Oh Baby! 14-Pound Baby Born

14poundbaby270.jpg

Oh Boy! A California woman had a big, special delivery this holiday season when she delivered a 14 pound, 2 ounce baby boy.

Doctors say it is largest baby ever born at the Saddleback Memorial Medical Center --and possibly all of Orange County -- and it took two doctors to lift the new baby boy out during the cesarean birth.

At 21 1/2 inches long, Baby Richard Walker is said to have already outgrown all of his baby clothes and is too big for his infant car seat.

While doctors actually told mom Sara she would never be able to have children, she became pregnant with her first child who was born in 2005 and weighed 10 pounds 12 ounces at birth. Sara says she gained over 100-pounds during her latest pregnancy and developed diabetes, which could account for the larger baby.
Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.

next: Panel Won't Subpoena Obama Aides
ladydiva December 28, 2008, 11:15 AM

congrads to Sara I had a 9lb 5oz baby but you go girl i hope all is well with you and your new bundle of joy.

Stacy  December 29, 2008, 5:58 PM

how on earth did a 14lb out grow his carseat???

Christina December 29, 2008, 7:24 PM

baby might be too wide for the seat.

Jen December 29, 2008, 7:38 PM

That kid did NOT outgrow his infant car seat…he still can gain 6 lbs more for most..and 16 for some.

Congrats on the baby…however, it makes me wonder if the mother had adequate prenatal supervision…a doctor should not have let her end up gaining 100 pounds!

Anonymous December 29, 2008, 10:19 PM

My 9 month old is 29 inches and 18 pounds and hasn’t outgrown his infant seat…..

L December 29, 2008, 10:21 PM

Pfff. Thats an UNHEALTHY baby. Diabetes is risky and gaining 100 pounds doesnt help. Good job putting you and your baby at risk!!!!

Anonymous December 30, 2008, 10:11 AM

Her first child was 10 lbs. She just has big babies. I have to agree though, that baby couldn’t have outgrown the car seat yet. Of course he’s probably in 3-6 months clothes. I hope they are healthy and happy.

Anonymous December 30, 2008, 1:30 PM

HOPE THE MOTHER AND BABY ARE DOING WELL!

Anonymous December 30, 2008, 2:43 PM

L.- Who are you to throw stones? Shame on you for turning a perfectly amazing story into a finger-pointing blame-fest on the mother. She just gave birth! She just brought a life into this world, it shouldnt matter how much it weighs, its healthy and she did a great job. You need to look at the big picture here, not nit-pick at all the tiny details. Who cares about the darn carseat, you people will grasp at anything to start drama. We should be congradulating her on her accomplishment not speaking bad about her for giving life! And besides, an overweight baby is a hell of alot healthier than an underweight baby, dont you agree?!

Diabetic Mom December 30, 2008, 4:28 PM

I don’t usually comment, but after reading “L’s” lovely post, I can’t stop my fingers. I am a Type 1 Diabetic, not just gestational and I have four beautiful, healthy boys. I gained 84 pounds with one and 75 pounds with my last son. I was a very healthy pregnant diabetic. I ate healthy, took my insulin, had excellent prenatal care and other than being put on bedrest for preterm labor, everything went smooth. Being diabetic can cause excessive water, which my babies had olympic size pools to swim around in, my third son was 5 weeks early and weighed 7 lbs 9 oz (I lost 40 pounds just from delivery), my last son was 3 weeks early and weighed 8 lbs 12 oz (again lost about 35 pounds at birth). And it took only five months to lose ALL the baby weight. Other than having to get their blood sugars up after birth, they are very active healthy boys and I am still a very healthy diabetic. My children are 4, 8, 14 & 17. So you see “L” diabetics are allowed to have children just as much as you are. Next time think before you speak, unless you know it all. Your post was very rude and extremely offensive.

L December 30, 2008, 5:31 PM

I had no diabetes and had three 9 and a half pound children born each at about 37 and a half weeks. Puh LEAZE! You need to realize that there is no way A N Y O N E should gain 100 pounds. I gained 50, then 10, then 10, because I was a bit overweight after the first one. You shouldnt gain 100 pounds each time and then wonder why two doctors are required to lift your swollen baby out of you!!!

There I didnt say that just because you have diabetes you shouldnt have children… did I? I SAID IT WAS RISKY. Hows taking care of yourself sound?

Anonymous December 30, 2008, 9:00 PM

Did “L” read the comments? A diabetic pregnant woman holds a lot of fluid no matter how carefully she eats. And when you are put on bed rest, you can eat nothing but plain veggies and gain weight! My babies were all large (9 lbs 8 oz, 9 lbs, 9.13 oz, both a little early, then a 7 lbs 11 oz born at 36 weeks) and I did not have diabetes, but was put on bed rest with the last one for other medical conditions. Congrats to the woman who was able to carry a 14 pound baby to term! I wish mother and child a happy and healthy life!

Anonymous December 30, 2008, 9:18 PM

It does not matter what happened to us just what happens now. i truely hope her and her baby are well and taken care of. In this day and age people need to let go everyone is different and no pregnant person is the same.

Diabetic Mom December 31, 2008, 9:50 AM

To L…I read what you are implying. Any pregnancy is risky. A woman can develop toxemia, pre-eclampsia, gestational diabetes, placenta-previa and even a breach presentation can be dangerous. Unfortunately these, and other conditions are not forseeable until you are far into your pregnancy. So for you to imply that just because a woman is diabetic, maybe she shouldn’t attempt to have a child (it’s risky) is just wrong. Your exact comment: “It is risky, How about taking care of yourself” well I took very good care of myself before, during and after each child. Unlike you, I was not fat before (or even shortly after) any of my pregnancies. I weighed between 102-110 lbs before becoming pregnant, my heaviest with one was 186 lbs, and after four children and being 40 years old, I still weigh 115 lbs now. And guess what…I still take very good care of myself. I certainly didn’t try to gain 84 lbs during one pregnancy, I spent almost 7 weeks in the hospital due to preterm labor so you can bet my diet was very well maintained, and yet the weight does pile on. Your comments are hurtful, you have no right to demand what a woman gains, how about you lose some weight because being fat is unhealthy too. You can have your opinions, but why not try to word it a little nicer? Sure, I don’t think gaining 100 lbs per pregnancy would be considered healthy, but if that is what happens, so be it. If it puts me at risk to have a child, then I would do so again. I would also protect my children to the death now.

As for this mother…way to go! I’m very proud that she made it to term and will be taking home a very healthy baby boy. After being monitored in the hospital, the babys blood sugars will be regulated (just like my boys) and will go home within a few days. My best friend had a 12 lb baby (due to gestational diabetes) and he went home after three days and is now a very healthy active 9 year old. ALL babies are gifts and EVERY woman should be able to make the choice to have a child…other peoples “opinions” be damned.

Aurora Rose December 31, 2008, 3:02 PM

To Diabetic Mom- Thank you for your comments! What courage! You put into words what we were all wanting to say to L. Thank gosh someone out there was finally able to insert that womans foot in her mouth! Hope it opened her eyes a bit, for the good of her health! To have such a one-sided mind like that has to be giving her headaches.

Krel January 1, 2009, 12:01 AM

oh good grief. Quit blaming the mom for this.

lavidjio January 22, 2009, 11:20 AM

lavidjio

Kate May 13, 2009, 1:10 PM

I have to laugh when I read the posts about the HUGE babies weighing 9 or 10 pounds. My 2nd was 9 pounds even and she was a cake walk to deliver compared to my first…

It is possible to have big babies even without having diabetes. My first was 12 pounds 5 ounces, 22 inches long. I had no diabetes. I didn’t eat horribly, and no one suspected that my son would be that big - which meant no c-section for me.

We skipped newborn diapers, right into size 1, and fit into 3 month clothes right away. He was just a big baby and that’s that.

2 weeks to go March 14, 2011, 12:25 PM

Some people need to remember one thing… It’s not always an easy road to walk down during pregnancy with all the risks and worries and tests and that’s for a regular pregnancy. For us moms who have high risk pregnancies it’s even harder. Trust me when I say that high risk pregnancies are more carefully monitored in every way thoughout the entire pregnancy and if the doctors think there is a problem they will handle it. If they think you are gaining too little or too much they will deal with it. Obviously her doctor didn’t think there was a problem so why should anyone else? I am a type 2 diabetic and 36 weeks pregnant, about to have my 3rd son via c-section in two weeks and he is estimated to be between 9-12 pounds. I have only gained 25-30 pounds the entire pregnancy and I have taken vary good care of myself. I was not fat before I got pregnant, I was wearing a size 12. Everyone who has a negative comment should keep it to themselves. Having a high risk pregnancy is very stressful to say the least and what people need to consider is that all of us who endure a high risk pregnancy with all the worries and concerns and stresses are so very happy to finally be able to deliver our babies that we really don’t care how other people feel with their negative opinions. All we care about is finally being able to hold out babies and to know that the worries of having a stillbirth or a baby with a neurotube or heart defect are finally over. There is so much more to think about than how much someone weighs. Some preople are really pathetic and I only hope they don’t have to go through what we had to go through as diabetic moms.

Pharmc720 April 6, 2011, 11:58 AM

Hello! ddefeae interesting ddefeae site!