Pregnant Man Expecting Again

He says the baby is due June 12.

Thomas Beatie

Thomas Beatie, a transgender lving as a man, and his wife welcomed baby girl Susan on June 29 in Oregon. Now, just five-and-a-half months later, he's expecting again, reports 20/20 exclusively.

Thomas Beatie, who is in his first trimester, tells Barbara Walters he did not go back on the male hormone testosterone after Susan's birth so he could have another baby.

"I feel good," he said. "I had my checkups with my hormone level, as far as the HCG. And everything is right on track."

As for baby Susan, she is doing fine. In fact, Thomas' wife Nancy is nursing the infant. She told Barbara Walters "My breasts started lactating." She has been breastfeeding Susan for four months.

"I just wish that people could be more tolerant to different types of families," Nancy Beatie said. "And I want them to know that we love each other, and we're going to love this baby."

Thomas Beatie has written a book about his life called "Labor of Love" which goes on sale this week. "What Is a Man, What Is a Woman? Journey of a Pregnant Man" airs Friday at 10 PM on ABC.

Do you think the Pregnant Man should have another baby?

next: Users Push to Have Suicide Video Game Banned
bobbie November 13, 2008, 3:47 PM

This is SICK,SICK,SICK!!! I feel very sorry for the kids!!

Anonymous November 13, 2008, 3:51 PM

well said buddy,,
sick as a sick thing can be!

Anonymous November 13, 2008, 3:53 PM

They’re going for their 30 minutes of fame. I refuse to give it to them. Good luck with your kids. Leave the rest of us out of it.

Anonymous November 13, 2008, 4:07 PM

disgusting. those kids are going to grow up with some serious identity issues. not to mention being made fun of. these “parents” are greedy. how about adoption? without revealing that ‘dad’ is really a woman. GROSSS

Kirstie November 13, 2008, 4:09 PM

I feel like he’s getting far too much hoopla for it.

Technically, you are not yet a biological man. You’ve still got the lady parts, it’s not that impressive.

Sharde November 13, 2008, 4:09 PM

I have no problem with trans- gender people, but if he wants to be a man what makes it ok for a man to have babies. I think he/she is very confused and just wants attention. I also feel very sorry for the kids.

realmom0f6 November 13, 2008, 4:12 PM

Why do they keep referring to HER as HIM? As long as SHE is giving birth to children, SHE is a female, mustache and all.

Heather November 13, 2008, 4:53 PM

Tell you what bothers me.. I monitor what my child watches on Television and yet the commercials that come on are just as bad.. WHEN this MAN?WOMAN?? whatever was pregnant the first time it was on every single commercial.. I don’t want NOR do I think I should have to explain this crap to my son… I can be a very tolerant person, but if you want to be a woman then be one, if you want to be a man then be one.. YOU are causing the intolerance for yourself and for your family and personally I think that you are disgusting and I feel so sorry for those children who will have to grow up in that type of life. They will never know who they are or have any type of level ground to stand on. You HE?SHE?? should be ashamed for your selfishness and the pain that it causes to all, you are disgusting.

Sherri November 13, 2008, 5:19 PM

My question is HOW is this “man” getting pregnant? If his “wife” is a REAL woman—and with the statement that her “breasts just started lactating”, I assume she is—two females don’t equal pregnant!

Reality!! November 13, 2008, 5:57 PM

ok here’s the deal the way I see it… I grew up in a predominately Italian neighborhood and there were lots & lots of hairy woman with mustaches… that didn’t make them any more manly than this woman-man is. They are a lesbian couple who used invitro to get pregnant… that’s it!

Bryan November 13, 2008, 6:31 PM

He is not even a man, just becuase IT looks manly and has facial hair doesnt mean its a man. It was born a woman and that it what it is, case closed. It is just a poser that wantes the benifits of both sexes. It should be a crime for something like this to repriduce!!!

halen November 13, 2008, 7:33 PM

god, you guys really disgust me.
I can always trust momlogic commenters to remind me how closed-minded people truly are, and to dash any hopes I had of a future where real people like Thomas Beatie can be accepted for who they are and not get called sick/disgusting/etc.
pathetic.

Syd November 13, 2008, 9:36 PM

I’m surprised by the comments. They love each other and can and want to have children. The love they have for each other and the children the will raise is more than many children around the world are afforded. I wish them all the best in this very cruel world where people will label their love and family as sick.

Jake November 13, 2008, 11:54 PM

I have always wondered if this was a stunt to get fame? I know many transgender people who have gone through so much to change “who they are.” They knew that the change would make them unable to have biological children from that point. When I saw this the first time, all I could think is publicity stunt.
This statement is not judgment on transgender people, and as close as I will ever get to judging anyone.

Kara November 14, 2008, 12:54 AM

Wow. I can’t believe the comments this story has gotten. For a bunch of people that say they are open minded you all sure don’t sound like it! Just because they are embracing something different does not mean they will be bad parents.

Leah November 14, 2008, 3:07 AM

Its sad to see what some of these people have to say. I dont think its nasty that he wants to have a baby. If she wants to be a man the so be it maybe she didnt feel comfortable as a girl.If he is happy with his life thats all that matters. Maybe he decided to have kids because his wife cant have any but i dont think its nasty at all but what i do think its nasty is some of these people leaving these nasty and cruel comments. You calling Thomas and his wife small are nasty and cruel but honestly i think u people are nasty and smalled and ignorant!!!!!

haas November 14, 2008, 10:25 PM

i dont agree with everyne calling him the “pregnant man”…. he is still a she….she had a sex change so she( the man) and the other lady could get legally married.

Now as a parent of a 6 month old….. i think everyone else needs to grow up and stop the name calling( sick o’s, nasty people etc…) my son is more muture then you all.

they want to have a family just like most people do and those peoppe so are doing the name calling are just jealous that they aren’t in the spot light, and they more then likely dont have a family of their own.

divajinx November 17, 2008, 9:48 AM

So what if HE wants to bear children…just because he’s male doesn’t mean he CAN’T! Male seahorses bear their young…..KUDOS to the Beaties and their efforts. It’s often been said that a man couldn’t handle the “pain” of birthing. Well, folks, here’s one who obviously can! Let them have their moments and babies; as long as they want them, can have them, and care for them, who cares HOW they got them?!?!? God works in mysterious ways. This is one of those ways. He made Thomas “special” for this purpose. Good luck to all of them!

AMT November 17, 2008, 10:59 AM

First of all he is not a man she is a women that has had her breasts removed and she has hair on her face. She should have had kids before she wanted to be a man. Stuff like this just sadden me due to 15 min of fame no man can or will ever have a baby. Man can never be a woman and a woman can never be a man. People should stick with being who they came into this world as. The world would be a much better place.

Dr. B November 17, 2008, 11:03 AM

This is far, far away from what God intended a family to look like and it is just another sad day in America, although predicted (Jer. 30:6). Why continue to make a mockery out of such a beautiful gift? I wonder what is next as we continue to give in to everyone with altered sexual behaviors. What will be legalized next?