Tragedy On Black Friday

walmartdeath2701129.jpg

A Wal-Mart worker is dead after being trampled by "out-of-control" shoppers at 5am on Thursday morning in Long Island, New York.

Other employees attempted to save their trampled co-worker and were also injured. An 8-month pregnant woman was hurt in the incident and at least three other people were taken to the hospital for treatment and observation.

Customers were told to leave the store due to the death, but continued shopping because they did not want to miss out on any sales. Shoppers stepped over the unidentified male employee and were angry when asked to leave since they had been waiting in line outside the store since Thanksgiving morning. Police are now reviewing surveillance video to try and identify the individuals responsible for trampling the Wal-Mart employee to death.

Tragedy continued on the most anticipated shopping day of the year in California, where two people were shot and killed inside a Toys R' Us. According to police, two rival groups were shopping at the store at the same time, when an argument broke out and shots were fired, causing customers to scramble for cover.

Toys R' Us issued a statement and said they were "outraged by the act of violence", which stemmed from a "personal dispute".

next: A-Rod Had A Full Thanksgiving
michelle November 29, 2008, 10:13 AM

Just when you think you’ve seen it all. What has this world come to? I feel so sorry for the death of this man and for his family. Where is the humanity? All for the saving of one almighty dollar? All those people should be punished for this terrible act!

Rose November 29, 2008, 11:01 AM

I was at the Walmart in Bourbonnais and there was a actual fight inside the store…they had uniformed police officers uncovering the items that were in the sale ad…it makes was pure insanity in there i had a woman shove me and not even say excuse me! These people are out shopping for the holidays and they trample, shove, rudely make there way through the store…Merry Christmas?

Jeff November 29, 2008, 12:01 PM

After this is thoroughly investigated, the unrulely folks responsible should be prosecuted and when found guilty, go to PRISON.

Deldigno November 29, 2008, 12:04 PM

Man’s inhumanity to man…so pathetic!
Attention Walmart shoppers who trampled the young man, as well as to all those who did NOT stop to help him! You are pathetic, despicable, shampeful and a colassal disgrace to American humankind. Shame on you all for the rest of your lives.

bethany November 29, 2008, 12:33 PM

that so sad my dad died there

LMartin November 29, 2008, 1:41 PM

It amazes me that people are so greedy and pathetic that they will step on someone to get what they want. I feel for the family of that man and hope that those responsible are caught, if that is possible. And to think this happened at a Wal-Mart!! Just to save a few bucks on cheap stuff??

Mayhem4masses November 29, 2008, 2:00 PM

Now I’m mad, the worst part of the whole story is the inhuman way those people reacted, instead of feeling remorse for the poor man and his family, they felt greed like they were the victims for being asked to leave. I hope they all get into to horrible car wrecks this holiday season. okay, maybe thats going to far, but this is why I hate the holidays, Christams has no meaning anymore.

Kent November 29, 2008, 2:02 PM

These people responsible for doing this should have to spend time in prison and volunteer to be the door opener next year.
Maybe now something will be done to regulate the crowds before they are let loose to charge through and over anything or in this case anyone in there way. Pass out numbers and let, maybe 200 in at a time. Last year I waited in line at Best Buy and they had employees come out and pass out tickets for items. If they had 40 pieces of something they came out and passed out 40 tickets to the first 40 people that wanted that item and they did this with each one of the “hot items”. This way you did not have to “race” in to get what you came to get.

T. Shirley November 29, 2008, 2:05 PM

It is so sad to see that people have forgotten the real meaning of Christmas. NO consideration for others,remorse or sympathy. It is indeed a mad,mad world.My heart goes out to the victim’s family.

Erica November 29, 2008, 2:06 PM

And this is why I do all my shopping on line its safer that way.

Plak November 29, 2008, 3:16 PM

I really feel sorry for those lives lost due to these outrageous people having no real common sense in their heads. They really should have thought of having some time of enforcement for these stupid fake shopping deals where you barely save anything anyway. I stay away from sale days in general and do my shopping online or when no 10,000 people are in line. These people all should have been taken to jail. How could anyone continue to shop when someone is DEAD? WOW WHAT A WASTE OF HUMAN LIFE, AIR, AND SPERM THESE CROWDS ARE.

Shannon November 29, 2008, 3:38 PM

I cant believe the way people act.Wal Mart is not even that good.The people that trampled and the people that just walked over him should b put n jail 4 a long time.And also if the lady with the baby was hurt they should go 2 jail 4 even longer for attempted murder on top of murder 4 the employee.

ltsnipes13 November 29, 2008, 4:13 PM

Well Yesterday at frys electronics I got into fight with another customer, he was trying to get a sales item outta my cart when i wasn’t looking he tried running til I tackled him (yea I guess i am kinda greedy but he tried to run) The man was escorted out by the Police and I was taken into the security room to be interrogated but I got out and I was asked if I wanted to press charges which i thought was weird cause i did the first blow. yep I got out with a 22in lcd monitor for 100 bucks and other goodies, Probably the best black friday i’ve ever had.

think please November 29, 2008, 4:50 PM

As one of the millions of retail workers in this country, serving the public for many a black friday I feel that this is just a symptom of a much more pervasive illness of SELFISHNESS among American consumers. If getting gadgets on sale is more important than the life of a store worker who is- let me remind you- SERVING the public for meager wages, then something is terrribly, terribly wrong with consumers in America.

Anonymous November 29, 2008, 5:04 PM

Only at Wal-Mart would something like this happen. TRASH goes in and TRASH comes out. What a sad world we live in. Nobody cares about anyone these days. Hey all you parents out there, LOVE your children, teach them right from wrong,teach them to have empathy for all mankind. RICH OR POOR, BLACK OR WHITE, FAT OR SKINNY, IT STARTS AT HOME

Ginny November 29, 2008, 5:23 PM

This is the most tragic thing I have ever heard. I would think that after a thing like this Black Friday would be outlawed.

ugot2bkiddn November 29, 2008, 5:29 PM

Unbelievable. My Prayers go the the poor guys family. Walmart is the epitome of everything bad with big corporations. Do some research on them, you will be shocked. Singlehandedly they have destroyed small town businesses and economy’s and 95% of the goods sold at walmarts are made in chinese sweatshops. If you love this country then do some research on these SOB’s and put them out of business.

ROISE WAR November 29, 2008, 5:58 PM

I GOT IN AN ARGUMENT WITH A LADY AT WAL-MART. I had my item in my cart. I turn to look at something else, and she took it out of my cart. I ask her why did she take it she said “lady no speak english. I said I bet u speak this I ball up my fist and she gave it back to me. What the world is comimg to/

aly November 29, 2008, 6:40 PM

PEOPLE ARE SOO DUMB AND SELFISH! THATS WHY I DONT GO SHOPPING BLACK FRIDAY

whatever happen to the true meaning of X-mas? November 29, 2008, 6:43 PM

As far as I can remember, I have hated the Christmas holiday. Didn’t care about the gifts and want I received. All I ever wanted was to have one day with the family, no fighting. Never did get it. People have lost the true meaning of Christmas, Black Friday should be no more. No more special sales early in the morning, no more camping out just to be first in line. Stores should open at regular times, if one customer gets out of line, arrested. Sorry, to say, but the lost of life that happen at Wal-Mart shouldn’t of never happen, everyone there should take some responibiliy for his death. END the MADDNESS now. Stop all after Thanksgiving sales.