Some Of Your Kid's Art Is Garbage

Momlogic's Andrea: Sure I think my kid is talented, but she's no Van Gogh.

trashedart1.jpg

If there's anything all mothers have in common it's that we all think our kids are artistic geniuses. From the moment of their first scribble on a piece of paper - or usually on the wall - we're amazed at their choice of color, the length and thickness of their lines and the way they can wear down a crayon in 2.5 seconds.

So what compelled me to take a piece of my two-year-old's artwork and shove it into the garbage can? Truth is: I'm already running out of ideas of what to do with all of her pieces of self-expression.

Since starting pre-school a mere three weeks ago, she has brought home these "art projects" daily. It's like we've enrolled her in an arts and crafts sweatshop -- all day long her tiny hands, weary with exhaustion, glue macaroni and cotton balls to construction paper.

When I told a friend I had tossed one of her pictures she freaked out on me:

"I would NEVER throw away anything my kid has done, it's a part of them!"

OK, seriously? Not all art is equal. And I've been to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Some of it just isn't that good. Surely not everything is worth saving?

Clutter Expert Peter Walsh has the solution... go digital! Oprah and Snapfish.com have teamed up for a limited time [48 hours] to offer moms who are ready to hit the tin can fast and memorable results.

To help you get organized, Snapfish.com is offering a free 8" x 11" custom-cover photo book! Create a Snapfish.com account now or log in to your existing account to receive this special offer. Get your free book!

Click here for all the details.

next: Idol Contestant Found Dead Near Paula's Home
dollslikeus November 13, 2008, 10:31 AM

I liked the part about going digital it is very good I need to go digital more I have this huge cabnet full of photohoes is 6 feet tall and I have another cabnet full of pictures that belonged to my family .Not to mention a few cabinets of the artwork I produce when I am writing a book . That is part of my office the other half of my office is doll pictures I have over 100 dolls .Which I use as apeople when I illustrate.

birdsfly November 13, 2008, 12:14 PM

I think this would make a great present for grandparents.

Robin November 13, 2008, 7:39 PM

Children’s art is so important. They are actually expressing what they think and how they feel when they draw, paint or whatever they do. It is very hard to keep all the art they do and sometimes you have to decipher it all. However there are groups that would be very interested in using the artwork to benefit others.

Joanna November 14, 2008, 2:01 PM

Hello,
I was reading your article and I think Shutterfly is the best online service for your prints, other gifts or photobooks. You can put all those boxes of photos in a photobook -Shutterfly makes it soooo easy and I wouldn’t just say that if I didn’t mean it. Of course going through photos and scanning them in is the BIG job. Once you set up an account w/ Shutterfly (you get 50 free prints) you upload your pictures for your photobook and viola its done. Now I realize for first time photobook makers, it can be intimidating. There are many people to ask. Also, I think putting Children’s Artwork in a Photobook is a great idea - something I want to do as well. Hop on over to our Gallery in Shutterfly, view others books, and be inspired to make your own photobook.
Just ask if you need help.
Good luck

Joanna November 14, 2008, 2:04 PM

Also, these DO make the BEST gifts. Christmas is coming soon.

kd dixon November 30, 2008, 8:21 PM

Snapfish backed out of the free offer, said they couldn’t complete the order and are giving me 50 prints instead. I have no use for that. I wish they woul have stood behind the offer.

Dear Snapfish user,

We have experienced a problem processing your recent order . Due to a technical issue in our system, we are temporarily unable to access some of your photos and can not fulfill your order at this time. We have cancelled this order. Please allow 3-5 business days to process your refund.

If you would like to resubmit this order, we recommend that you re-upload those images to a new Snapfish album and use those new images to create a new order.

We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience, and to show our appreciation for your understanding we have issued 50 free 4x6 mail order print credits to your Snapfish account, which you can redeem at any time in the future.

If you have any further questions about this voided order, please feel free to contact Snapfish customer support at service@snapfish.com

Sincerely,

Snapfish Customer Support Team

Anonymous December 4, 2008, 7:54 PM

Most of the “art” that kids do in school are what the art teachers tell them to do. It’s basically the end result of a step-by-step instruction booklet.