138 lbs). I feel SOOOO much better; I also think I look better too. Now that I'm off the cleanse, I have to eat again -- so I have put myself on a strict diet and exercise regime, so I can lose the other 10 lbs that I still want to lose. My new diet consists of fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds and some protein -- with no dairy, carbs, or sugar. I am also going to work out AT LEAST five days a week. I'll let you know how that goes.

Closing Diary:
Although I did lose A LOT of weight quickly there were some drawbacks to being on this cleanse/diet.

# 1: I constantly felt like I was going to poop in my pants due to the fact that you have to drink laxative tea first thing in the morning and last thing at night. I managed not to, but I had to be very careful bending down for 12 days.

#2: I was a complete raving lunatic for the first seven days of the cleanse -- just ask my husband and co-workers. I don't think my husband has EVER called me a "bitch" as often as those first seven days on the cleanse -- and I hope he never has to again. To be honest, I deserved it and I really do feel bad. So, for all those who I was mean to, I apologize (but I'm sure you'll understand because it was all in the name of skinnyness.)

#3: The minute you start eating you immediately gain back (at least I gained back) 4 lbs. Although it's a bummer to see the scale creeping back up when all you're doing is drinking and pooping for 12 days, what else would you expect when you finally start eating food again?

I am still convinced that this is a diet for rich people but now I know that it CAN be done by the "average" person. Next time though, I'll stock up on adult Depends and I'll be sure to wear T-shirts that say "Don't talk to the Cleanser -- she bites."

next: Balthazar Getty and Sienna Miller Split Up
Lisa Survillas November 10, 2008, 2:46 PM

This diet/cleanse is unsafe and you will just put the weight back on. YOu are depleting your body of valuable nutrients and by not eating protein, your lowering your metabolism. THIS IS A JOKE!! DON’T TRY IT!

Tara Burner November 10, 2008, 3:09 PM

I’ve done this and other fasts for up to 40 days but not to lose weight…to just cleanse, fast for spiritual reasons, hit that ‘natural high’ stage.

You get your minerals via the organic natural syrup (not something like aunt jemiamah or whatever that processed junk is).

Nothing but a lifestyle change of eating less, being more active will allow someone to lose weight and keep it off.

Alisa Roberts November 10, 2008, 4:01 PM

I did this diet for 10 days. This was my 3 cleanse. It is not just a weight loss tool rather a physical, mental and spiritual experience. I did lose 20 pounds but did gain a few pounds back after I started eating solids again. I could not do the salt water flush. I didn’t have to use a laxative tea either. You can call this cheating but I used a premix Simply Slender Lemonade Diet I saw in Cosmo that is just a buffed up version of the original Master Cleanse. I actually felt like I had more energy with this cleanse that the prior ones. I am not up for a 40 day cleanse so can’t recommend that experience but the 10 day cleanses has been an extremely positive experience for me. - Alisa Roberts

Suzanne Eller November 10, 2008, 6:12 PM

This is so unhealthy and it will come back on as soon as you eat normally.

Jenny November 10, 2008, 6:17 PM

Its just plain sad that a women who is 5’10” and 155 pounds ( a fine weight for that height) feels the need to be 125 lbs!! Thats just ridiculous. Im 5’5” 135 lbs and that is a very healthy weight. Why am I saying this. Because Im proud of my body. Yes I need to tone up, no its not perfect but Im proud that I dont do self destructive things in order to get into a size 0 and I dont feel the need to get societies okay for the way I look. Shame on mom logic for encouraging what seems to be a bit of body dysmorphic disorder. Instead of PAYING her to promote the idea that she should be a stick and do unhealthy things to get there maybe you should be getting her help and promoting healthy things like exercise and nutritious food intake.

Jenny

busy November 11, 2008, 1:26 PM

This is nothing but “Bulimia of the butt”

Kit November 11, 2008, 10:12 PM

5’10 and 155 pounds and trying to lose weight. I think you should see a doctor! I was 5’8 and 130 pounds and trying to gain weight by doctor’s orders before I started trying to conceive. They wanted me to be at least 145. You really need to reconsider what a healthy weight is! Even the modeling industry is admitting now that the weights are UNHEALTHY!

mollysmom November 22, 2008, 2:35 PM

i’ve considered doing this a couple of times but i’m concerned about working out. has anyone done this and worked out at the same time?? did you have the strength?? i do spin twice a week and a lift class twice a week. i’m not going to just stop going to the gym, unless i’m stuck on the toilet :)

Babs November 24, 2008, 4:23 PM

One thing you must remember about the body is that there are times it is “self-cleansing.” However, given the amount of pollutants, toxins, etc. that we ingest through our skin, foods, etc., it is important to consider a cleanse that replenishes the body with nutrients.

Our bodies are awesome machines, and like any machine, it is important that we take care of this machine with exercise, the rights fuel, and cleansing. Cleansing can be from 1 day plus, depending on one’s needs and body.

Cleansing should be a vital part of any nutritional program. There are many programs out there; but, one must choose one that works for their body type and, again, a cleanse that replenishes nutrients. (For example, diabetics may experience some problems on the Master Cleanse — even though the Master Cleanse plan recommend alternatives.) I am a diabetic and while the first time I tried Master Cleanse, it worked for me; however, months later when I decided to cleanse again, Master Cleanse caused serious bloating — my body would not expell the salt water flush — and it caused an increase in blood glucose levels; which was also verified by my lab tests. Go Figure! So, it is important to choose what is right for your body type.

Master Cleanse has been around much longer than the “famous stars” usage, and it does replenish your body with necessary nutrients, provided Grade B Maple Syrup is used in the cleanse.

With regard to exercise, one does experince energy at some point doing the cleanse, so you may exercise. Again depending how one feels on the cleanse, a light exercise may be recommended by the plan. Important note: with the Master Cleanse, one should schedule exercise accordingly. The salt-water flush and senna tea may cause disruptions to one’s schedule throughout the day. (I believe that is why the author called this a “Rich Person’s Diet). You may need to be near a bathroom because emergency bathroom runs (excuse the pun) do occur sometimes frequently and througout the day.

Cleansing is not unhealthy — it is a good thing for your organs providing a well needed rest and cleanse; which is one of the main purpose for a cleanse —to experience optimal health; get healthy; cleanse the body. The added benefit is weight loss.

Hope this helps.

Babs

Havana November 25, 2008, 11:29 AM

Anytime you fast, or do something similar in a fast (such as this diet), your body uses it’s fat storage for energy, meaning it depletes and uses up fat on your body, after it does this, it is VERY hard to put the weight back on. My friend went on a weekly fast a few years ago and hasn’t gained the weight back. I tried this and it also worked the same way for me. A year ago I tried it and I haven’t put on more than two pounds.

Anonymous December 9, 2008, 6:39 PM

give her a break, everyone wants to lose a couple pounds. i’m 5’2” and 118 pounds and i wouldn’t mind losing 8 pounds to get back to where i was before baby, but i don’t worry about it too much because i just can’t give up my carbs! and don’t have time to exercise.

missa February 11, 2009, 5:17 PM

Who are other people to tell someone what size they should be happy at? I am thin but at one point even though 125 at 5’8 had a 31 percent body fat and looked like crap, i exersized and ate right and got bs from everyone who told me i should be happy with my size and not try to eat healthy etc if a person wants to be big, musculer, skinny, whatever it’s their body and only people who don’t have any drive to change theirs talk that bull to people..

Susie Moore November 10, 2010, 2:11 AM

I wanted to lose weight with the lemonade diet but I didn’t want to starve myself for days. I found a fast way to lose weight with a lemonade diet pill. Check out my blog for info on how I did it. Thanks, Susie.

Susie Moore November 10, 2010, 2:21 AM