Don't Evict This Sex Offender!

Read the facts and judge for yourself.

should_this_woman_be_evicted_pm.jpg

When 29-year-old Wendy Whitaker was 17, she had consensual oral sex with a 15-year-old classmate. She was charged with a sex crime and is now listed on the sex-offender registry.

This week, she is scheduled to be evicted from her home because it is within 1000 feet of a day care center. A new law bans sex offenders from living, working or loitering within 1000 feet of just about anywhere children gather. That includes schools, parks, gyms, swimming pools and the state's 150,000 school bus stops.

Lawyers have filed a lawsuit in an Atlanta Superior Court urging a judge to block the eviction. Whitaker said she is worried she could lose her home if she is forced to move because she can't afford to pay both rent and mortgage.

Whitaker's challenge also seeks to force the state to drop her classification as a sex offender, saying it violates federal protections against cruel and unusual punishment.

"I think it's ridiculous," she said. "I don't deserve having to go through what I've been going through. There's no reason to leave my house. I'm not a danger to anybody."

Do you think Wendy Whitaker should be evicted?

next: How to Flirt...With Your Husband
just me November 24, 2008, 10:28 PM

There is a recently passed law in my state (July 1, 2007) that would prevent her from being convicted, since she was 17 and he was 15. If the ‘perpetrator’ is under 21, and performs a sexual act with someone within 4 years younger than them, and are involved in a dating type relationship (not rape), they can claim the ‘Romeo and Juliet Defense’.

I don’t believe she should be classified as a sex offender. Look at all the teens who openly admit on talk shows that they have sex at school! Some are as young as 13 and 14 years old, saying that they have sex during lunch, and even in the bathrooms. So many kids are doing this, they just haven’t been caught yet. I don’t think it is right, at all, but if this was such a crime, she should’ve been sentenced after it happened.

marianela November 24, 2008, 11:19 PM

this is the stupid thing i ever heard. For god sake both of them was almost the same age.

Lisa November 25, 2008, 6:55 AM

How about this..As a male security gaurd,follow a kid around a store knowing they have stolen merchendise in their shirt, detain her,pull her shirt tail & the merch falls out but YOU get arrested instead & put on the list because you signed a form saying you wouldn’t do that!
So not only does she get away w/ theft, your life is screwed because your considered a sex offender for doing “your job”! If it was another guy you would have gotten a raise for job porformance, well done!

So NO, let this person be. Sometimes laws work against the ones who attempt to uphold them!!!

ashley November 25, 2008, 7:51 AM

Lisa- I used to work in a department store and we always had undercover security there. They tried to always have a man and a woman but if they couldn’t have the woman then the security guy would grab a girl off the sales floor to be a witness. I had to do this a few times. That is really sad if that does happen though. Anyhow, as for the story, abosulutely ridiculous!! When I was in high school I dated a guy who was younger than me. We met when I was 17 and I can’t remember if he was 15 or 16. That’s like the stupid law I think we have here that if a girl has her shoes off in a boys car and he is 18 and she’s a minor then he can be charged with rape. So dumb!!

Kara November 25, 2008, 8:10 AM

This is ridiculous! These laws should be in place to protect our children from predators, not people like this woman. How many people are guilty of something like what she did??? We need to worry about the predators people!!

birdsfly November 25, 2008, 9:22 AM

My husband and I started dating in HS. He is two years older then me which put him at 18 and in the military while I was still only 16. If my parents minded they could have had him arrested and put on the list, luckily my parents were the supportive kind that drove me from Ohio to Georgia to see him graduate from bootcamp and to North Carolina to see him ship off to Iraq. This is ridiculous.

ak mom November 25, 2008, 11:40 AM

These laws are outrageous and cruel. They are there to protect children from predators, not to ruin an innocent teenagers lives. I’ve heard of a few cases in which teen-aged boys were sent to prisons because they had sex with their teen-aged girlfriends. This is an abuse of the law. She should not only be removed from that list but she should also have her record expunged.

DUMBLAWS November 25, 2008, 12:18 PM

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. This is why our country is so screwed up…!!!!

Pam November 25, 2008, 2:24 PM

I think the sexual predator laws need to change NOW, HEAR THAT OBAMA?? In no way should consensuual sex between 2 people have one being charged as a sexual predator. These laws are so out of control. IT IS NOT FAIR FOR PEOPLE LIKE THIS TO BE PUT IN THE SAME CLASS AS A PREDATOR, RAPIST, OR ANY OTHER PERVERT. I know a young man who is a straight A student, a junior in college, who is on that so called list because when he was 16 he went to a party where there was a very promiscuous 15 year old girl who had sex with 4 guy’s, one after the other. Her parents found out, she cried rape, now they all are on that list while she is living a free life, in college and having sex with any guy who walks her way. THE LAWS ARE NOT FAIR! THEY NEED CHANGED! IF THIS IS THE YEAR OF “CHANGE” AS EVERYONE SEE’S IT WITH PRESIDENT OBAMA, THEN DO SOMETHING AMERICA ABOUT THIS UNFAIR LAW OF THE LAND.

Anna November 25, 2008, 9:11 PM

I really feel for her, she must feel humilliated. I, myself could easily be in her shoes. She is not a sex offender… I mean, If he was 13 I could see that but, she was not that much older then him.

Deborah December 9, 2008, 11:16 PM

they need to get real!!
they both were kids.
any or just about every 1 could be in her shoes

Garland Marasciulo March 29, 2011, 6:57 PM

I have been checking out many of your posts and i can claim clever stuff. I will make sure to bookmark your site.