You Can't Watch That Without Me!!

Should wedding vows include "Til television do we part?"

mediacheating.jpg
What if Bill Clinton had said "I did not have sex with that woman ... but I did watch an episode of the AMC's 'Mad Men' with her?" If Hillary and Bill had declared themselves 'media monogamous,' the declaration would have spelled even more trouble for the Clinton household.  "Media Monogamy," a phrase first coined by NPR's Brian Unger, refers to vows couples make to each other to only watch certain TV shows with each other. And it's not to be taken lightly.

As TiVo becomes standard living room equipment and television series are released on DVD, the ability to "save" a show to watch as a couple has become the norm. And if one member of the couple strays and watches the program with someone else or even alone -- there's hell to pay!

Momlogic's Jen, mother of one, takes her vow of media monogamy very seriously. "In my house we do not watch the "The Office" without each other. We don't even fight about it because it's that important to us."

Cheating isn't just reserved for the living room. You can also be unfaithful at the movies. "If we talk about seeing a movie together and one of us sees it without the other, we'll get pissy with each other!" admits Jill, mom of two. Even if the movie happens to be playing on a plane, Jill takes umbrage at the betrayal and would quickly reprimand her husband with "You should've waited for me! You shouldn't have bought the damn headset!"

Do you and your partner have media monogamous relationship?

next: Brady Kids on THEIR Kids Acting: "No Way!"
amanda November 6, 2008, 7:04 AM

Yeah we have had a few shows like that. The Sopranos was a big one. Now due to our schedules we normally Tivo everything and when the person can watch they watch it.

Anonymous November 6, 2008, 9:29 AM

my Tivo is full of shows we only watch together. But with three kids and two jobs, that never happens. But they’re there when we get the chance!

Chrissy November 6, 2008, 10:23 AM

That describes me! I definitely practice/try to insist on media monogamy. Unfortunately, my boyfriend doesn’t always agree.

Marinka November 6, 2008, 10:34 AM

We are media polygamists, or more precisely, whores. I need to watch what I want to watch, when I want to watch it. It’s every spouse for him/herself!

Lindy November 6, 2008, 10:40 AM

There are very few that we both like or watch together. I will DVR ones he doesn’t like or if I’m not home. Then I watch them when he’s not around.

sherry November 6, 2008, 10:42 AM

Nah, not here. We don’t have Tivo or anything like that here, so we watch what we want when we want. The most leeway we have is that with our satellite package we can view different time zones, but we don’t wait for each other anymore.

Angie November 6, 2008, 11:06 AM

No, that would be impossible at my house. We had to put cable in the bedroom because it’s such as issue at our house. My boyfriend hates almost every show I watch. There’s other about a couple of shows he watches with me. I have Heroes, 90210, Life, My Name Is Earl, The Office, and Extreme Home Make Over. He on the other hand has Monday night football and the Speed Channel, lol. We’re very different when it comes to T.V. but when the other has a show on the other either tolerates it or finds something else to do until it’s over. We work around it well.

nycmom2 November 6, 2008, 1:12 PM

last night, my husband went out and i was so happy to catch up on my shows — all by myself.

ginger November 6, 2008, 1:25 PM

Nah - usually, I’m reading in the same room if he’s watching one of “his” shows. When I watch one of mine, however, he leaves the room to find something else to do.

Natalie November 6, 2008, 4:11 PM

That seems kinda stupid to me. My husband and I have shows that we watch together (CBS Monday night, House, Fringe), and the rest he either just kinda hangs out with me while I watch, or I DVR them to watch during the day (I’m a SAHM). If, however, we’re not home during House (his favorite show), we’ll record it, and we’ll watch it together. But that’s the only one.

karen November 29, 2008, 8:22 PM