My Teen is Pregnant ... Now What?!

Would you help raise the baby, force adoption, kick her out of the house or encourage abortion?

"I would be shocked, sad, scared and speechless if one of my young daughters got pregnant. I don't know WHAT I'd do," says one mom of two tween daughters. Teen and tween pregnancy has been all over the headlines these days. (Bristol, Jamie Lynn, or Gloucester Pregnancy Pact ring a bell?) Unfortunately, the United States has the highest rates of teen pregnancy and births in the western industrialized world.

34% of young women become pregnant at least once before they reach the age of 20 -- about 820,000 a year. Eight in ten of these teen pregnancies are unintended and 79% are to unmarried teens. You'll be shocked at how one mom coped with her daughter's pregnancy, and the rules she established after the baby was born.

According to a "Tyra" online survey, one in five teen girls hopes to be a teenaged mom. The survey also found that 64% of teen girls say they are sexually active and 52% have unprotected sex. Just under a quarter believe they have a sexually transmitted disease but still have unprotected sex. A quarter said they have emailed their partner sexual photos and have indulged in alcohol or drugs at school. 9% claimed to have participated in group sex.

The survey also found that 14% of teen girls claim to have had sex while at school. A national momlogic survey found that one in five kids has witnessed sex in school. Check out our Teen Sex in Schools Momvestigation below.

For more on teens and sex, tune in to today's "Tyra" or visit www.tyrashow.com.

What would you do if your teen got pregnant?

next: Casey Anthony ... A Criminal Mind?
Anonymous November 18, 2008, 2:07 PM

Let them have a good time and pay for thier own actions.

Rosa Maria Jesusa Francesca Rodriguez . December 5, 2008, 4:03 PM

Es no problemo. I had first baby when i’s was 14 and I luvved it porque mi padre de iglesia was the padre of mi baby. He tolds me I haveing de lords bebe like madre maria gloria dios! Perro he saids I tell no ones cuss dios no want thems to knows i carry his otra nino

ann  December 6, 2008, 4:45 AM

The world is overpopulated. Raising children is enormously expensive. Teens need to be in school and let their brains mature. Abortion is the only solution that makes sense and does not bring more children in to this world who will not be fed, who will be abused and who will end up on the streets. 18 years after Roe v Wade, violent crimes went down dramatically. Be smart! Get an abortion and then use condoms. Every time.

CC December 8, 2008, 4:52 AM

teen sex would not happen so much if one of the parents could stay home and raise the child- like things were supposed to be. Public schools are raising our children now- not us, the parents

Anonymous April 15, 2009, 6:21 PM

I have two daughters I preached safe this abstain apparently they did what they wanted to do..I have a grandaughter almost two now..But now the other daughter followed in sisters footsteps and she is pregnant at 17 1/2 not enough education. It makes me sad that she chose this lifestyle and she will be moving in with the babys dads family they have agreed to help. I cant do it over again.

shay June 5, 2009, 4:00 PM

im sorry but im a teen and i have a 1year old and my mother and father drilled me ALOT about not havin sex and honestly if a teen thinks there ready theyre gunna do it one way or the other so talk 2 them and buy comdoms is the best u can do

grandma and helping January 6, 2010, 3:26 PM

I am a grandma and my granddaughter is 3 wks old. My daughter went through alot of counseling, therapy, parenting classes and lived in a pregnancy home for several months to get her head clear. She is going to work for our family business, go to college and stay home until she can grow up and properly take care of her child. She is now a wonderful level headed teen/mom and has come a long way in the last nine mths. She is receiving a lot of help from us, b/c she needs it and the baby deserves the best. I can say we went through a lot of tears and money so she could parent this child and we could help. Babies father is not involved b/c he is abusive. If you have a out of control teenager who is pregnant, take advantage of a pregnancy home. Even if you can’t afford to pay anything they will help your child. Taking them out of the element is what it takes to get their feet on the ground. You will cry and feel like you turned your back on your child, but you will reap all the rewards when your grandbaby is healthy and your child is able to parent her baby. My child hated me nine months ago, but has thanked me over and over for putting her in the pregnancy home and getting all that counseling.

Brooke August 12, 2010, 12:19 PM

Well I’m 15, and I’m pregnant. And telling you the truth, one reason teens want kids is because they want somone to love them. If parents played a role in teens lives, alot of teen pregnancies wouldn’t happen.

Kaylahn April 26, 2011, 7:53 PM

I got pregnant because a boy at my school pushed me into the locker room and raped me.I was crying but nobody seemed to care because everyone had already had sex.I am 14 and I have my beautiful 4 month old son that I am calling Chase. I love him but I wish I would have had him in my mid-late 20’s. I do not feel like a child an more I feel as if my childhood was taken away from me by a person I didnt even know.

Kristen  April 27, 2011, 6:21 PM

Kaylahn,
Did you tell adults what happened? No 14 yr old should be raising a baby, but especially not in your situation. Consider adoption. You and your child deserve the better opportunities adoption would allow.