My Daughter ... a Living Bratz Doll

And I'm not too happy about it.

Bratz Doll

Momlogic's Julie: My 5-year-old daughter loves wearing short skirts and shorts ... with tall boots, no less. No, I don't let her go out of the house like this, but she fights me every time I try to dress her prim and proper.

Why is she so insistent on dressing "hoochie"?

I certainly don't dress myself in stripper chic. But my daughter just loves tarting herself up around the house in halter tops and short skirts, a la Hannah Montana. When my daughter is dressed up, she says she looks "fancy." I say she looks "hoochie" ... and I don't like it one bit.

But I can already tell: The more I tell her I don't like it, the more she does like it. This starts early, folks.

I love when people say my daughter looks like a "living doll" ... but I'm less thrilled when she looks like a "living Bratz doll." Way less.

Can anyone out there relate?

next: Thanksgiving Meal Tips and Must-Haves
Suzanne November 21, 2008, 1:48 PM

Lucky for me my daughter isn’t into hoochie mama chic yet. She tends to do more Pippi Longstocking inspired attire, which in today’s society is frowned upon more than the Bratz look.

~me~ November 21, 2008, 1:52 PM

This is why i HATE them Bratz dolls or any doll that is dressed like a “hoochie”. I knew that kids would want to look like them.. hope that the kids will move on to a better toy!!!

mom November 21, 2008, 2:00 PM

I have a 7-year old daughter and I do not let her play with Bratz dolls. When she asks why I explain to her that I don’t like the way they look, I think it’s inappropriate. Still, my daughter sometimes tries to dress showing a little more skin than I like and I have to coach her on dressing more like a “nice girl”. As much as I try to keep her away from dolls and “role models” that I think aren’t good for her it’s hard in the world today to shield her from everything. All you can do is try.

Annette/dananner November 21, 2008, 2:17 PM

OK, I just have one question. I have a 6 yr old daughter, and I still buy the clothes. She gets to pick the colors and textures, but me being the parent, I impose the limits of what goes in the cart. Who buys your daughter’s clothes?

I also cull clothes she grows out of on a regular basis. I’m just saying, if she doesn’t have the tools, she can’t dress like a hoochie.

Jenn November 21, 2008, 2:47 PM

I agree with Annette. Where is she getting the “hoochie” gear in the first place? I would make sure her wardrobe has only pieces of clothing that are acceptable to you, then she has nothing to use to dress inappropriately.
Also, if you see the dolls or a girl on TV that is dress inappropriately, try to start a conversation about it; this way its about them and not about your daughter, and she’ll be less inclined to get defensive.

Wendi November 21, 2008, 3:10 PM

I totally agree with Annette, I have a 13 yr old daughter and she does not even dress like that. I started when she was young explaning that you should love yourself enough to not have to show your body off to get attention. Also that she would not want the attention that dressing like that attracts. My daughter knows that I have to see the clothes on before we buy them and when they are on they have to fit. I do not think that her tummy should show and it should not be to short. She does not get a say in this at all. I am the parent and that is the bottom line. If you set the example and then don’t give in when they ask you to, then they learn. For the most part she will be shocked at what some of the girls her age wear. She thinks most of it is to hoochie.

mary November 21, 2008, 7:48 PM

Why is she so insistent on dressing “hoochie”? MY question for you is, WHY are YOU lettering her dress “hoochie”? Your daughter doesn’t have credit cards and a car, so how is all this hoochie-clothing ending up in your house? You don’t have to buy it for her, you know… geez people.

AK Mom November 21, 2008, 10:53 PM

All moms have tough decisions to make with regard to certain toys. Y’know the to have or no to have of things like toy guns, certain dolls, video games, certain snacks/foods, music choices and movie choices etc…As parents we’ve ALL made mistakes and it seems to me that you asking for advice on how to undo yours. I have boys so I haven’t had the joy of deciding on whether or not Bratz dolls are appropriate for my kids or not, but, I have had to consider the appropriateness of certain video games. Here’s your situation the way I see it. You made the choice that the dolls were ok for your child. However, since then you have decided that maybe that wasn’t such a good idea. I’ve made the same type of misjudgments with certain video games for my kids … ‘T’ rated games that I thought wouldn’t be too bad but after a few weeks of playing these games I noticed an attitude change in one, not both, of my kids that I did not like. I had to make a tough decision on whether or not to keep the game. I chose to get rid of it. The problem was how. I decided to let my kids trade in the game for something that I approved of. This may be tough for you as my sons were 10 & 13 and your daughter is much younger. Don’t get me wrong it’s not as if the simply said “ok mommy we’ll do whatever you ask…:O)” I wish… but their choice was either to trade it in for something that I approved of or to get nothing at all. Since your daughter is much younger you may want to use diversion and really play up how cool and great dolls/toys and clothes that you approve of are. You might also accidentally lose those dolls and clothes and then replace them with dolls and dress-up clothes that you do approve of. BUT since your daughter is already disregarding your opinion on hoochie dressing you shouldn’t get into a power struggle with her on that. Set your rules and set firm consequences for disagreements and not following the rules. And remember you’re not the only mom out there to change her mind :O)

Anonymous November 22, 2008, 7:57 PM

Someone is putting that idea into her head.

chloe November 27, 2008, 3:01 AM

hey hows you bratz best friends ha?

Miki November 29, 2008, 10:14 AM

First off the Bratz don’t dress “hootchie” or whatever you call it. DON’T blame a doll whether it’s Bratz or Barbie for your lack in good parenting skills! If you let your kid dress like a “hootchie mama”, then you only have yourself to blame, not any dolls!

allie December 3, 2008, 11:02 PM

I’ve only read this post from Julie, but I find no mention of her daughter owning a Bratz doll. So lets get back on track. I have the same problem with my daughter, also 5, who finds a way to “hoochie” up anything she has in her closet. Just a couple of examples; she will fold up her shirt to show her tummy,or pull the front part over her head so her shirt looks like a shrug and she picked out an open weave crochet sweater meant to be worn over another garment and protested because I wouldn’t let her wear it without something underneath. On top of that, she dances around all the time, often in provocative ways that are only missing a pole. I tell her what’s inappropriate and I make her change clothes. I dress in business attire during the week and modest clothing on the weekends and don’t strut around in teddies or anything. She has watched Hannah Montana, but I don’t recall seeing bared bellies…but I definitely could be wrong about that. I’m thinking that the biggest factor in her wanting to dress like she does, along with her dancing is that she attended dance class for 2 years—just basic ballet and tap dancing, but the entire dance studio puts on a recital each year, and although the costumes for the little girls were okay, some of the teenage girls wore things that I thought were way too provocative. So, now I fear that something that was started in order to give her poise and grace, and for her to have fun, has influenced her negatively. Just my theory for now…

Denise December 7, 2008, 3:50 PM

I have to say that I do not let my 7 year old have anything to do with the Bratz dolls. I agree that they are way to provocative. I do let her watch Hannah Montana and I watch it with her and I never see the girls dressed in a way that I would object to. I do have 1 simple rule as far as dressing my daughter that I got from my stepmom - if I don’t like it we don’t buy it and if she doesn’t like it we don’t buy it. This very simple principle has served my family well. I will continue to use it for as long as I buy my daughters clothes and hopefully she will learn a valuable lesson about how to dress well along the way.

funduval December 7, 2008, 11:03 PM

I know this may sound crazy, but I think why not go all the way and just start talking to them early about female sexuality? Look. There is something afoot here in our society, and either it is the great advertizing patriarchy tarting up little girls, or it is society’s too-loose morals, or it is something else entirely (consumerism? evolution? who knows?) But the point is, these girls are objectifying themselves—making themselves look ready to court sexual attention. And that means someone is going to notice. And that means boys. Or, god forbid, men. Or the predator on the loose. Whatever. The point is, girls have to learn that these clothes send out signals. They need to know WHY things are inappropriate and what inappropriate MEANS! Otherwise, they don’t understand anything other than “here’s a rule to rebel against & see how far I get.”
There is no innocence in this day and age & I think instead of being sentimental about it, we should set upon the task of educating our girls about what this hoochiness will cost them in life. How it will imprison them to a life of seeking approval at all costs, how they will lose interest in other activities because sexual power will seem so gratifying (until they’re old & no one’s interested), and how no one will ever take them or their other interests very seriously. And, in this economy, only a serious-minded girl will have a future. Unless of course she’s getting a head start practicing her trade for the “oldest profession!”

Rosa Maria Jesusa Francesca Rodriguez  December 10, 2008, 3:04 PM

I tells me nina that she can no wear clothes de la prostituta til she es old enough like 14 or somezing y can make this familia some dinero. Perro when I was 15 I was working the calles de Tijuana so I can buy mi green card. I no know what the bratz doll es perro any nina younger than 13 should no be wearing dese kinda clothes porque she no have tetas yet

Anonymous March 17, 2009, 8:41 PM

good parten is what you need loster

Pharme662 April 6, 2011, 12:16 PM

Hello! edddged interesting edddged site!