Wanda Sykes: 'I'm Proud to be Gay'

sykes270.jpg

Comedian Wanda Sykes announced she was gay during a Proposition 8 protest on Saturday.

"I'm proud to be a black woman and I'm proud to be gay," said Sykes, 44, at the Las Vegas rally.

The "New Adventures of Old Christine" star married her wife on Oct. 25 and is taking a stand for gay rights.

"If we had equal rights, we shouldn't have to be standing out here demanding something that we automatically should have as citizens of this country," Sykes said. "I said, 'You know what, now I gotta get in your face.' And that's what we have to do now. They have pissed off the wrong group of people!"

Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.

next: "Bachelor" Winner Busted!
halen November 17, 2008, 2:31 PM

ha, I’ve always liked her. She’s funny :)
Congratulations on her marriage. Too bad the state of California has taken that right away from all the other gay people in the state. I just hope the state honors the gay marriages it DID perform. I heard they were going to but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Steph November 17, 2008, 3:10 PM

So commmendable that Wanda came out. I can only imagine as a straight woman how much courage that it takes to come out…especially to the media. wow. And just have to say…hang in there to the LGBT community…stay strong. Its so not right that Prop 8 didnt pass…equal rights for ALL!

TVL November 17, 2008, 3:52 PM

YEA for Wanda….she’s right my parnter & I have 23 years plus and we just live our lives as human beings and don’t need to announce ourselvse because we are who we are! We always believed..”YOU DON’T LIKE MY PEACHES,DON’T SHAKE MY TREE!”

Lisa  November 17, 2008, 5:52 PM

Her ray and Congrats to Wanda. Hopefully with her coming out,some social stigma within the black community will deminish. Now gay black females can be real within themselves, because there are a lot of us out at night, but noone knows who we really are in the daytime. Obama,now Wanda, I am really for the next one!

lori November 17, 2008, 10:12 PM

congrats to wanda, i am so happy for her.
i wish her all the best. i am a 39 year-old female bi-sexual, and i am also
proud of my sexuality.keep up the great work, wanda, you are awesome.-lori

sher November 17, 2008, 11:01 PM

I am the mother of a 35 year old gay man & I want my son to have all the same rights heterosexuals have pertaining to a life mate. The thing I don’t understand is this…straight people don’t go around exclaiming ‘I’m straight! I’m straight!’ so why do people think gays should let the world know they are gay? Other than their sexual orientation, they are no different than straight people. It’s like Hitler making Jews wear a Star of David on their chests & that sucks!!!! I read where Wanda said that in her world, whoever ‘needed to know’ she was gay, did & she didn’t find it necessary to have to proclaim it to the world. I stand behind Wanda, Ellen & every other gay & lesbian in support of them. G-d bless them all & help them to live a life like everyone else does. REPEAL PROP 8!!!!!!!!!!!!