Women Show Pity for Casey Anthony with Cash

Why would anyone in their right mind give money to an accused child-killer?

Casey Anthony has hit rock bottom. The 22-year-old currently sits in a tiny cell in the Orange County Jail in Florida accused of murder. Many are already convinced Anthony is guilty of fatally chloroforming her three-year-old daughter Caylee, stashing the body in the trunk of her car and then callously partying at a local bar. Things don't look good.

casey anthony

Yet there are a few people, mostly women, who've taken pity on Anthony and are sending her money, to be deposited directly into her jail Inmate Money Account. The account can only be used at the jail commissary -- essentially a canteen for items not supplied by the prison.

So far a total of four women have been moved by Anthony's story enough to contribute. For the most part, the connection between Anthony and the women remain a mystery and is likely to remain so. "We do not seek out the relationship between the contributor and the inmate," Orange County Corrections Public Information Officer Allen Moore told momlogic. Moore isn't surprised, however, that Casey is receiving donations. "Obviously if there had not been the intense media coverage for this case, strangers wouldn't have sent money."

One of these so-called strangers is Michelle St. Claire of Spring Valley, California. She sent the accused mom murderer a donation of $75.00. In an exclusive interview with momlogic, the 39-year-old St. Claire defended her decision to come to the aid of the incarcerated mother.

"I'm a firm believer that you're innocent until you've been proven guilty," says St. Claire, a licensed private investigator. "This is a 22-year-old girl whose life is over. If 75 dollars will buy her some freakin' cocoa lotion, then what's the big deal?"

And, for the most part, standard items are all Casey has been buying. Her first purchases in the prison included: shampoo, hair ties, envelopes and stamps, a washcloth, a sports bra and underwear.

Anthony cannot, as CNN correspondent Nancy Grace erroneously reported, use the money to buy, "lingerie, high-end luxury items, like shrimp cocktails." Unless you count ear plugs or Spam in a Pouch as "splurges," the commissary's offerings consist of only the essentials.

Given the small amount of money St. Claire donated, she is baffled the way the media has been reacting to what she feels is an act of "compassion."

But psychoanalyst Dr. Bethany Marshall is suspect of anyone reaching out to Anthony. "They've identified with her in some way," says Dr. Marshall. "Either they've been abused by a mother, they've abused their own children, maybe they're drug addicts and neglected their own children, they know what it's like to be put in jail."

St. Claire, a childless woman, who has never been incarcerated, thinks Marshall's explanation is laughable.

"I don't necessarily think she's innocent," she says. "I think she was stupid. But I try to be a forgiving person. You never know when you're going to need to be forgiven for something. She's already been tried and convicted. I think educated, healthy people sometimes do reckless things in desperation. She wanted to get a break and something tragic happened."

In the end, St. Claire wonders why people are so judgmental of such a small gesture. "It's not like I sent Casey defense money."

Discuss the latest Casey Anthony news in the momlogic community.

Click on an image below to see Michelle St. Claire's money order to Casey Anthony, as well as money orders from other contributors, Casey's commissary purchases and the items available to buy at the Orange County Jail.

casey anthony document casey anthony document casey anthony document casey anthony document
Donation Check #1 Donation Check #2 Donation Check #3 Donation Check #4
casey anthony document casey anthony document casey anthony document
Casey's Commissary Order
Prison Commissary Items (page 1)
Prison Commissary Items (page 2)

next: Carnie Wilson Pregnant Again
Shannon November 5, 2008, 1:18 PM

Ugh. If this woman wants to waste her money on a murderer, let her. Who cares.

Lisa November 5, 2008, 1:27 PM

How completely disgusting these stupid women are. They must be as sick and twisted as Casey the child murderer. I cannot believe that these women are taking pity on a monster who killed her own baby. These women must have all done something horrible to their own children and identify with, and feel sorry for, Casey the Killer. I truly do not understand why these criminals, like Casey get to have such amenities like makeup and candy and little treats in jail. This jail house account thing should be stopped. Criminals like Casey should not have any comforts. They deserve only food and shelter and medical care if necessary, other than that, they should get nothing more. Florida is truly amazing when it comes to the treatment of its criminals. No wonder there is so much crime there!

007 November 5, 2008, 1:28 PM

I understand St. Claire, and her reasonings…

Linney5680 November 5, 2008, 1:28 PM

everyone needs to be forgiven???? you can’t be serious?? she took someones life, and not just someone, her own child….the one person she was supposed to protect for scary people!!! not everyone needs to forgiven….how would you feel if someone took the life of someone you loved dearly, would you still think they needed to be forgiven and send them money to buy stuff in prison???

Angelina November 5, 2008, 1:29 PM

I understand feeling compassion for someone when you have been in a similar position. But St. Claire’s response that, “…people sometimes do reckless things in desperation. She wanted to get a break and something tragic happened.”
I’m sorry but no! You don’t kill your child because you need a break. No, no, no. Maybe you don’t understand because you aren’t a mother but that just does not happen! You yell, you scream, you cuss, but YOU DO NOT KILL YOUR CHILD!
Desperation is not an excuse. She is a murderer and worse, she murder her own daughter.

Linda November 5, 2008, 1:38 PM

The word “hate” is not in my vocabulary. Compassion I am very familiar with; yet when I look at Casey Anthony I feel hate and it hurts and upsets me…

As a mother and a grandmother I cannot fathom a person losing their child and doing NOTHING but lie, lie and lie about it… I cannot fathom a person stealing checks from a “friend” and casually buying things for yourself and casually getting cash from a bank…

It’s ease that she did those things that adds to my anger with her, she appears to have no morals, no consience, no remorse whatsoever.

IMO they should send their money to Tim Miller not Casey Anthony.

Micah November 5, 2008, 1:49 PM

I believe that Dr Bethany Marshall is right on the money with her explanation as to why St Claire and other woman would reach out to Casey Anthony. I agree that they do so because they identify with Casey in some way. Here was a young woman with a child who clearly did not want one, and appears, in desperation to have rid herself of her responsibility. Reading Casey’s chat logs shows how frustrated Casey was with her situation and with having to depend on other people for help with Caylee.
Perhaps, St Claire is childless by choice. Perhaps, St Claire knows that she would not be able to handle the responsibilities of a child, and in desperation, could be just as capable of taking the action that Casey Anthony appears to have choosen? Perhaps, St Claire knows that she is capable of “snapping” from the added burden of caring for a child. Whatever St Claire’s reasons are for wanting to help Casey Anthony, I am in agreement with the indentification aspect as her motives, and suspect that St Claire is childless by choice perhaps because she knows that she, herself, could be capable of doing what Casey Anthony has done.

karen November 5, 2008, 1:57 PM

I am wondering if Casey will send a thank you letter to those that have given her this money

Is there any way that “momlogic” can follow up on this, I would love to know

A Stone November 5, 2008, 2:01 PM

These women are freaking wack!! Why would you let Casey have the opportunity to buy anything beneficial knowing what she has done! They should be put in the jail cell with her! She does not deserve be on earth much less be able to buy HERSELF something! This makes me SICK!!!!! How could any one act like condoning this is right??

Liz November 5, 2008, 2:02 PM

Exactly when was Casey Anthony proven to be guilty of murder? Oh, I remember now, as soon as Nancy Grace said so. A little free thinking wouldn’t hurt any of you that are so sure Casey is guilty.

Anonymous November 5, 2008, 2:09 PM

It’s very possible that St Claire is a better person than any of us. Her reasoning impresses me and gives me pause. People do make mistakes, drunk driving can cause a death and isn’t usually malicious—but reckless and careless and stupid. A mistake that explodes into THE event of one’s life when someone dies. Casey Anthony, like the Columbine kids, should become a symbol of tragedy that might have been prevented with some more understanding up front.

Karen November 5, 2008, 2:10 PM

Wow, what is this teaching Casey Marie Anthony??? This is the sort of “pampering” that Casey has had all of her life and thus has crippled her to grow into a mature, responsible woman. Casey NEEDS (for her own sake) to be taught a lesson that lying, stealing, deceitfulness and perhaps even murder ALL come with severe consequences. Besides, aren’t all Tax Paying citizens of Florida already paying for her keep. This is also letting George & Cindy off the hook in what their responsibilities are as far as “their” daughter is concerned - have they deposited funds into her jailhouse account to ensure that she has the essentials to make her a little more comfortable? These acts of kindness would be better off directed at homeless shelters, soup kitchens, etc. etc. etc. Casey is a least being fed 3 meals each day, albeit NOT shrimp, lobster or steak meals.

Now I would have absolutely NO problem maybe giving Casey some sort of financial assistance AFTER being found ‘NOT GUILTY’ on all charges she is now facing - but not now — just seems unjust as far as little Caylee is concerned.

em November 5, 2008, 2:10 PM

Innocent until proven guilty! I do believe that what she’s allowed to buy is beyond the “basics”. If she needs underwear why can’t it be brought in by her attorney? Bought by her parents? And mouthwash? No! Not necessary in jail, along with many other items she has access to whether she bought them or not. Even if innocent, jail is about having (most) of your rights taken away as punishment. Basics only should be provided in my opinion. Anyone fool enough to send her money for any reason, well, their business not mine.

zorro November 5, 2008, 2:13 PM

One can send money to whomever that person wishes to send said money.
I however think asie from her bank roll here LOL ;(
the issue is this;
“Where Is Caylee Casey?”
Oh!
I forgot in DISNEYLAND WITH ZENAIDA!

Liz November 5, 2008, 2:16 PM

Just for the record, I have never been in jail, never abused my children and to the best of my knowledge, do not identify with Casey Anthony in any way.
I am, however, a humane individual and I believe she is innocent until proven guilty.

Trina November 5, 2008, 2:22 PM

innocent until proven guilty, maybe, but it’s obvious that she is guilty. i may get stressed, but as soon as i see that little face and when he says “da doo, Mommy” (love you, mommy) my heart melts. i could never imagine my life without him…and could never hurt him. my job is to protect him from all the evil people in the world and to keep him safe and make sure he feels loved and important and like he can do anything…..and one moment of me pulling my hair out doesn’t change that!

rachelemybelle November 5, 2008, 2:32 PM

Liz, I agree with you 100 percent. And Karen, the question about whether Miss Anthony will respond to her contributors with thank-you notes is an excellent one. I’m wondering that very thing.

Marabelle November 5, 2008, 2:35 PM

Trina, I agree with you so much on the ups and downs of motherhood, and yes, it is our job to protect our children. I guess in that respect, it is no wonder that Casey Anthony has brought so much animosity upon herself. Her actions clearly show that there has been no attempt to protect her daughter. Calling the police, would have helped protect her daughter; telling the truth when detectives were investigating would have helped to protect her daughter; not spending her newfound free time at the bars, would have helped to protect her daughter. Her actions do not show a loving, caring, kind, concerned, devoted, protective Mom. Is is any wonder why she is being judged and assumed to be guilty? Casey Anthony created this situation all by herself, with her own actions. These were her choices, and as a parent, it is fundamentally clear that she was not acting in the best interest of her child nor with protect her in mind. The only person that Casey Anthony protects is herself and her own best interests.

Ginger November 5, 2008, 2:37 PM

Anyone who claims it was compassion that drove them to send money to Casey Anthony’s account is delusional. Why not send money to hurricane relief victims or a battered women’s shelter? That’s real compassion. I think these “benefactors” are titillated by a case like this and want some kind of morbid contact. Let Casey Anthony’s parents provide the funds, for heaven’s sake! After all, they claim she’s a wonderful daughter.,

RIN November 5, 2008, 2:40 PM

ONLY she knows if she is guilty already ladies. Right now she is facing the crime that was committed, and whether she did it or not she still loses. I am not a great fan of second chances myself however I believe the small things that are being called prison luxeries make you feel human and maybe feeling human will make her if she is guilty understand what she has done and not plead insanity or if she is innocent help comfort her. And do remember her family, they lost not only a baby, but this young lady too. Her whole family will go through this in one way or another, maybe this is a loss that could have been prevented.