Pregnant Man Expecting Again

He says the baby is due June 12.

Thomas Beatie

Thomas Beatie, a transgender lving as a man, and his wife welcomed baby girl Susan on June 29 in Oregon. Now, just five-and-a-half months later, he's expecting again, reports 20/20 exclusively.

Thomas Beatie, who is in his first trimester, tells Barbara Walters he did not go back on the male hormone testosterone after Susan's birth so he could have another baby.

"I feel good," he said. "I had my checkups with my hormone level, as far as the HCG. And everything is right on track."

As for baby Susan, she is doing fine. In fact, Thomas' wife Nancy is nursing the infant. She told Barbara Walters "My breasts started lactating." She has been breastfeeding Susan for four months.

"I just wish that people could be more tolerant to different types of families," Nancy Beatie said. "And I want them to know that we love each other, and we're going to love this baby."

Thomas Beatie has written a book about his life called "Labor of Love" which goes on sale this week. "What Is a Man, What Is a Woman? Journey of a Pregnant Man" airs Friday at 10 PM on ABC.

Do you think the Pregnant Man should have another baby?

next: Users Push to Have Suicide Video Game Banned
Debi November 17, 2008, 11:56 AM

Leave them alone. Is it weird? Heck yea.
However, they have a desire to have children as a couple just like you and I.
You can tell how in love they are isn’t that a good thing when it comes to being amazing parents?

Debi November 17, 2008, 12:01 PM

Come on people lighten up. It is a little weird? Oh yea, but so what. Why can’t two people who are so in love have children just as you and I?

renee November 17, 2008, 12:30 PM

to each his own.
too bad men dont have babies…

janders November 17, 2008, 12:41 PM

I’m astounded at the malice, mean-spiritness and total paucity of Christ-like ethic in the majority of the postings, particularly those that start citing Scripture as if that then makes their self-righteous judgement valid. Cease and desist with the nasty behaviour folks - act like grown-ups - treat others as you would like someday to be respected and treated. Is this story perpetuating Hoopla - sure is it! Is it going to bring down civilization - not going to happen. Plz take one iota of your respective negative anger, walk out your door, go to a neighbor’s house who is: a) shut-in, b) struggling to make ends meet, c) hasn’t had a minute of downtime in weeks, d) just needs to talk, etc and say four magic words “Can I help you?” and rechannel your kinetics into something postive. With all of the big -and I mean really, really big issues out there, the fact that folks can sit and spin and spew such nasty, condemning and poseur comments is disheartening. Me- Its my day off and I’m heading out to a neighbors in 5 minutes or so - her baby is sick and I’m going to play and read with her other two kids for a couple of hours and walk her dog so she and the babe can get some sleep - see how easy it is to be a little more upbeat. Not a real big deal I know, but, I’ll feel better and so will she and the world will go on regardless. :)

Anonymous November 17, 2008, 2:37 PM

This is weird. The first I heard about this was on the T.V. show Dr. 90210.

Allison November 17, 2008, 2:55 PM

My feeling on this is that this person is a woman dressing as a man. Whatever. She had a baby and is now pregnant with another. Whatever, again. However, I feel they should have just quietly chosen their alternate lifestyle and not contacted the media and gone public with it. What was the point other than to be infamous and make money off of it? So now they’re famous, ridiculed, rich, their kids will suffer socially, what’s the trade-off? Was it worth it? If they truly just wanted to be in love and raise a family then they would’ve just done it. She is no more a man than I am, just not as pleasant looking.

Alicia November 17, 2008, 4:49 PM

I don’t have any issues with Thomas becoming pregnant, I have an issue with the media calling Thomas a pregnant ‘man’. There is NOTHING male about Thomas. I know some women who have that amount of hair on their bodies and they don’t walk around calling themselves male. You still have a vagina! There is nothing female about having breasts or smooth hairless skin. Men have breasts and can have smooth skin. YOU HAVE A VAGINA! One of the beautiful things about being a woman is that you have different parts than a man and, although not always the case (infertility, etc.) our bodies are carriers of life. Men CAN NOT biologically carry a life! (At least until technology catches up). I have no problem if they want to have a child but call it what it is, a transgendered-not transexual- lesbian couple who is having children!!

Geena November 17, 2008, 4:55 PM

I have no problem with how these two choose to live or parent their children. What I don’t care for is all the media saying “Pregnant Man has a Baby”. How is he a pregnant man? That seems to imply something other than the reality.
Why are they going on all these tv shows? It’s just two people having a baby. It seems like he’s a “woman” who is trying to live as a man which is fine but why all the hooplah and freakish advertising?

Anonymous November 17, 2008, 8:44 PM

NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT
A MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christy November 18, 2008, 12:07 AM

That is really wrong! ! ! ! !
Man its oveus that he/she cheated on he/she’s wife.
Eeeewwwwwwww

amy November 18, 2008, 1:21 AM

she is man but was born a woman. we shouldn’t be quick to judge . i am happy for them . i congratulate them . i’m happy that there is people like them that love their children.

Kelly November 18, 2008, 3:32 AM

I think that there is no problem and its fine as long as the children are loved and taken care of. I’m a young mom and had too many people look down on me and I take PERFECT care of my child. So, I don’t think you should judge what you see on the outside unless you seen whats on the inside too.

anonomous November 18, 2008, 7:26 PM

Correct she is not a man and needs to repent and get to know jesus.

Suzette November 18, 2008, 9:24 PM

This is NOT a man…it is a wanna be. If you are going to write, talk or speak about this woman why not give true facts…tell the truth. Men do not have babies. Having babies is not in a mans make-up and God did not intend for men to have babies. God knew who she was in her mother’s womb. After all He formed this woman and did not intend her to be anything other than a woman.

Ana November 19, 2008, 3:26 PM

This is gisgusting and wrong. Society is being brought down every single day by garbage like this, we dont have to accept it just because the media tells us to.

Lelani November 23, 2008, 4:50 PM

I think it is great. The world should be made of different family types. As long the children are loved they will do well. Good luck to them. I am sure if his wife could she would have.