Victoria's Secret Bras -- Unsafe?!

One woman says, "The bras put me out of commision for a month! I don't want to go through that again."

A lawsuit filed against Victoria's Secret claims some of the brand's most popular bras are responsible for causing rashes and permanent scarring, Yikes!

Roberta Ritter says she recently bought the popular "Angels Secret Embrace" bra as well as the "Very Sexy Extreme Push-Up Bra," two of VS most popular bras. After wearing the bras for several days, she says her skin began to itch which then developed into "ugly red painful welts that were hot to the touch," she said.

Ritter's lawyers purchased the same bra types and had them tested at a lab. They say their tests revealed that these bras contained formaldehyde, a chemical many people are allergic to. Ritter's lawyers told ABC News that dozens of other women have contacted them and are experiencing similar problems. They hope to turn this into a class action lawsuit.

victorias secret recalled bras

Momlogic spoke to a Victoria's Secret spokeswoman who had the following to say: Millions of women love Victoria's Secret bras. We have strict quality controls around our products, and we do not use formaldehyde in our bras. Customer safety and satisfaction are always our primary concerns, and we take very seriously any issues our customers may have with our
products.

next: Jennifer Aniston: Angelina Was "Really Uncool"
bernadette rodin November 11, 2008, 10:07 PM

I have those red marks on my breast bone. I really didnt know why..thank you
for giving an idea where and why.
I will get rid of those bras

rupunzel November 11, 2008, 10:32 PM

Victoria’s Secret bras are made in China. Consider the problem exports from China recently, toxic dairy products, toxic infant formula, lead paint in toys, deadly imitation Heparin, toxic eggs and other exports with serious problems. I would avoid or completely stay away from China products. We might now get to add bras to this list. The majority of bras sold in the US are Made In China. This is a far cry from when Victoria’s Secret sold mostly high quality European or made in USA lingerie. VS is more marketing and fashion than quality and value offerings.

Anonymous November 12, 2008, 12:43 AM

In response to Bernadette:
Are they red welts, or more like red marks just under your breasts on your ribcage or breastbone? If they are just red marks, you may just not have the right size bra, and should be measured to make sure. I only know this, because I walked around for years with pain in my ribcage from underwires, red marks, etc., all from ill-fitting bras. As a plus-size girl, I only buy my bras at Lane Bryant or Fashion Bug. I got my bras 2 for $20 on clearance last year, stocked up on 5 good ones at that price, and with decent care, they are still in great shape over a year later. They last forever, and have great support.

sandi di marino November 12, 2008, 9:20 AM

I too have the exact same itchy blisters which my dr. thought was maybe my detergent. Now I know. Please contact me with any new info.

Anonymous November 12, 2008, 9:51 AM

I have been wearing VS Bras and other clothing for more than 10 years. I have never had a problem. I have various types of bras to from there. Maybe its an allergic reaction to fabric or something in the fabric. i don’t see how that would be VS fault. I can’t wear Angora Fabric because i break out in a itchy rash. I love VS bras and clothing. I will never stop buying from them. Never had a problem.

Anonymous November 12, 2008, 9:56 AM

overpriced bras

VS luver November 12, 2008, 10:11 AM

Anything for that potential buck. Makes me laugh like the woman who got hit in the eye with the VS thong jewel. With this bra being a best seller, the ratio of women who didnt have a problem most certainly outways the women who did, which means it has to be some sort of personal reaction they are having with this product. If it doesnt work out, throw it out and move on to the next product. You’ll spend more time and money trying to “sue” a power house company like VS anyway. I have to say I’ve worn alot of VS clothing and lingerie and never had a problem.

Anonymous November 12, 2008, 10:19 AM

Here’s a thought, wash them before you wear them. Brilliant.

birdsfly November 12, 2008, 10:28 AM

Anon- If the problem is formaldehyde then simply handwashing them (the only method you can use for those particular bras without completely destroying them) will not do too much to remove the chemical.

Carmen  November 12, 2008, 10:59 AM

A lot of product manufacturing has been sent to China and other countries, to cut the cost for companies. So why are the cost reductions not passed on to consumers? VS is way over priced.
Who regulates products that are made out of the US?
no name please

J. A. November 12, 2008, 11:01 AM

I had gotten the same reaction on one side but from a bra purchased for under $20 at Target and made surprise, surprise in CHINA. The rash was the size of a silver dollar with the same reactions that the other women had. Thought it was detergent, maybe fine hair clippings after a salon hair cut, or other fibers embedded in the material, even thought it had radioactive material etc. (Why not they could be capable of anything as we have seen) Saw that it was made in CHINA threw it out immediately. The others bought at Target that I purchased where made other than CHINA didn’t have a problem. Eventually the rash slowly went away. Let’s go with made in the USA!! Bring back American Manufacturing before we become worst than a third world county with health problems purposely given to us by these other countries. Why are manufacturers and other businesses who decide to outsource willingly risk everything that they had built up here to have it fail by what other counties’ produce for them. Everything from defective goods, stealing technology and poor quality phone centers to name a few. America needs to wake-up! Those countries won’t change and we need to pull out so the balance of trade will be shifted to a positive and safe MADE IN AMERICA.

BH November 12, 2008, 11:58 AM

If you think you are having an allergic reaction, you can just try returning it instead of suing the company. Might be a bit easier…Victoria’s Secret is good about returning things if you have a reaction. I personally have lots of Victoria’s Secret bras, including the Secret Embrace, and haven’t had any problems with them…but I do make sure to wash them regularly, not wear the same one day after day, and get the right size so they aren’t rubbing wrong and causing problems.

manseye November 12, 2008, 12:07 PM

Well, there you have it! Proof positive that women should not be wearing bras to begin with. I say, let the girls fly free and easy ladies!

blondelender November 12, 2008, 12:18 PM

I guess my question is why she wore them for so long if she had a rash and welts were forming? I think I might have tired a different (clean) bra before it got that bad?!

MeToo November 12, 2008, 1:00 PM

I have been having the same reaction from my VS bras! I was fitted at the VS store, so fit isn’t the cause. I launder them regularly, so that rules out the cleaning issue. This is pretty scary and most likely is effecting a huge number of women.

R.N. November 12, 2008, 1:46 PM

i have recenlty had to same issue with the VS bras. after just a few hours of wearing one of them i broke out nall over my chest with hives !! it was very uncomfortable. i took it off immedietly and even days later you could see where the irretation was from my bra.i thought it was just me until i say it on the news a few days ago.

Dr. RLR November 12, 2008, 3:14 PM

This is absolutely very imformative and interesting! I currently have a rash, right now as I am typing this, on both sides under my breast. I just told my mother this weekend, it was and had been itching unbearably, lately and I didn’t know why. She suggested Johnson’s Baby Powder with Cornstarch- it has worked, however, I will be checking all my bras - they seem to be the culprit! Thanks, everyone for the info!

p.n. November 12, 2008, 4:22 PM

I had that same reaction last year from the bras … which I constantly clean… I was uncomfortable for months and after countless trips to the doctors (which the doctors kept telling me its the detergent, soap, lotion,food reactions} The symptoms stopped after I stopped using Bras from V.S.

Linda November 12, 2008, 5:39 PM

I am so glad that im not the only one. Like the others, I have been like this for the last few weeks, trying to figure out how to fix it myself,the prescription lotromin, atarax at night to help you sleep so you dont rip yourself apart scratching..unfortunately my rash is still there too. I have stopped wearing the bras and wonder what will happen now.

Lisa November 12, 2008, 6:00 PM

If you wash it many times does the chemicle come out?