MySpace Suicide Victim's Mom Speaks Out

Check out the exclusive video.

After Tina Meier's 13-year-old daughter was cyberbullied on MySpace by a grown woman named Lori Drew, she took her own life on October 17, 2006. Now, Tina's facing her former neighbor Lori in court in the nation's first cyberbullying case. Tina spoke with momlogic about all she's been through ... and her message for moms everywhere.

Do you think Lori Drew should be found guilty of computer fraud and misuse? Comment below.

next: I'm Not Always Green ... So Stop Judging Me!
Anonymous November 21, 2008, 9:45 AM

YES. She should be charged with murder.

clb1970 November 21, 2008, 10:52 AM

My personal opinion is that Lori Drew is responsible for having taken part in the death of Megan. As an adult, she should have said, “no, this is wrong.”

My heart goes out to Megan’s parents, family and friends.

In my opinion, something more needs to be done with the sites like MySpace. It is too accessible. No way to tell who is who, who is telling the truth, etc. I have seen it too many times. Boys, girls, teens, adults—whatever, they do not have the guts to say things in person, but they can say whatever they want on Myspace, to people they do not even know. I read my teenager’s MySpace and I was shook. The words that were on her MySpace that I have never heard come out of her mouth and her friends were all the same way. The teenage boys (they say they were teenage boys-let’s put it that way) talking to her about sex. The so-called friends telling my daughter, who also was suffering from depression, telling her that when she came back from her Uncle’s house, that they would have a big party for her and get her all the “cigs, beer, and pot” she wanted. I sent it straight to the police, with a little copy/paste into an email with a copy of the girl’s picture. When I contacted MySpace about my daughters site, I was told that I have to have her username and password and I can delete the sire myself. I contacted several different times stating that I wanted it removed—NOTHING. I carbon copied in the FBI computer crimes unit-NOTHING. I try everyday to protect my child and when I ask for help from people I think SHOULD help like MySpace—NOTHING. My daughter is no longer allowed on MySpace. We have no computer at home for that reason. She knows when she goes to a friends house, I will check her site to make sure she was not. I will spend hours searching for people matching her critera, just to make sure she did not create another. MySpace (and related sites)is the worst thing a child, pre-teen,and/or teenager can get their hands on.

Tracy November 21, 2008, 10:57 AM

Changing myspace or other sites won’t stop people from hurting others. Parent’s need to have control over what their children are doing. Even if that means no computer in the house or no cable tv.

Angie B. November 21, 2008, 11:28 AM

Lori should definitely be found guilty of computer fraud and misuse but murder, no, as Megan took her own life. This is a sad situation from every way you look at it. Tina needs to start taking some blame here also for allowing her 13-year-old daughter to have a MySpace account in the first place and not monitoring it properly and seeing who was sending her messages and what types of messages. It plainly says when opening up an account that you have to be at least 14 or 15 to even have a MySpace account (I don’t have one so I’m not sure exactly). I know kids will go behind their parent’s backs anyway and open them but this parent knew she had one and still was unaware completely that she was getting these types of harassing messages. She should have had her password and username and should have been checking her account every few days if not every day as MySpace is such a dangerous place to be. She also should have been talking to her about proper computer etiquette, especially while on such a site as this. If she did do this and Megan still found ways to cover up the harassment then there was nothing she could have done and what happened was inevitable falls back to Lori who should have acted like more of an adult regarding the whole situation and should have just let the kids be kids and worked things out in their own way. No matter what it’s sad because both Lori and Tina are “doing time” for this in their own ways for the rest of their lives, although Lori deserves to do time in an actual prison whereas I think Tina has been through enough already.

Anonymous November 23, 2008, 6:02 PM

yes she should.

anon November 23, 2008, 8:47 PM

Nope. just because she was making fun of someone doesnt meen she should be charged with murder. murders should be charded with murder, not people who mess around. huge fucking difference.

Rose November 27, 2008, 1:21 PM

I belive that she should be charged with something more than just computer fraud. I think that assisted suicide, abuse of a minor, and/or manslaughter should be in play in this case. She was an adult that decided to get inside of the head of a thirteen year girl. It is sick and reprehensible and she is at least partially responsible for her death. I think anyone that does not think so is out of touch with what it is like to be a 13 year old. I have a daugher close to that age, and I was that age, do you remember what is was like being 13, then imagine that combined with all of the other things kids deal with these days. For a grown woman, to intentionally create the account to harass her and then carry it out to me shows Intent, malice, disregarding the safety of the victim, assault (using the computer) and wreckless abandon. Lori needs to be not just fined, but institutionalized, she is a sick, viscous woman that decided to attack a child for her sick devious and psychotic reasons. Lock her up for the rest of her life, do not allow her access to any communication with the outside world, and make her think every day for the rest of her life, what she did to Megan.

Anonymous February 27, 2009, 9:00 PM

Fraud and Manslaughter.

Anonymous July 7, 2009, 5:47 PM

lori drew should most definitly be charged guilty for computer fraud. that was a stupid and childish thing to do to mess with someone much younger than her its pathetic that a grown woman would result to something like that over a name calling….no matter what the two 13 year old girls relationship was it could have been helped through other things. young girls can be sensitive and hurt easily…words can effect people more than some think. im terribly sorry about your daughter..my best wishes to your family

Anonymous July 7, 2009, 5:51 PM

Am I incorrect, but her daughter was to young to be on myspace and did not follow the terms and the conditions herself, if you want to use a loop hole than it has to work for all, and really what the heck did you not know about your daughters online activities, I sure as heck do not aprove of all my daughters online activities and such but I do know and I am involved and always have been, you can control the situation, but you can work with it my daughter is 18 still in school and under my roof all online activties are subject to be looked over, Be a parent not a friend love them for life

Ligyron July 7, 2009, 5:57 PM

Sorry but no murder charge here. “Stick and stones may break my bones…” Very, very sad tho’. Would this Lori creature have done what she did had she known it would lead to Megan’s suicide? I rather doubt it. She apparently was under the impression that her OWN daughter was the one being bullied here(by Megan) and she probably decided to “help”, a natural instinct for any Mother who never wants to see her child in pain. But then her solution, this whole inappropriate scene about creating an imaginary hunk and using him as a weapon to hurt Megan? Way, way out of line. Guilty, and considering the age diff - way twisted too. OTOH, Megan was apparently a special case, uber-sensitive and super vulnerable at what is a difficult enough time in life anyway, when a child’s self-image, as reflected in the approval of their peers (of whatever ilk), becomes all encompasing and often, their whole universe . It’s our job as parents to point out that obviously a cool self-image is just too important a commodity to let be determined by, controlled by or entrusted to other people — many of whom will have sunk well below the horizon within a few years anyway. That no matter how bad one might feel at any given moment, there nevertheless really is a bright and wonderful future ahead overall, that their whole world view, attitude and peer base will change completely every five years for the next twenty and that whatever the crisis now — this too shall pass. just looks to me like an unusual set of unfortunate, unforseen circumstances came together to end a life. This Lori deserves some type of punishment it looks like, but not knowing the whole story, and you know there’s more, I couldn’t say just what she should be charged with. It would be helpful to read the whole exchange between Megan and the Incredible Hunk to see just how cruel and manipulative this Lori was and to know just to what extent she was aware of Megan’s mental state and just what that state was. Whatever the outcome Megan sure was a nice looking kid and her Mom is real pretty too.

Judy July 7, 2009, 7:24 PM

No, I don’t think Lori Drew should go to jail, but should be made aware of her wrong doing, which you will live with everyday…… But again, what is a 13 yr old doing with her own myspace acct????? MOM and DAD, you are both just as much fault as Lori Drew. Take responsibility and stop blaming others for your own mistakes. We can only hope you don’t have anyone children………

sandy f. July 7, 2009, 7:38 PM

im sorry,youre daughter comitted suicide..was lori wrong- yes.It was cruel.Should she do jail time,,no. We dont need big brother.

cdm July 7, 2009, 7:43 PM

I’ve seen some of the other comments and some of you are out of your minds. You critize Megan’s parents for not parenting but will let this sick “mother” off the hook. What do you think her daughter learned? It is okay to go to any lengths to get back at someone for being called a name. You really can’t think she was justified or had a motherly instinct to protect her daughter from this girl calling her a name. Come On!!!! This woman involved her daughter in this and at the least that is really bad parenting if not criminal in it’s self. How can any parent not look at this and see that this Lori is responsible for this girl’s death. She knew Megan had emotional issues and knew just how to send her over the edge. My heart and prayers go out to Megan’s family.

Anonymous July 7, 2009, 7:56 PM

Anonymous July 8, 2009, 4:04 AM

YES I believe that Lori is guilty of criminal negligence as in negligent homicide which by what I have researched the United State federal laws on negligent homicide the mother Lori can be found guilty

Anonymous July 8, 2009, 1:44 PM

yes she should. definitely. She is a grown woman. How immature is it to bully a girl?!?

Brunette Hair Shades For Pale Skin November 24, 2010, 11:58 PM

Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

football jerseys japan wholesale March 8, 2011, 12:49 PM

If at first you don’t succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.