This Country Prefers Fat Women

On Thursday's "Oprah" she showcased a country where women deliberately fatten up so they can look MORE attractive to the men. Think you want to live there? Watch the clip and let us know!

Would you gain weight to get a man? Comment in the momlogic community.

next: Moms Help Spread McDonald's Propaganda
mary November 20, 2008, 7:26 PM

OMG that is just so sick and sad…those poor girls…I wish the women of the world were not so reliant upon men and their approval…thinking of all the injustices that women and girls live through every day… sad.

fatty November 20, 2008, 8:01 PM

Awesome! I’d be so hawt there. Finally a use for the baby weight I packed on!

Anna November 20, 2008, 11:40 PM

really people can be hot either way, why does there need to be such ridged standards?

unknown November 21, 2008, 12:44 AM

ugh..make note to never travel there…ever.

mary November 21, 2008, 7:51 PM

I watched the whole segment on Oprah last night. I can’t believe that she glossed right over the torment that the girls go through in that country… force fed until they vomit, and then forced to eat more and more and more, all in 90+ degree heat… it’s sick. And she made it sound like woo hoo, great place Mauritania, woo hoo, I’m goin’ there… sorry Oprah, but I’m going to have to call you a ditz on that one.

Anonymous November 23, 2008, 9:02 AM

100% Muslim country! Yikes! I could show up and be a non Muslim hottie! Of course I do not condone what is done to kids and women. Most of us as Americans could never live in that society!
But after a life time of being fat, it sure would be nice to be seen as wonderful for our size. I don’t think anything else was implied by that TV show. Back up and think about it for a second. Oprah was venting, not condoning that ugly practice! If she was accepting it, she never would have shown the ugly horrible side. It is her show, she got it right in my opinion, she showed the horrors, and sort of dreamed about accepting fat women and beautiful, no more no less.

Seth  September 15, 2009, 9:07 AM

Here’s the skinny on the fattening in Mauritania. The families want to get their daughters married off ASAP. Not only does sending them off to fattening farms get them to the desirable round shape, it also causes them to go through puberty early. Some girls will be pregnant before they reach their teen years. Rock bottom, the fattening is used to promote under-age sex.