Toddler Dies in Tragic Home Accident

What happens when the accidental death of a child falls on the hands of his father?

firecrackers

Home fires are frequent and fatal -- and the number of kids that get injured or die each year is astonishing.

Here are some scary statistics, according to Safe Kids USA:

•4,000 Americans die each year in fires.

•Approximately 20,000 are injured.

•Nearly 600 children age 14 and under die in home fires each year -- that's 11 kids each week.

But what if the fire was started by the negligence of someone who loves their son dearly?

That's what happens on Monday's episode of "Judge Jeanine Pirro." A mother named K'la Boothman is suing her ex-boyfriend for the death of their four-year-old son who was playing with fireworks he found in the closet while his dad slept. She says their son died as a result of her ex's negligence, however the father (and defendant) says the fire was an accident and he did everything he could to save his son's life.

"I got a phone call from a neighbor after I dropped them off on July 4th saying I needed to immediately call Kevin back because something had happened to Caleb," says Boothman. "I went over there and I called and Kevin answered the phone and said there was a fire and Caleb didn't make it, and passed the phone off to somebody else. And I lost it...my four year-old son died four days after his birthday."

Watch the tragic video for yourself.

next: What You REALLY Want to Say to Your Kid
Karin November 2, 2008, 2:42 PM

How about about we talk about whether it’s appropriate for this to be “entertainment” on television?? This is just sick.

michelle November 2, 2008, 8:40 PM

I agree with Karin. This sounds coldhearted and casual.

Ju February 26, 2009, 3:48 AM

The poor boy. I agree with Karin and michelle.

TB March 10, 2009, 6:44 PM

If she had dropped those boys off the morning of the 4th of July why didn’t you run in there and try to get your little boy? How can you say you were there when it took over 4 hours to get ahold of you? And when you live 3 hours away how could you dropped off your boys by 6:30 in the morning and the fire happen at 6:31. WHERE WERE YOU THEN???

TB March 12, 2009, 12:10 AM

THIS IS WHAT K’LA BOOTHMAN DID WITH THE MONEY AWARDED FROM THE SHOW…

$5,000 TO DRUGS….WHAT A GOOD JUDGE HUH?

THIS IS A LOCAL PAPER HERE IN OREGON ABOUT K’LA BOOTHMAN

Three Alsea men arrested; marijuana, guns seized
By the Gazette-Times
The Lincoln County Interagency Narcotics Team arrested three people after an investigation into local marijuana manufacture and trafficking.

The Lincoln narcotics team — known as LINT for short — along with members of the Oregon State Police, Newport Police Department and Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office conducted a traffic stop east of Waldport and served a search warrant at two locations, one in Lincoln County and one in Lane County.

They detained Timithy R. Graham, 27, from East Lobster Creek Road in Alsea and seized four ounces of marijuana.

The officers served a search warrant at 163 East Blueback Lane in Tidewater, where they contacted Timithy’s brother, Andrew Joseph Graham, 24, and K’La Rshle Boothman, 23. The officers seized more than 200 growing marijuana plants, dried marijuana and an assault-type rifle and a short-barreled shotgun, among other items.

They served another search warrant at 96430 Lobster Creek Road in Alsea. In a small travel trailer occupied by Timithy Graham, they seized a small amount of marijuana and firearms, including a riot-type shotgun, an assault type rifle and several handguns.

At the residence next to the trailer, they seized a large quantity of marijuana packaged for sale and three more firearms. They found blasting caps, which were neutralized by Oregon State Police explosives technicians.

All three were lodged in Lincoln County Jail for unlawful delivery, manufacture and possession of a controlled substance.

LINT involves Oregon State Police troopers, deputies from the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office and police officers from Lincoln City and Newport as well as the Lincoln County District Attorney

Clay July 1, 2009, 8:37 PM

Give please. The freedom of all is essential to my freedom.
I am from Morocco and too poorly know English, tell me right I wrote the following sentence: “Therefore, a truly effective flea control program always includes treating the.”

Thanks :). Clay.

Ghita September 8, 2009, 4:25 AM

Hi all. Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
I am from Sri and also now’m speaking English, give true I wrote the following sentence: “In 2006, martelly got his open hair from encountering and dressing.”

Best regards 8), Ghita.