Hey Pregnant Man: You're a Lady!

Guest blogger Dani Klein Modisett: I hate to break up the publicity party but, and I know I'm not the first person to make this claim: Thomas Beatie is simply not a man.

thomas beattie

Just in case you don't believe me, I looked up the word "male" in the dictionary. 1. Relating or belonging to the sex that produces sperm to fertilize eggs. Sorry Mr. Groundbreaker.

At this point, Thomasina is essentially a hairy woman with a buzz cut and a goatee.

Frankly, if I didn't do a lot of tweezing and waxing, I'm not sure I'd look all that different.

My original take on this freak -- not of nature mind you -- but of narcissism, stands.

If we were playing poker with our opinions, I would say that Beatie "saw" my assessment of her, and by announcing her second pregnancy on television in an exclusive interview with Babs Walters, raised it with a fetus.

If this couple is really "just a family" as they continue to assert, why do they insist on putting a floodlight on procreating? Can you please go have your children and keep the pictures of your disturbing, hormone-manipulated body off my supermarket shelves and my television?

For the record, I am not in any way against gay marriage or gay families. A loving, nurturing, set of parents is all good with me, regardless of gender.

What's off about this marriage is not that it's missing a male member, so to speak, it's that they have once again proven to be relentless in their need for attention, particularly the "I never met a camera I wouldn't expose myself for" Beatie.

I wish their offspring so much luck. If I were more religious, I would pray for them.

next: "Where the Wild Things Are" -- the Movie!
Aue November 19, 2008, 7:40 AM

agree!!!

michelle November 19, 2008, 9:33 AM

I agree, it is a WOMAN!! What about breast cancer survivors? They have lost their breast and their hair, does that make them a man too? I think not.

Anonymous November 19, 2008, 10:13 AM

I can’t believe that this story was posted…to each their own…let people be what they want in their minds…it is none of your business guest blogger!

Jodi November 19, 2008, 10:19 AM

I worry about the effects of all those past hormone treatments on the developing fetus(es). And about what those children will subjected to in their community, and from their peers, as they grow up. As for families being “different” — well, luckily for the Beaties, acceptance of unusual parenting arrangements is somewhat more widespread now. Still, it’s a tough row to hoe, and the parents’ loving the media spotlight won’t help.

Jennifer November 19, 2008, 11:22 AM

Everyone I have talked to about this agrees that this is a women. A women that has used hormones to manipulate her body. I think it is sick and puts the fetus at risk for who knows what.

I think this family is irresponsible..not ground breaking.

Becca November 19, 2008, 1:00 PM

I thank you for posting this. I am so tired of this “groundbreaking” person. I feel for the children. No one is thinking about the children. How utterly sad.

Anonymous November 19, 2008, 1:03 PM

Thank you. I have thought many times SHE IS NOT REALLY A MAN! I mean if she wants a baby fine but can we quit posting “World’s first pregnant MAN?” I mean seriously does anyone else realize that would be biologically impossible. I don’t care she is a transgender or whatever, but let’s not claim a man is pregnant….

Anonymous November 19, 2008, 1:33 PM

You took the words right out of my mouth! Everything you said is exactly what i was thinking. I always said that if I shaved my head and and didn’t shave other areas I could be the worlds second pregnant man! Thank you for posting this!

BH November 19, 2008, 4:51 PM

Amen, Dani!
You can thank the beloved Oprah for “validating” this nut-job’s story.

Peteee November 19, 2008, 6:28 PM

I agree that this is not news. So, a biological woman had a baby…big whoop.

I do want to note that while you refer to “gay” a few times, these people are not gay. They have gender identity issues that have nothing to do with who they are attracted to.
Again, this is a misconception. This person has a sexual identity issue. This is not a gay person. Most gay folks, like straight folks, have no desire to change their sex.

Anonymous November 20, 2008, 12:56 AM

Adam’s apple, facial hair, and pregnant belly…whoa. Whoever, and whatever this individual may be, they’re sure in love with the male identity. I can’t see any femininity in that face, just a desire to produce children for a married couple.

Anonymous November 20, 2008, 8:19 AM

Duh… So what if you look no different from Thomas if u don’t wax/shave etc. Not all ladies are as hairy as u Madam. In the first place, it’s Thomas’s life. As long as the couple is happy. Y u bother? U jealous that he has a happy family or something?

realmomlogic November 20, 2008, 6:57 PM

So if (someone born) a man has an injury or a disease that causes him not to produce sperm is he not a man?

Lola November 21, 2008, 11:25 AM

Thank U! I’ve been irritated with this “story” from the beginning. This is not a man, but a woman pretending to be a man. All gender identity issues aside, a man cannot get pregnant. Plain and simple. Oh, yeah, let me not forget to add that I am gay. If this woman wants to live her life pretending to be a man, that’s fine. But don’t feed us some line of crap that you’re some kind of phenomenon of nature. This should never have been a news story.