A relationship expert reveals how morning sex can rev up your love life.
As any mom who's fallen asleep mid-coitus knows, nighttime sex and extreme exhaustion don't make good bedfellows. What to do? Embrace the joys of morning sex, of course! Dr. Jane Greer, a marriage and family therapist in New York City and host of the radio show Doctor On Call, tells how.
"Women tend to have fairly rigid ideas as to what constitutes 'good' sex," says Jane Greer. "But in the same way that one coat doesn't cover all purposes -- sometimes you need a light jacket; sometimes you need a parka -- one kind of sex doesn't cover all purposes, either. The fact is, a lot of guys prefer morning sex; they even wake up with hard-ons. So if you take advantage of that occasionally, you're going to make your guy feel very happy and loved."
To embrace morning sex:
• Revise your expectations. "Some women complain about the bad breath, his scratchy stubble, the absence of foreplay, the lack of romance," Greer says. "If that sounds like you, it's time to get into a new frame of mind about morning sex. Instead of thinking of it as making love, think of it as a jumpstart to your day -- an exercise that will energize you, get your juices flowing, and help you feel connected to your partner."
• Plan for a quickie. "Set the alarm back by 10 to 20 minutes -- no more," advises Greer. "Knowing it's going to be fast will help you lower your expectations about the sex. Ironically, you'll be easier to satisfy -- emotionally and physically."
• Change it up. "Morning sex doesn't have to happen in bed," notes Greer. "You can get into the shower with him, get busy on the kitchen table, whatever."
• Jump right in. "Forget the foreplay," says Greer. "Leave the kissing for another time. If you focus on getting right into the sex, it won't seem like a chore." (Bonus: The bad-breath problem will be solved.)
• Keep the good feelings going. "Morning sex gives the two of you something to be playful about for the rest of the day," says Greer. "You can give your partner a flirty phone call or send him a cheeky e-mail later on, which will enhance your intimacy even more."
What are your thoughts on morning sex?